GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starter differences?

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
94Woody
Isurf
rcktpwrd
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Starter differences? Empty
PostSubject: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Seems the wagon might need a new starter. Is there really a difference between the sedan and wagon? I have read that they are all interchangeable and the recommendations to go with the Corvette unit, not really interested in doing that...
So I ordered one from Rock Auto, a REMY 96207, it is listed as a wagon starter. The one I got didn't look like the pictures on line or the one in the car, it looked like the sedan one. I went to install it and the mounting area is about 3/8" shorter then the old (I think original) starter. So the long bolt is too long to hold anything. I didn't even try the short bolt... I am sending it back and getting a refund. Still need to figure something out for a replacement...

you can see the difference here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

what I ordered:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The one I got looked more like this: but the part number matched up correctly to what I ordered

Wanted to order a 'good' brand name and a new unit. Ended up with a part that didn't fit and made in China anyway! Seems REMY is now a part of BBB Industries... Although the BBB one on Rock costs more.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Do you have a reliable rebuilder nearby ? That would be my first choice if I didn't need it immediately.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Just put a Vette starter on it and be done with it.

There should be no difference at all between a sedan or a wagon LT1 Starter. Looking at RA they show the same starter for both a Caprice and an Impala SS, the REMY 96231. I didn't see any that specifically state they are for a wagon but I could have missed it.

There is a different PN for the starter used on the 4.3 V8 though. REMY 96111

If anything you bought the correct part but they sent you the wrong one. Costs more but with items like these I only buy local. If the part goes bad I don't want to deal with shipping it back and waiting for a new one.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am

Just put some washers on the bolt and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am

They sell starter bolts. Doesn’t a Vette starter install require a new bolt? Over a decade ago since I did that and forget the details.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 am

A few years ago I went round and round and round, and after cross referencing tons of part numbers came up with they are all basically the same.

I think you just got the wrong one in the right box (has happened to me before with a starter too).
I got a brand new Corvette one for under 100 on ebay (this was about 4 years ago), and it worked great (was a Denso unit).
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Other option is to just buy a new solenoid kit on Ebay and just install that, or have your starter rebuilt locally. Fleet vehicle places usually have a local electrical rebuilder they use, so find some place that has a bunch of delivery vehicles and ask their mechanic who they use.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am

i don't remember doing the starter on my sedan, but i've replaced the starter on my towpack wagon twice. I don't believe there is any difference in the part for either model or package.

First one was a NAPA starter - i've read on other boards people's overall opinion is napa brand is garbage-and that was my experience - only lasted 2 years and was $150 or so. I used napa because at the time i needed one right away and ebay and rock auto wasn't fast enough.

So after that one failed, i got the corvette style starter off ebay and as sprocket said, i too paid way less - i think about $85. Don't recall brand, but it's lasted longer than the napa one.

Bolts were all the same. Biggest difference is the corvette starter is shorter and fatter, making it a little tight to get it in there.

I made a video on the differences of the standard vs corvette starter

On a side note, i still have the worthless NAPA starter in a box - anyone ever take napa up on their lifetime warranty and get a free replacement?

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 am

What's the Napa starter not doing? If you put 12V directly on the motor, does it turn? Likely just a failed solenoid; those are cheap to replace on Ebay.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 11:14 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
What's the Napa starter not doing?  If you put 12V directly on the motor, does it turn?  Likely just a failed solenoid; those are cheap to replace on Ebay.
it began by having trouble starting until it just completely stopped starting - yup, did the test - it's just a big heavy dirty paperweight now
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 7:49 pm

I got a different stock replacement starter and it's also wrong! Same issue, mounting surface is about 3/8" shorter, making the stock bolts too long. Parts store didn't have bolts that would work.

original short side:
new short side:
original long side:
new long side:

I have never before had such issues replacing a starter!

I guess I'll see if the 'Vette starter is any better...
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm

well that IS really annoying. I've had plenty of jobs where the one part that's supposed to be the easiest ends up being a nightmare

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 4:32 pm

the vett starter is smaller and lighter
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 5:03 pm

i don't recall if this is who i bought mine from for my 96 wagon, but the price is about the same - quite a bit cheaper than the official RM version. also i think mine was listed as new vs remfrd [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 5:46 pm

i got mine from autozone a couple yrs ago. the only problem i had was the 1st one i got had a regular caprice starter in the box. i took it back and told them. they looked it up and their system had the correct picture of the vett starter. they gave me another bolted right up and been there since. i checked its $131.00

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 8:07 pm

I ended up getting the cheapest new 'Vette starter RockAuto had. I don't think it is any lighter then the stock starter, not that it really makes any difference in one of these cars. It sure is a different shape as we all know. The mounting area is the same thickness as the one that I took out unlike the last two I tried, so bolted right in. I did have to maneuver the wiring harness a good bit to get the small wire to reach and connect, which I hadn't read about. I only saw mention of having to move the main power wire by loosening the clamps. The main power wire was no issue since I also replaced that at the same time. It does sound different. Cool
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Lots of them will be a Caprice starter in the wrong box because so many people buy them and return their Caprice starter for the core. The place in whatever country rebuilds them doesn't know any better so they mark what it came in as and rebuild it.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Years ago was having starter problems. I repaired 2 seperate event failures. First fail was the solenoid, not too hard to fix, have to drill out pressed in dimples. It actually failed because the intake manifold leak in the back was drenching it with hot engine oil.

Second fail was the brushes and holder. Again not too hard to fix.

These gear reduction starters are very nicely made.
Windings hold up a long time on these and so do the gears.
I have 224,000 miles on the same starter with new parts. I am just doing what a rebuilder would have done.

94Woody and sherlock9c1 like this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2020 9:20 am

Totally agree with above post. If you're handy, once you fix your intake manifold leak, take the starter apart, clean it really good, lightly grease what needs to be greased, replace the brushes and solenoid, then you're back to brand new.

sdowney717 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter differences?   Starter differences? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter differences?
Page 1 of 1