GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

best tire pressure

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bgtrn

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Question Hi, seeking opinion on the best pressure for comfortable ride, not necessarily mileage, while maintaining good adhesion, control, etc? Thanks
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 pm

If on stock sized tires, follow the sticker in the door jamb.
Back to top Go down
booster

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 4:54 pm

I found that on our 96 RMW, the stock pressures on stock tires of 30 front, and 35 rear, were not what was good for handling, particularly understeer was really bad. Added a rear sway bar that helped and nearly reversed the tire pressures. Currently running 30 rear 32 front and that certainly also helps reduce the understeer and wandering. The only reason the rears are that high on the sticker is because they need it for load capacity if full or people and stuff to max allowable.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm

I should mention that I ran 35 front and rear when on 15s.
Back to top Go down
booster

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 4:19 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
I should mention that I ran 35 front and rear when on 15s.  

Stock tires on 15" were 225-75-15 and had good load capacity so unless you have reduced load rating on the tires by going lower aspect or such, the factory sticker, at least in 96, was 30 front and 35 rear. The rear weighs less than the front by quite a bit so no need to be high in back unless carrying big cargo of occupants.

Just set them at 30 and 30 if you have the capacity of stock tires and see how you like it. You may find it handles better with a bit more front pressure, or you may not, as everyone has different "likes" in handling. It certainly will ride better.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Not all stock 15s were 225 75 15s on wagons...

Also, on wagons, the weight distribution is a lot closer to 50/50 than you'd think...

35 all around on 15s gives good mileage, good handling, good ride, good wear, and good cargo capacity. From around 500 000km experience driving on them.
Back to top Go down
booster

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 pm

My understanding was that the wagons had 225-75-15 tires and sedans had 235-70-15 tires. Impala SS used 17" wheels, at least on the 94-96 Buicks.

The 225s have about 1000# more capacity per tire and higher aspect ratio so make sense on a heavy wagon.

Back to top Go down
clarence90

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 11:11 pm

I always follow the sticker on my car door to ensure the air pressure is enough and won't exceed.

sherlock9c1 and Rev Bob like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

best tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: best tire pressure   best tire pressure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

best tire pressure
Page 1 of 1