GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Primer for water based acrylic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

Primer for water based acrylic Empty
PostSubject: Primer for water based acrylic   Primer for water based acrylic Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am

'91 OCC with a respray that is not peeling or flaking. Looking to two tone the car with water based acrylic auto paint. This will be a DYI done in sections. Want to use acrylic because it is essentially non toxic and I don't have a booth or fancy protective equipment.

My question is this: Is there an alternative to expoxy primer? Is there an effective water-based primer? I don't need polyester high build because there is very little body work or rust.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Primer for water based acrylic   Primer for water based acrylic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 6:18 am

So are you thinking you need to prime before two toning? Because thats not neccessary.
Couple of questions.......
What color is area now that you plan on two toning?
What is new color going over it?

If it isnt a hard color to hide or achieve hiding, a sanded surface is all you need.
Ive been painting cars for 38 years and some colorss are tough to cover. So in these cases you would use a valueshade sealer to make things easier.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Primer for water based acrylic   Primer for water based acrylic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Roady Man: The car is all white curerently but has mold issues. When I wet sand and buff the mold spots they appear to go away but then come back. This is what made me believe I need a primer under the single stage water based acrylic.

As far as the proposed colors, I am thinking white over blue (1957 Fairlane blue). I can use the body line from the tail lights down for the blue. The hood, roof and pillars will be white. Muchas gracias for the reply and your wisdom.

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Primer for water based acrylic   Primer for water based acrylic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Try washing car with Mr.Clean to remove mold first and use bristle brush around moldings then see if it comes back. Do it twice just to make sure.

Fairlane blue will cover the white easily.

If after cleaning and no mold returns just scuff and paint no primer or sealer needed. Unless you have bare metal showing, then head to Autozone and buy an aerosol can of primer sealer, its a light blue can i think and spray bare metal spots and let dry tgen paint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Primer for water based acrylic   Primer for water based acrylic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Primer for water based acrylic
Page 1 of 1