GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best shocks for moog cc501

Go down 
+4
RedandBlack
booster
Walterf
Oldspower24
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldspower24

Best shocks for moog cc501 Empty
PostSubject: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 9:22 am

Just ordered moog cc501 rear springs for my 91 occ. Looking at getting shocks now. What are the best shocks to buy? Bilsteins are out of my budget. I'm debating between kyb and 9c1 monroe's
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 am

If you're not going to regularly be carrying heavy loads or towing, I found the KYB gave a nice ride on my 91 OCC. As you're probably aware, the cars came with self-leveling air suspension so you can get rid of the compressor and tubing and save a couple of pounds overall.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm

The KYBs are good shocks, I only took them off our RMW to put on Bilsteins. I was not unhappy with the KYB, but Bilsteins are very nice.

If yours is the same body in the rear as our 96, you may need to be careful about extended length. I got what they listed for the wagon back in 2013 when I got the car, and they stopped the wheel drop from going low enough to get the passenger side tire off without disconnecting the shocks. The next length up worked very well until I took them off this last summer.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 6:10 pm

I suppose I should add that when I speak of KYB, I am talking about the Gas-a-just series of monotubes, not the OEM replacements. I never OEM replacements in any shock brand as there are lots better choices. The monotubes are quite firm, but handle very well.

GENDAVIS likes this post

Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 pm

Never had a problem with my Monroe Severe Service, but some people here complain because they lose the boaty land yacht ride. It's firm, but nice.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am

RedandBlack wrote:
Never had a problem with my Monroe Severe Service, but some people here complain because they lose the boaty land yacht ride. It's firm, but nice.

Same here. like the way they firm up the ride, but not harsh
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am

Monroe SS are nice... on nice roads. Note where both members are located: FL where the roads are like glass. I have used Monroe SS and Bilsteins, and there is no comparison on rougher northern roads. I know Bilsteins "aren't in the budget", but they're really a buy once purchase.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 6:36 pm

Roads like Glass in FL? LMAO. Where at? The roads where I am are pure trash. I have to drive in both lanes on the road that leads to work. Go to either side at more than a couple miles an hour and your losing a rim.

That said, be careful with the SS Shocks because Monroe did something to them and it isn't nice. I put a complete set on my wagon and the front shocks were the normal bright yellow. The rears were painted black. Correct part numbers on them , correct boxes, etc. The shocks however are no where near as stiff as they should be. Feels like a standard issue Monroe shock.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 7:35 pm

Where Sprocket and RedandBlack live, the roads are nice. I'll still be willing to bet that the roads around Belleview are better than around here. We go from 100F in July to -30F in the winter. That makes things a little bumpy, lol
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm

I went all AC delco on my 94 rmw, but I was also keeping the rear self leveling suspension, and I'm still running the factory original springs, and the ride while not as soft as it was with the old shocks is still pretty good and better then my mothers 2001 Honda odyssey.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2021 6:32 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Where Sprocket and RedandBlack live, the roads are nice.  I'll still be willing to bet that the roads around Belleview are better than around here.  We go from 100F in July to -30F in the winter.  That makes things a little bumpy, lol

I will say that they take pretty good care of the main highways/interstates. Lots of roads here in Belleview (redneck country) are nothing but packed sand.

You are right though, the temps make a huge difference. Most of the roads back in Kentucky would bust apart by the time Winter was over.
Back to top Go down
Oldspower24

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and ordered the kyb gas a just. Everything came in today so I'll hopefully depending on the weather install them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best shocks for moog cc501   Best shocks for moog cc501 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best shocks for moog cc501
Page 1 of 1