GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No more Moog CC623 -- what now?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fizzix

Fizzix

No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Empty
PostSubject: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 5:36 pm

93 ..... so no tow package ... trying to get it more tow friendly

I tow my motorcycles and eventually want to get a camping trailer.

I have been searching a while and the Moog CC623 are discontinued and even places that claim to have them, come back with... 'Sorry we are actually out of stock'

KYB Gas Adjusts are on the way. Plus the SS LCA's and Hotchkis sways

I have read up on the AC Delco springs and I don't want the back end jacked up as far as the AC Delco's seam to leave the cars. I have tried searching the forums, but haven't had much luck with recent info.

I have been reading up on the bag in spring setup, but that is a fairly large endeavor without the self leveling equipment

Has anyone found other springs that will handle towing better?

Any suggestions are much appreciated
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 6:00 pm

I have the rear bags in my 96 RMW and they aren't very hard to install.  I removed the compressor a long time ago.  Fill port and gauge in rear storage box behind the door.  The bags go in without removing the springs if you want to do it that way.  Instructions say how to do it.

They don't change the height as much as standalone backs the aren't in the spring as they don't really get much longer, just firmer.  Nice to be able to soften up for daily and firm up when hauling heavier or towing the  utility trailer.

Last edited by booster on Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 6:02 pm

The tow package for a 93 was, for the most part, just a 3.23 axle ratio and self leveling air shocks The tow package is a V92 on the SPID for all years. You can install the system for self leveling if you find a good compressor, and hosing. The 94-96 will also work, but the installation would require some wiring and the hosing from for the 94-96. The 93 fits where the left dual muffler would be, and the 94-96 fits behind the left wheelhouse extension inside the bumper cover. The wiring for the TBI cars is probably there, you may even have the system, and the pump may be burned up. Most Buicks have the automatic leveling system, G67 on the SPID. If you are going to put air shocks on the car, have separate lines for them so you do not have cross pressurizing. Cross pressurizing will cause the car to want to lean further to the outside of the corner, a definite No-No. You could mount a manual compressor in the left rear storage compartment with a Y fitting, but you would still need check valves and relief valves on both lines to the shocks.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 6:18 pm

The Hotchkiss bar in the rear should keep it level as it is very large, I have them in mine. What you do want to do it chose your side to side level, based on front and rear heights and then use washers on the rear bar to preload it a bit to side to side level in the back. If the front is out too far out from leveling the rear, split the difference if you want. That said, two ports are always best to prevent air moving back and forth between the bags, as Fred stated.
Back to top Go down
Fizzix

Fizzix

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info and pointers guys!

I really like the bag in spring idea. Now that the Moog springs are definitely out, this is the direction I think I'm headed. I have read some say that it causes more friction in the spring?

I know the first owner put Posi on the car (he was a muscle car builder apparently). I don't know the ratio.

The car does not have V92 or G67 unfortunately. I have a few codes that are partly unreadable, but none are even close to those 2....

The car currently has a Class II hitch. I can get away with towing my utility trailer and motorcycle(s) with that.... Sent a msg to KDS for the DIY hitch kit.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Can't say on the friction, but I don't really see how it would be a problem even if there. The shocks slow down motion a lot more than a bag friction every could, I would think.

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2021 6:56 am

The bags move with the springs, and should not produce a measurable amount of friction. The only issue is wear on the bag itself.

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fizzix

Fizzix

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 3:44 pm

booster wrote:
The Hotchkiss bar in the rear should keep it level as it is very large, I have them in mine.  What you do want to do it chose your side to side level, based on front and rear heights and then use washers on the rear bar to preload it a bit to side to side level in the back.  If the front is out too far out from leveling the rear, split the difference if you want.  That said, two ports are always best to prevent air moving back and forth between the bags, as Fred stated.

Thank you for all of the pointers. I have Southside LCA's and the Hotchkis on the way.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to air bag systems

I noted the talk about 1700# bags and a manual system. That seems to make to most sense for me given I'm starting from scratch.

KDS DIY hitch has been ordered bounce

Back to top Go down
GENDAVIS

GENDAVIS

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 6:49 am

If you're still considering just rear springs I was able to find some at https://www.springsnthings.com/

They are variable rate, I believe an exact match to the Moog, and very much improved the ride and towing capacity for my '93.

If you have any questions for them, you could email laura@springsnthings.com and she is very quick with responding. Just wanted to offer that because I too couldn't find any good rear springs until I found them.

-David

Fizzix likes this post

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks David

That's good info. I have used the CC623's on two wagons and probably will be replacing the springs on at least one of my Fleetwoods.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more Moog CC623 -- what now?   No more Moog CC623 -- what now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No more Moog CC623 -- what now?
Page 1 of 1