GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another issue... Oil everywhere.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike

Mike

Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Empty
PostSubject: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 8:55 am

So putting miles on the project 95 73k tow package car. Notice oil puddle under car right at oil filter (I just changed). Hope I forgot to tighten it, unlikely. Crawl under and it's tight. I see oil but not active leaking. So I start the car Rev it up.... Yup pouring our under pressure. It looks to be coming from the "sandwich" adapter for what I believe to be for oil cooler. Is this rebuildable? What gasket does it take?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 9:57 am

Yes, that's a very common leak. Fel Pro [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] solves it.

Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 am

BTW if you are handy with a Dremel, that oil cooler adapter has a lot of room for improvement in port flow. When I take them off, I do a lot of smoothing of the radii to make them flow better.

Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 10:55 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Yes, that's a very common leak. Fel Pro [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] solves it.
I found this one in a search and ordered it. Is it the wrong one? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Also, it's worth pulling your oil filter to make sure you didn't double gasket it. Are you sure the old gasket came off with the old filter?

sherlock9c1 and Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 pm

I don't know about the ES72671, but I do know that there's a relationship between the o-ring thickness and the gasket thickness. Mismatch them, and you'll have an internal oil pressure leak that will cost you 10 psi. There's lots of discussion on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 4:09 pm

ES 72761 isn't an LT1 item and the 'Does it fit" calculator on Amazon states that it won't work.

It is used on Big Block Chevy engines, hummers, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 4:44 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
I don't know about the ES72671, but I do know that there's a relationship between the o-ring thickness and the gasket thickness. Mismatch them, and you'll have an internal oil pressure leak that will cost you 10 psi.  There's lots of discussion on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about it.

It is the correct gasket but come with other gaskets too. I imagine it fits other cars and trucks. Did the job last night, was pretty easy except getting the old paper gasket off ...that thing turned into stone. Took a wire wheel to get it off. Went back together easy and no more leak. Drove it to work to day we will see what breaks today. lol

94Woody and HendersonRacing514 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another issue... Oil everywhere.    Another issue... Oil everywhere.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another issue... Oil everywhere.
Page 1 of 1