GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another 305 TBI issue(s)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Another 305 TBI issue(s) Empty
PostSubject: Another 305 TBI issue(s)   Another 305 TBI issue(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:38 pm

So as you all know My boy Redbird will be taking over Ruby. Ruby's battery gave out and since the car isn't being driven, I hadn't gotten around to shelling out the coin so the car has sat for about 3 weeks.

I got on it today and jumped it off one of the other ones and let it run for a good half hour at idle while I put up Christmas lights (Hey I got it done before Christmas).

Walking past the car I noticed the aroma of burnt oil so I sauntered around looked under the hood. There is a fair bit of oil smoke coming out around the #7 cylinder (firewall on driver's side if I'm wrong on the number). I can't see exactly where it's coming out but smoke is there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So I move around the the passenger side and pull the dipstick. It's dry and rusty at the top and the bottome is oily rust!!!! WTF???
I wipe it and stick it back in and the same thing. I go set a rag and wipe the diptisck down with 30W and then squirt a few pumps from the oiler into the tube and try again and it's clean now. Whew......but crap I gotta drop the oil noiw cause I just flushed rust into the pan. CRAP!

Thoughts?

I firgure from the car sitting three weeks (maybe 4) the top of the tube drained dry and started to rust. This doesn't make me feel good about Jade who hasn't started for 3 months (no fuel getting to motor and me being SUPER busy with Bewberish drama of late).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another 305 TBI issue(s)   Another 305 TBI issue(s) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Sprocket I am pretty sure the dipstick rust is because of these crazy temperature swings and condensation starting
at the top and working its way down to the oil level.
The oil leaks were probably always there but after not running for 3 weeks,some oil got pushed out when you first
started the car and the oil pressure was at its highest point.
My 2 Cents
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Another 305 TBI issue(s)   Another 305 TBI issue(s) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 7:55 pm

thanks Jim,

I tend to agree about the rust issue. time will tell on the other (when it gets back on the road) got a few other leaks to contend with too on this car (power steering)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another 305 TBI issue(s)   Another 305 TBI issue(s) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Oh, the power steering leak. That hose was a pain in the ass for me to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another 305 TBI issue(s)   Another 305 TBI issue(s) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another 305 TBI issue(s)
Page 1 of 1