GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New speakers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 4:13 pm

I got new speakers for the wife's wagon and installed them today. Sorry no pics of the install. Got a set of Kenwoods, 6.5 for the front doors and 6x9 for the rear. I got a set of plastic spacers for the doors and also a full set of speaker harness connectors.

The rears took a little bit of work to fit into the stock brackets, a little hammer and plier work to tweak the brackets to allow the speakers to fully seat.

The front doors only required drilling new holes to screw the bracket into the door.

These are the brackets I used https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-6-5-to-6-75-Speaker-Adapter-Brackets-for-2002-up-Toyota-Lexus-SAT69/332061899978?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

6.5" Kenwood https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-181975-Kenwood-KFCS-1666.html
6x9" Kenwood https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-145253-Kenwood-KFC-6966S.html
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm

I’ve been putting off speakers forever....but it’s time.
Did those speakers ‘look’ factory after install? Meaning, did you have to cut/modify/discard the OEM door panel, or the factory speaker grill? I’m down with massaging sheetmetal, but once installed, ideally they will appear to be factory. I’m too old and crotchety for aftermarket speaker grills. And homemade boxes/enclosures 👴🏻
Good tip with the speaker brackets!
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Once installed they are invisible just like the stock ones. If you get up close on the doors you can kind of see the speakers. No need to modify the door panels or rear panels at all.

The front speakers could be installed without using the spacer bracket, but you would have to trim the metal a bit to clear the magnet and speaker basket.

The factory cloth on the rear panels was hanging and the wife used some 3M spray glue to put it back into place.

oldsmike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm

Awesome! I ordered the same speakers and brackets you did (cause I’m unoriginal like that).
My OCC acquired an aftermarket CD player (late 1990’s, I’m guessin) that I took out and replaced with a GM factory stereo.
So I’ve been sorting thru some hatchet-wiring. Reason I bring all this up is to ask....is speaker polarity important? If I have it backwards, does it effect sound quality/component longevity?

On an unrelated note, let me remind you how lucky you are to have a missus that appreciates wagons! Not all spouses are down with B-bodies, and, umm, makes it harder, uh....what I’m tryin to say is....the speakers I just ordered are being shipped to my work.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 1:50 pm

HAHA, thanks, she is a car person through and through!

Yes speaker polarity is important. More so that all the speakers are wired the same, otherwise the bass cancels out.

I used harness adapters to connect the speakers to the stock wiring, more so that I didn't have to cut the original wiring, but it makes it that much easier to install or remove. Looks like I forgot to post that...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-72-4568-GM-Speaker-Plug-Wire-Harness-Aftermarket-Speakers-Replace-Factory/201914707181?epid=4027561186&hash=item2f030deced:g:-~kAAOSww9xZCZ7p

I know all about repairing hacked up wiring and other stuff! The wife's 454SS was worked on by 'professionals' a lot before we were together...

Swaggerwagon and oldsmike like this post

Back to top Go down
oldsmike

oldsmike

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 am

I just ordered much of the speaker components today. The 6x9's were discontinued, got a different Kenwood model. I am redoing the window guides on all four doors and figured would be a great time for a speaker upgrade, I have the stockers in my 92 OCC. Thanks for sharing and I'll provide some feedback and pics in the coming weeks.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New speakers   New speakers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New speakers
Page 1 of 1