GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tbi wagons getting some positive press

Go down 
+2
Wojtek
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

tbi wagons getting some positive press Empty
PostSubject: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:52 pm

Walterf and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am

Nice article but it stuff that we already know that's why we love these cars !
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm

The '91-93 cars definitely had the better interior, and that was by design. The Roadmaster and Olds Custom Cruiser had the best gauges too.

Unfortunately a number of manufacturers introduce a new platform with lots of features and the quietly take content out in later years. My other car has a shocking amount of content reduction in the 7 model year run, in places visible and invisible.

One of my favorite features that came only on the '91 B-body was a heater core coolant bypass valve that was vacuum actuated. If your temperature knob was all the way cold, that valve would bypass the heater core and you'd literally have zero heat in the HVAC module in the dash. In hot climates, this would make a difference. Other vehicles have these valves and I may retrofit one onto my wagon whenever I have time.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
The '91-93 cars definitely had the better interior, and that was by design. The Roadmaster and Olds Custom Cruiser had the best gauges too.

Unfortunately a number of manufacturers introduce a new platform with lots of features and the quietly take content out in later years. My other car has a shocking amount of content reduction in the 7 model year run, in places visible and invisible.

One of my favorite features that came only on the '91 B-body was a heater core coolant bypass valve that was vacuum actuated. If your temperature knob was all the way cold, that valve would bypass the heater core and you'd literally have zero heat in the HVAC module in the dash.  In hot climates, this would make a difference.  Other vehicles have these valves and I may retrofit one onto my wagon whenever I have time.

You may need the harness for the 91, because it has the return vacuum hose for the bypass valve. There are some variances in the wring. I found them when I was installing the 454, and trying to get everything to work.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:

One of my favorite features that came only on the '91 B-body was a heater core coolant bypass valve that was vacuum actuated. If your temperature knob was all the way cold, that valve would bypass the heater core and you'd literally have zero heat in the HVAC module in the dash.  In hot climates, this would make a difference.  Other vehicles have these valves and I may retrofit one onto my wagon whenever I have time.

I had that valve also in my 95 Jeep Cherokee (same part) and it left me on the side of the road when the plastic cracked (also broke on two of my wagons but when I was at home), so not a fan myself lol.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm

I see similar valves on most trucks at work. Some are factory and work with the knob on the HVAC panels. The best ones are a much simpler design. A 1/4 turn valve installed in the hose. Open for heat and close it to keep hot coolant away. Pretty simple. No wires, no custom parts.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm

I think most 70's era GM cars with A/C had a heater control valve...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tbi wagons getting some positive press   tbi wagons getting some positive press Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tbi wagons getting some positive press
Page 1 of 1