GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VATS problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 12:05 pm

I bypassed the VATS well over a year ago and know for certain that the resistance is in the proper range as it has worked reliably for most of that time. Lately, I have had the issue again. All can think of is that I put the resistors on the other side of the plug and it's loose or adding resistance to the line (it seems like a good clean connection and it tucked up under the dash.

It has happened at least 5 times in the past few days and last night it took two failed in a row. I also noticed last night immediately prior to stopping before the occurrence that my dash lights went very dim (headlights on) and then went black for a couple min. turning the headlights off and back on restored the lights the bulbs as a well as the LED display.

The Pass fault light now randomly comes on while driving too. The other night I got home and the pass key light was on for most of the drive. I turned the key off then restarted okay but the pass key light stayed lit!

I'm leaning to something else besides the resistance, some electrical gremlin......any ideas?
I'm growing very weary on this one. This has been the most troublesome wagon I have owned yet!
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 12:10 pm

The VATS will not shut off a running car. Are you saying it took three attempts to start your wagon?

The lights dimming symptom usually indicates a grounding problem
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
The VATS will not shut off a running car. Are you saying it took three attempts to start your wagon?
 yep!  Sat there in the car for 15 minutes last night in an empty parking lot in the rain....thinking why do I drive a 26 year old car

I have done this on 4 other cars B & F bodies and never had an issue before.  

I recently read somewhere that there is an actual theft deterrent module that is separate from the PCM.  Anyone know about this?  I read that the PCM only shuts of the fuel not the starter.  I definitely have the no starter condition.

going to have to dig into the FSM this weekend.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 9:01 am

Yes, there is an actual module for this terrible 90s GM feature. A true VATS delete involves bypassing it and tuning it out of the PCM. Pretty simple task but it requires the proper software to access and tune the PCM. It was the first thing I did to my current wagon.

...thinking why do I drive a 26 year old car

I have been having these same thoughts over the last couple months. I LOVE my wagon but using it as a daily driver isn't enjoyable. All the looking around at newer vehicles isn't helping. Pretty sure my time in the wagon is heading towards an end. Would prefer a much older car for a toy.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 1:58 pm

vivix likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 9:52 pm

Hopefully that is the post I was thinking of. Not clicking the link to find out, lol.
Back to top Go down
vivix

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Sprocket wrote:
good info on this thread:

https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/pass-key-ii-information-aka-vats.227294/page-11#post-11949745

Just did this today, plus the ECU tune, plus repairing some seriously sketchy wiring that had been hacked to install a remote start. Happy to have my car running again

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 10:14 am

What many of these "Pro" installers do when they install electrical devices can be terrifying to find.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am

94Woody wrote:
What many of these "Pro" installers do when they install electrical devices can be terrifying to find.
so true and there is something in mine that's not factory and have no idea what the plug is for....

Anyhoo, will be calling you up about the PCM flash, have the cable and software now. Also have the wiring diagram and instructions to by pass the relay that grounds out the starter as part of VATS.

Dealing with multiple car issues this week Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VATS problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: VATS problems    VATS problems  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VATS problems
Page 1 of 1