GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nuttyboy812

Nuttyboy812

Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Empty
PostSubject: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 1:20 am

Hello, I have a 192 Olds Custom Cruiser that I got about a month and a half ago, and I've finally tried opening the opening the compartment opposite the one housing the spare tire and jack, only to find that it doesn't open. I put the key in, and it turns to the right more than 90 degrees, and then nothing. I've tried wiggling the hell out of it, but that didn't accomplish anything. Does anybody have tips for getting that thing open?
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 7:06 am

When you say more than 90 degrees, how much more are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 8:06 am

If you can't get the lock open, You can remove the entire panel, pop the fasteners around the perimeter, then remove the screws holding the striker to the top. Once you have the door open, you can check the operation of the lock. It is possible to remove the tumbler from the lock, but to the best of my knowledge you can not remove the lock from the door. The door is held on by a row of screws along the bottom of the door. What color is your interior?
Back to top Go down
Nuttyboy812

Nuttyboy812

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 11:46 am

Buickman1 wrote:
Probably about 20 degrees.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If you can't get the lock open, You can remove the entire panel, pop the fasteners around the perimeter, then remove the screws holding the striker to the top. Once you have the door open, you can check the operation of the lock. It is possible to remove the tumbler from the lock, but to the best of my knowledge you can not remove the lock from the door. The door is held on by a row of screws along the bottom of the door. What color is your interior?
I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that far, but I might have no choice. It's a blue interior.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 12:24 pm

Nuttyboy812 wrote:
Buickman1 wrote:
Probably about 20 degrees.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that far, but I might have no choice. It's a blue interior.

If you remove the tumbler, the door can be replaced, and you can install the tumbler in a donor door. I do not have a blue one right now, but If I do get one, I will put it in the parts for sale section.
Back to top Go down
Nuttyboy812

Nuttyboy812

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Buickman1 wrote:
I've actually checked this again, not in the dark this time, and it turns almost 180 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2021 5:37 pm

It should turn about 1/3 turn (~120-140 deg.) to open the compartment.
Back to top Go down
Nuttyboy812

Nuttyboy812

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 am

Alright, gonna necro this thread a bit but I have an update. I finally decided to monkey with it again last weekend, and I got it open. I basically popped the interior panel out with the key in the compartment door and for some reason when I moved the panel a certain way, the door popped open. Turns out the issue was that whoever had closed it before me just forced it closed with the key in the locked position, instead of closing it and then locking it the way it seems to want to work. Found a free pair of heavy duty jumper cables in there.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 4:02 pm

You are right. To close the door you must have the key in the unlock position then close it and turn the key to the locked position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.   Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Compartment will not open on a '92 OCC.
Page 1 of 1