GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
conrad2on40

conrad2on40

Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies. Empty
PostSubject: Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.   Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 8:50 am

Need some help fellas, I have a 96 RMW and just getting it back out on the road from winter storage. First trip into town on the way home the engine started to run rough and then it died. I pulled over and raised the hood to take a look and thought I found a loose battery cable. Wiggled it and turned the key and she started back up and ran ok on the way home. I tightened both battery cables as soon I got home to the tools and thought it was a fluke. I started the car a couple of days later and just let it run in park for about 10 minutes, low and behold it started sputtering and running rough then died. I got back in and tried to start it back up and it just cranked and cranked. Nothing. Waited about 20 minutes and tried it again, fired right up and ran good for about 10 minutes. Then it did the same thing as before, died after running rough.  Mad
A couple of days later I checked the fuel pressure with a friends fuel pressure tool. I have 45 psi with just the key on and 40psi with the car running, when it will start. Pulled the codes and it's got P0372 & P0336. P0372 is "Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A Too Few Pulses", and P0336 is "Crank position sensor". I have read on here that the P0336 should not keep the LT1 from running and really doesn't do much on this engine. But, what the heck is the P0372? Has anyone had experience with this code before?  Question

I have in the last year or so replaced the spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor on the ignition system.

Any ideas about what to try next is appreciated
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.   Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 11:54 am

372 is also a too few timing pulses. I think the actual crank sensor is only for OBDII on these engines but the Opti pickup would be where the signal comes from for running. Probably time for a new opti or clean it up well and set the gap on the sensor. It could also have a loose connector, possible on the opti.
Back to top Go down
94 caprezy

PostSubject: Re: Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.   Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies. Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 11:45 pm

Bad fuel? You mentioned it just came out of storage. I had a tank go bad on me, it would start and idle, but as soon as I hit throttle it sounded like 4 plug wires were removed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.   Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Intermittently dies, runs rough then dies.
Page 1 of 1