GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine rpm waves and dies - why?

Go down 
+6
Cadet57
Dutch Pete
Fred Kiehl
benn
BigBlackBeaSSt
MarcinV8
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Empty
PostSubject: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:12 am

I have some problem. The Engine rpm waves and in the end the engine dies. It happens most times when it is warm.
Here you play some movies and hear it yourself. Any ideas what may be the cause?
Forgot to mention, this is stock 305 TBI Cool

Last edited by MarcinV8 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 am

The videos are set to private. Change the setting so we can hear. Smile
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

Try now
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am

Have you got a vacuum leak?
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Have you got a vacuum leak?
I will check it on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:32 am

we had a truck that ran exactly like that. turned out to be the EGR valve. only happend when it warmed up.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 am

Appreciated. I'll check everything on tuesday when I drive back to my mechanic. I don not have garage to work it on my own and its wet and cold outside.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 pm

My experience with that symptom is a failing fuel pump (happened twice). It is nearly impossible to check the fuel pressure. The prescribed way is to put a gauge between the filter output, and the fuel line to the engine. There is a fitting available for the TBI, but it is difficult to install. Pressure should be at least 9 psi to idle, but is supposed to be 15 psi.

It could be the ground at the right side of the thermostat housing. remove the bolt, clean the hole with WD40 (or similar) and a round wire brush (gun cleaning brush), the entire bolt, and the lugs. The ground is for the computer and the O2 sensor. If it is the ground, you will get a rich mixture.

Or the PCV valve.

The symptom will generally not throw a code, or if it does, it will be a lean mixture.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 am

I'm thinking vacuum too.
Pete
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 am

My car made the same exact noise when it had a stalling issue. It was the fuel pump. I replaced it with Ac Delco p/n:25167089 . However, you should check your fuel filter as well, could be a clogged filter.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the noise:

Also, check to see if your fuel spray looks like this. Generally means a bad pump or sending unit:

Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 am

I think that if it would be fuel pomp, fuel filer or injectors the car would do this "waving" right from the start. Last time it happened after 20min of driving. But I will check everything mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 am

MarcinV8 wrote:
I think that if it would be fuel pomp, fuel filer or injectors the car would do this "waving" right from the start. Last time it happened after 20min of driving. But I will check everything mentioned above.

Don't be so sure. When it happened to me it would drive fine for a few minutes then die again. Also, it could be the ignition control module. It caused the same issues as this on my car, as it sends a pulse to the computer to cut fuel when its bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 am

Ignition module. under the cap. its shorting out, need more lube.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 am

Cadet57 wrote:
MarcinV8 wrote:

Don't be so sure. When it happened to me it would drive fine for a few minutes then die again. Also, it could be the ignition control module. It caused the same issues as this on my car, as it sends a pulse to the computer to cut fuel when its bad.

Now I'm more worried. I will start with the simple thing - EGR and intake manifold gasket.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 am

MarcinV8 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
MarcinV8 wrote:

Now I'm more worried. I will start with the simple thing - EGR and intake manifold gasket.

I wouldn't be too worried. The fuel pump, while an annoying job isn't super difficult, and the ignition module is right below the cap, so thats easy to change too.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 am

Cadet57 wrote:
MarcinV8 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
MarcinV8 wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried. The fuel pump, while an annoying job isn't super difficult, and the ignition module is right below the cap, so thats easy to change too.

I know. The fuel pomp is new (previous owned changed it right before I bought the car). But I didn't check the ignition module. The car spent almost 3 months in repair shop - I want to drive finally Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

I had a new pump fail in one month, and the replacement failed in a year and a half. The original problem was a torn rubber hose between the fuel pump and the metal output line in the sending unit. I replaced the hose and the pump died about a month later, then I replaced the pump with a Bosch, and it died a month after that. I made the mistake of putting a replacement Bosch pump in, and that is the one that lasted a year and a half. I now have AC Delco pumps in both of my wagons. The symptoms were the same in the first three cases...idle swooping up and down. The last pump failure...stalled a couple of times, then just would not start.

If you are going to replace the ignition module on the distributor, remember to put heat sink compound (white paste from the electronics store, not the automotive parts store) on the bottom of the module, or it will quickly fry.

Do not replace the intake manifold gasket or the EGR valve, you will be wasting your time and money.

You can check the EGR valve without pulling it. Disconnect the hose, and use a vacuum pump to suck down the line. It will open the valve and if it changes (dies) then the valve is good. You can also squirt some water with a little dishwashing liquid (about 3 drops per quart) around the gasket of the intake manifold, and if it sucks it in, and the engine idles correctly for a few seconds, then it has a leak...if it does not, you do not have a leak. You can also squirt some on the vacuum hoses to check them as well (same results = same diagnosis). The PCV valve is an easy and cheap fix too. Do the easy cheap stuff first.

Listen to the people here. They have been working with these car for a long time and know what they are talking about. I had to figure all this out by myself, because I did not know about the forum until I had the White Elephant about a year. By that time I had gone through most of the problems that occur with these cars, plus some self inflicted ones.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Look at what Fred boldfaced above. I think it's either the Fuel pump or that stupid little rubber hose. I have a sticky on here on how to drop the tank. I would drop it and check that hose first. I had a bad pump, swapped in another one and didn't notice the hose was split.

I spent the next couple of weeks, changing fuel filters, rebuilding the throttle body, changing that ignition module, cap, wires. rotor, only to find out the problem was still back in the tank.
On the upside, I KNOW the fuel delivery system is good now, but I spent over a hundred dollars for nothing. I'm sure parts in Poland are a bit higher.

Even with the split hose, the spray pattern at the TBI still 'looked' ok, but it wasn't enough.

I had two TBI cars have the exact same sound and both times it was in the tank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Listen to the people here. They have been working with these car for a long time and know what they are talking about.
That's why I ask. I'll check everything listed here, and I will start from checking the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 10:55 am

I had a similar problem with mine. How many miles on yours?

Turns out it was the distributor on mine. The shaft was worn out, so the idle air control kept chasing the timing and over/under adjusting eventually causing the engine to stall...
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm

He has something about 93 000 miles
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:26 pm

MarcinV8 wrote:

Shouldn't be what I had an issue with then - I have about double that on mine.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 pm

MarcinV8 wrote:
Little correction, my wagon has about 146 650 miles Rolling Eyes
They checked everything you guys mentioned. The fuel pump is working properly, fuel filter is new, EGR work perfect. Everything is fine.
It turned out that the cause of this waving is timing chain.They set the ignition and the waving stopped. Now I'm waiting for new timing chain and cams. cheers

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 3:37 pm

The timing chain is seldom the issue, but when it is, you have to replace it. You get the gears with the chain, not the cam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I figured it. I just went threw the same thing. But I changed the ignition module. then set it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:22 pm

one of these days it really will be the fuel pump,.. Laughing

You are right on carlos,. i think marcins' mechanic is out for a little money,. i doubt the chain is that loose,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 pm

It's funny how there were about 4 different possiblities for the same symptoms.....after having to do 3 fuel pumps in less than a year, I'm biased, lol.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Just thinking about what MarcinV8 wrote. I if they set the timing, and it stopped, why does he need a timing chain? Sounds like a ripoff if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
gears with the chain, not the cam.
I meant gears, damn translator.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Just thinking about what MarcinV8 wrote. I if they set the timing, and it stopped, why does he need a timing chain?
Because it is loose. The car has almost 150k miles and probably no one ever changed it. When I drove it back home I figured out that probably no one invested any money in this car, there were so many tiny broken things. It was just some fun to drive (sometimes) car but when it needed investment - hmm, it cost money. Previous owners should be beaten with a baseball bat.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Sounds like a ripoff if you ask me
If I had proper conditions like quite a big garage, lots of tools and some spare caprice for parts I believe I would do it myself - with your help of course. I'd ask a lot questions Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 7:58 am

I am not in front of the car to see the actual parts, so I can not judge the condition. Timing chains have worn out before, so your mechanic may be correct. The timing chain is not absolutely tight, but it does have its limits as far as being loose.

If you need a Factory Service Manual for the car, they are often on ebay. Pricing can be as low as $15 + shipping. The 91, 92, or 93 manuals are all the same, except, I believe the 91 does not have the information about the 5.7 liter engine.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 am

all years avail currently

Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Sprocket wrote:
all years avail currently

Thanks! I have to buy this. I only have Haynes repair manual
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Nope, It's probably not the timing chain. But I will replace it anyway just to be sure...
My friend visited me and he found three errors instantly; EGR, ignition and some other. He diagnosed it without a computer using only a piece of some wire found on the street that he put in the diagnostic socket, and the "check engine" started to blink... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Now he's got my wagon . I hope he will do it fast.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am

What a day! I'll write you guys what happened when I'll be sure what I heard today about my wagon. This is fntastic news Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm

So it turned out that the engine in my wagon is a crate engine Goodwrench 5.7 (part number 10066036), not the stock 305. Laughing The injectors, throttle body, intake and the computer is from 305. Maybe this is the reason why the car doesn't work as it should. So now I look for pair of perfect working 5.7 injectors Cool
I'm quite happy because what can be better that big displacement? Only bigger displacement Cool

I hope that after reprogramming the computer it will work better, but I will have to buy injectors for 5,7.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Crate motor being suffocated by a TBI?

Time to make it FUN.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Crate motor being suffocated by a TBI?

Time to make it FUN.
Unfortunately it will be TBI. I got the injectors.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:10 am

You only need the PROM in the computer to have the 5.7 programming. You do not have to program the entire computer.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

marcin,. i,m pretty sure the throttle body and injectors are the same for the 305/350,.

I used to go here for my info about 10 yrs ago,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:01 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
marcin,. i,m pretty sure the throttle body and injectors are the same for the 305/350,.

I used to go here for my info about 10 yrs ago,.

Nick
Unfortunately they are not the same. The 5.7 injectors have bigger flow. Thanks for the link, I can see few very interesting informations Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 am

So.. it's been a long time Embarassed

It turned out that I have to rebuild the engine, completly. I have all the parts, finally!. Now I have to repair bearing shells (don't know if this is the right name), and few other parts like new valves, than program the computer.
There is a small chance to get this running by the end of this month.
Updates soon.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 am

That really sucks. It is hard to believe that the crate motor didn't last longer than that. they are basically the same as the OEM 5.7 which usually last about 350K miles or more.

You only have to get the prom for the computer. I may have one. they are small and easy to replace.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm

It is inevitable if you drive without engine oil most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Who drives without engine oil except for teenagers who only fill the gas and expect it to go forever.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Who drives without engine oil except for teenagers who only fill the gas and expect it to go forever.
Damn f%&g idiot previous owner. What can I say, I have to rebuild the engine and he will be fine for another 20 years Twisted Evil or as long as UE will let me keep it.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 1:40 am

Good news! My Wagon is working. He now has 5.0 TBI engine (the same as the original) with around 54 000 miles on it. The old engine is completly damaged.
Now the car is in the garage for the winter, he will hit the road in 2013 Smile
I will have to check the transmission, because its generating some weird sounds but it drives fine. It costed quite a lot of money so now I can't sell the car for like another 5-8 years Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 am

I am glad to hear that you have finally fixed your car.

I have so much money in both of my cars, I can never sell them. I will probably be buried in one of them.
Back to top Go down
MarcinV8

MarcinV8

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Few pictures ... I wasted a lot of time and money trying to repair old engine. I should buy an engine long ago but who would know.. after taking the engine out, disassembling it it appeard that repair cost is higher than buying new one. My friend sold me an engine from his Firebird because he bought some time ago some 5,3l and was lacking motivation to install it in his Firebird. Well, now he has a lot of motivation Wink

Engine out...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looks like Caprice offroad

New Heart

This is the only one Caprice Station Wagon (european version) in such good condition in Poland. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Glad you got another engine and dont worry,after a few years of driving the wagon you will find
yourself very attached to it.Have had my first wagon going on 9 years and I just cant imagine
ever selling it!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Glad to hear you are back in business. Too bad is cost so much effort and money to get this far, but you will love it when it is running correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine rpm waves and dies - why?   Engine rpm waves and dies - why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine rpm waves and dies - why?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next