GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rear control arms ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

rear control arms ? Empty
PostSubject: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Went to the junk yard today, they have a 96 Caprice sedan. Looks like it was a donk in a former life. Has aftermarket/custom front upper control arms that look to give a 4-6 inch lift! The body is in pretty good condition, aside from the front fenders are gone.

I'm interested in the rear control arms to replace a partially bent one on the wagon... However, the one in the yard has some really nice looking tubular adjustable control arms. I didn't take them as I'm not sure if they are longer or completely custom? It had the stock aluminum wheels on it and the rear wheels were still touching the ground! They have the cars up on rims welded together that get the frame a couple feet off the ground...

Would it be worth it to go back and grab them? Lowers are single adjustable, I think the uppers were also single adjustable but didn't get a great look at them...

We did grab the wiper board and the optispark.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 5:21 pm

Think I might have found the answer to my questions on eBay...

Rears look like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163326299294?hash=item2607018c9e:g:luEAAOSw~2hby9AY
And it says they are extended...

fronts look like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163613502618?hash=item26181fec9a:g:NJEAAOSwnDRcl4Ml
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 7:25 pm

Pull them and sell them on ebay. Support your habit.

Sprocket, Serendipity96 and AnniesSS like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:

I though about doing that as well. If we go back soon and the car/parts are still there I will try and grab the stuff...

AnniesSS likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 3:27 pm

Per the sellers site they say they will work on a wagon . As Fred mentioned I'd pull them off and sell them especially at 400 bucks a pop for the rears
Back to top Go down
AnniesSS

AnniesSS

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2022 2:56 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

hahah our habit! Razz

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 9:09 pm

Another Caprice sedan has shown up at the junk yard, might head there this weekend...

Once we get a decent lower control arm to replace the slightly bent one, I will need to replace the bushings. I rebuilt the front end with all poly bushings, thinking of the same in the rear. I'm a big fan of the Energy Suspension black bushings and have used them in several different vehicles with great results. The front feels great, what an improvement over the worn original parts!
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 2:02 pm

We went to the yard today. The '92 Caprice looked to be a 9C1/cop car, had the certified dash in it and an extra dome light between the sun visors. Unfortunately, the entire rear was already missing including the control arms. The car had a bunch of stuff done to it, headers and a lot of engine dress up stuff. The trunk was closed and locked so I couldn't get a look at the SPID sticker.

rear control arms ? DenFoaUh

We did come across a '93 Fleetwood Brougham, body looked to be in great shape, but the underside was pretty crusty, but we were able to get the lower control arms out of it. The arms are a bit crusty, but they are not bent. I will clean them up and change out the bushings and then swap them into the car. Most of the interior was gone. I did take the under-carpet rear heat vents. We also go the set of four horns from the Caddy. I didn't get any pics of the Caddy.

Also grabbed a 18mm rear sway bar from a '99 Grand Marquis.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 2:26 pm

You only needed the horns from the passenger's side. One wire across the front of the core support will connect them.

While you have them in hand, you could weld a plate across the bottom to strengthen the arms.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 8:03 pm

Started on cleaning up the arms tonight. A little PB Blaster on the bolts and the Milwaukee 12v stubby impact removed the bolts easy enough. I love this tool! A lot of mainly surface rust on the arms, the sway bar mounts on the other hand are heavily rusted and pretty much junk. The Caddy had a New Jersey club sticker on it, and the underside looked like it had seen either salt water or winter roads.

rear control arms ? TVpvnjmh

rear control arms ? WRbciUeh

rear control arms ? V6D1nEvh

rear control arms ? ZTDRpIZh

A buddy has a media blast cabinet so we will be able to really clean them up. Also planning on boxing them in while I'm at it. Same buddy has a welder so it should be easy enough to add a piece of steel across the bottom. Thinking of going across only where the sides are flared out and the arm is a constant width. Basically where the sway bar mount was to about the same place on the other end. Looks like a 1.5"-2" wide by 15"-16" long should do it.
I also have a set of poly bushings coming, only going to use them on the lower arms and leave the uppers alone.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 9:24 pm

As rough as those look welding a boxing plate sounds like a good idea.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm

They cleaned up decently, didn't box them. I removed the old bushings and shells. Got some very cheap new bushings just for the shells. Removed the rubber from the new ones, installed the shells and poly bushings into the arms. Might get them installed in the car in the next day or two.

rear control arms ? 2NGTRfXh

rear control arms ? XVggEteh

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 4:15 pm

I got the 'new' lower arms in today. Wasn't too bad of a job to do. Also found the source of a squeak in the suspension, the bend on the arm was enough that when the car was twisted, like turning into an uphill driveway, the arm would rub the frame.

bent arm:
rear control arms ? DXWivNIh

rear control arms ? EdwljRnh

alongside one of the new ones:
rear control arms ? VvdYOZQh

rear control arms ? WWRtTvEh
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 11:31 am

Well done!
Also, didn’t know fleetwood arms would fit our wagons.
Good info

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 1:20 pm

All of the arms on all of the B and D body cars are interchangeable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear control arms ?   rear control arms ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear control arms ?
Page 1 of 1