GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UMI rear control arms and self leveling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PatDTN

UMI rear control arms and self leveling Empty
PostSubject: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 am

I bought both upper and lower control arms for my '96 wagon. Beautiful arms to look at indeed. I noted that there are no holes for mounting the ball screw for the self leveling sensor. Anybody else run into that? I want to keep that feature even though I bought Moog cargo coil springs that will be much stouter. I have a set of airlift 1000 bags to use.
Back to top Go down
http://www.patdonahue.com
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Why can't you drill & tap a couple of holes to mount the level sensor?
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Why can't you drill & tap a couple of holes to mount the level sensor?

I didn't need to tap the hole as there was a nut on the end. I used that though I'd have preferred to catch more threads.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 2:05 am

I wouldn't imagine that there is a whole lot of stress on the switch mount. Maybe some locktite on the threads is all.
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 am

I did work the switch through its range and it moves quite easily. I think it'll be just fine. On the other upper control arm there was an attachment point for a clip to keep the wire to a sensor in the diff from flopping. I can either cable tie that or maybe do some more drilling. Even as meaty as these arms are they're no match for a sharp bit and a drill press.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UMI rear control arms and self leveling   UMI rear control arms and self leveling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UMI rear control arms and self leveling
Page 1 of 1