GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine Dress up ideas?

Go down 
+2
Buickman1
1991BlueBertha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

Engine Dress up ideas?  Empty
PostSubject: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 10:14 am

I've got my 68 project up and running now so I have some time to focus on the Wagon... and an upcoming show I want to put her in..... So, my question is, what DIRECT fit valve covers, and other dress up items are available for the 305s? Some of the chrome valve covers i've seen , state you cant use the OE PCV valve and filler etc.... just wanting something direct replacement if possible... car runs great and I dont want to change anything there... going to do a deep detail and cleaning under there shortly and touch up some paint on the block other areas and figured a little old school chrome would go well with the overall theme of the car..... does anyone here have any photos of stuff they've done under the hood to clean em up a little and set them apart from others? Nothing big... just something to look decent.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 10:59 am

no one?
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 11:02 am

Sorry, my 305 is tired and worn (230k mi), so I don't have any plans to dress it up.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 1:19 pm

Summit Racing should have the valve covers you need I'm detailing my engine compartment (will it ever end) but I've got an LT 1
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 1:44 pm

I did some intake mods that look good.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The hat must be facing the front of the engine, or you can have problems with the mixture in different cylinders. You can also use a full height hat, and no spacer to clear the injector tower.

I put the fans from a 93 FW with a couple of relays, and a temp switch in the cooling system. That is why the large shroud is not there. You may have to remove some of the shroud to get the intake to cross over. You can not direct the intake at any angle to avoid the shroud, or the mixture will be affected. The fan mod is fairly easy. The upper and lower radiator brackets will bolt up to the car. You could use aftermarket fans in place of the FW fans and still use the FW radiator brackets. I have one fan come on with the car running, and the second when it reaches the temp switch trigger point, or when the AC is engaged.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAD_WAG

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2023 3:51 pm

Here is my son's 92 Caprice skirt. I did a lot of work in the engine bay.

rcktpwrd, Wojtek and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 pm

BAD_WAG wrote:
Here is my son's 92 Caprice skirt.  I did a lot of work in the engine bay.

What is the routing for your belt? I go over the alternator pulley, around the PS pulley, over the WP pulley, and under the crank pulley.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BAD_WAG

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
BAD_WAG wrote:
Here is my son's 92 Caprice skirt.  I did a lot of work in the engine bay.

What is the routing for your belt? I go over the alternator pulley, around the PS pulley, over the WP pulley, and under the crank pulley.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fred - Hmm...you're on to something there, good eye. Looking at the older pics, pre-engine maintenance, that is how the belt was routed. I'll have my son fix it. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2023 7:45 pm

I have used that routing for over 10 years.

BAD_WAG likes this post

Back to top Go down
AMH_92

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2023 10:00 pm

Those black "corporate" engines are bleh, they should be Buhog red, Chevy orange, or Olds gold IMO. You could pull the aluminum intake and polish it, the coolant crossover gaskets in front are usually shot or going anyway. Some of the aluminum engine brackets and pieces-parts could be polished too.

BAD_WAG likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAD_WAG

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 pm

AMH_92 wrote:
Those black "corporate" engines are bleh, they should be Buhog red, Chevy orange, or Olds gold IMO. You could pull the aluminum intake and polish it, the coolant crossover gaskets in front are usually shot or going anyway. Some of the aluminum engine brackets and pieces-parts could be polished too.

Thanks. Yep, he has more to do on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Dress up ideas?    Engine Dress up ideas?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Dress up ideas?
Page 1 of 1