GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Condensation issues

Go down 
+5
Sprocket
200OZ
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
94X2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

Condensation issues Empty
PostSubject: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 am

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and what they did to correct it. A couple weeks ago I noticed the 95 was getting wet on the pass side floor. It didn't smell like anti freeze so I assumed the drain for the ac was clogged. I checked the drain, seemed to be clear. I started keeping a close watch on it and it doesn't appear to have a leak anywhere but I'm getting a LOT of condensation under the dash on the pass side. Yesterday I drove the 94 LDM and discovered the exact same issue. Again, drain is clear and can't find signs of a leak. Could it be that it's just so hot and humid the ac is working hard? I never noticed this before.

Jon

BTW off my own topic but after having the 95 I hate those 94 mirrors. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 am

Look under the passenger knee pad (under the dash) for a big black box. Run your finger around the seal between the top and bottom halves to check for water. If it is dry, hose down the windshield while looking under the dash with a flashlight.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:16 pm

I've checked the box on the 95. I can't tell for certian but it doesn't appear to be leaking from the seal. I've left the bottom panel off and I get condensation on the bottom of the box. I haven't messed with the 94 much since this was yesterday evening that I found it leaking. I wondered if it was humidity but if so seems like all of the cars in the southeast would do this!

Jon
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:20 pm

My passenger floorboard gets wet on occasion. I think it is condensation as it has nothing to do with rain and because it is occasional, it's not leaking condenser.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I have the same problem on both of my cars. I have replaced the heater cores in both of them. I am also suspicious that maybe the seal is compromised. My other option is to insulate the bottom of the box.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Do you guys have an elbow or hose on the condensate drain? If not the condensate may be "wicking" back into the passenger compartment, put an elbow on the drain with 6"-8" of hose to keep the firewall insulation dry. Old 90 deg. spark plug boots work well. Just a thought.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 pm

I think it's condensation, or what 200 OZ said. I get it from time to time in
All my wagons.

I just lost my blower in my Radio Flyer Red '91 today so I'll get to check that all out. Sad
Back to top Go down
gwturbo

gwturbo

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:44 pm

I have this same problem in my 95 RMW. My problem is that it was fine until I in my infinite wisdom took the pan off for the hell of it and now can't get it to seal to save my ass. I have the elbow on and I used 3M strip caulk and have researched everything I can to no solution. There is a good amount of condensation dripping from the elbow on the firewall but it is also dripping at the very front of the pan up against the firewall on the inside. I have taken it off 3 times now and even got a different pan from the yard and put it on with the same result. It is about to drive my nuts. If anyone has a fix I'd sure like to hear it.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am

My 95RMW does it too. Whats odd is if you have the AC on and the car is not moving, its dry. The second you start driving the floor gets wet, and sometimes it runs off the kick panel onto the hump in the middle of the floor. I have an elbow with a hose too.
On my 95 Caprice wagon, it is missing its elbow and everything is dry inside, go figure.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:52 am

I get this now and then. Have not dug into it since it so far does not happen often. Such fun.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:19 pm

200OZ wrote:
Do you guys have an elbow or hose on the condensate drain? If not the condensate may be "wicking" back into the passenger compartment, put an elbow on the drain with 6"-8" of hose to keep the firewall insulation dry. Old 90 deg. spark plug boots work well. Just a thought.

Mike

Yup! This was the prob on a couple of my wagons. Once I ran the hose off the elbow....no more wetness. Lol

Other option is bad windshield seal....
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm

95BRMW wrote:
My 95RMW does it too. Whats odd is if you have the AC on and the car is not moving, its dry. The second you start driving the floor gets wet, and sometimes it runs off the kick panel onto the hump in the middle of the floor. I have an elbow with a hose too.
On my 95 Caprice wagon, it is missing its elbow and everything is dry inside, go figure.

Check the water drains under the cowl, clean out the twigs, leaves, and seeds that may be plugging up the drains allowing rain, and wash water to get into the HVAC system.

Mike
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Running a hose off the elbow sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try that. I don't like the way it drains right on top of the frame anyway.

Jon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Also, check the seal where the "plate" that covers the area where the blower motor is. If you have even changed a wiper motor...you know right where it is. If the seal is bad there (or like 200OZ said, your cowl drain holes are all plugged) water can easily get in.

Here is where that access panel is located (under the cowl screen...gotta remove it)

Condensation issues 5_12-1
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Condensation issues   Condensation issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Condensation issues
Page 1 of 1