GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

spark plugs/wires 305

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

spark plugs/wires 305 Empty
PostSubject: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2022 11:36 am

I almost clicked the button to place an order for plugs and wires for an easy project on the old wagon, but for some reason, decided to look under the hood last night... Um.... some of the plugs look impossible to get to. What sort of pain am I going to get into with this? Do some have to be removed from the bottom or through a wheel well? I've searched here and see alot about the LT1 engines and spark plugs but didn't see much mention on us baby 305'rs....
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2022 12:51 pm

If you don’t have long enough arms to get to it from above you have to go under. Going through the fender wells works but old and hard rubber flaps will be in the way. They can be removed though.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 pm

94Woody wrote:
If you don’t have long enough arms to get to it from above you have to go under. Going through the fender wells works but old and hard rubber flaps will be in the way. They can be removed though.

Yep, when I got my wagon plugs were high on the list to do so I just pulled off the hardened and broken splash shields and made new ones.

Look up "masticated rubber" on ebay. They sell it by the roll and is what the restorers us for splash shields. It is also good for making new radiator air seals around the radiator type things also. Cuts easy with Stanley knife.

Serendipity96 and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2022 7:08 pm

New ones can be made but they are also available online in precut, ready to install form.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 am

I've done them both from the top and through the wheel wells on both the LT1 and TBI engines
Haven't done it in a number of years now, but if I recall the passenger side is easier through the wheel wells with the AC lines in the way up top.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2022 8:40 am

Pretty straightforward job to change plugs on a 305. Cast iron heads so don't strip easy like aluminum. I applied anti-seize to the new plugs to faciliate future changes. I had to get the right rear from below but all others from the top with simple tools. Be sure to have a spark plug socket with the rubber boot inside.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 24, 2023 6:28 pm

revisiting this, i was able to do all 8 and wires from the top side. only time i had to get under it was when i dropped an extension and it went into no mans land lol but overall was straight forward and the right side wasnt near as bad as i had it in my head

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spark plugs/wires 305   spark plugs/wires 305 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

spark plugs/wires 305
Page 1 of 1