GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 wagon project under way, needs a name

Go down 
+6
booster
GeoffB
Sprocket
94Woody
goldwolfnhn
RBANNING
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RBANNING

96 wagon project under way, needs a name Empty
PostSubject: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 1:45 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 9920614
Here she is right before going to the body shop.
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 21811311
This is what I have in mind.
96 wagon project under way, needs a name Rid-6410
96 wagon project under way, needs a name Rid-6010
96 wagon project under way, needs a name Are-5110
With a set of one of these wrapped in 245/55r18's

Starting with a zero rust car and a very straight body(one small dent on the drivers rear fender), going to bare metal, 3 coats of primer, block sanded after each coat, then gloss black finish.  Total chrome delete.

Step 2-Suspension. Very simple. Bilsteins, Airlift 60755 bags, body mounts all around and maybe a Crown Vic rear sway bar. I was originally thinking lower, stiffer springs, big sway bars etc but I've fallen in love with the ride so that has been adjusted accordingly.

Step 3-Exhaust.  Remove factory over axle pipes, add turndowns at factory mufflers in front of axle.  Down the road, CIA tri-Y's and cats, Summit X-over pipe and fully welded muflers(brand??) in stock location, most likely with turndowns in front of axle.

Step 4-Audio. NVX sound deadening on EVERYTHING. Touch screen head unit w/back-up camera in factory location & replace factory speakers.  Leaning toward all Alpine because I like the head unit and speakers appear to be a very good value.

I've already done home base/first base delete but will eventually replace with aftermarket cold air intake.  The one from Summit racing looks like a really good value.  Of course the windows will get tinted and the minor stuff fixed(windshield wipers, cruise control, rear passenger window control, full tune up and likely replace all the vacuum lines as I suspect that as the cause of the CEL). Likely a retune of the computer in there somewhere.

I will post pics along the way.  It will be in the body shop for a month, but I may get some in progress shots.  It's a small family owned shop and i'm sure they'd like the exposure.

Near future, 2200-2500rpm converter and shift kit.

Long term, who knows. Maybe aluminum heads and maybe a 383. It's very low milage and runs like a dream so I'm very hesitant to touch the motor. I also know as time goes on I am going to need more power.....

Buickman1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Forgot the most imortant part, rear side glass and hatch glass will get my company logo and lettering on black perforated vinyl.
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 317_ro10
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 3:56 pm

On my 94 I replaced the factory mufflers with Cherry bomb vortex mufflers and that alone gave the car a nice sound, but only under power, while idling it's still nearly stock sounding, so most people don't suspect whats lurking under the hood.

It also got a couple of kids trying to show off their v6 grandprixs at a show to quickly shut their cars off.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 4:49 pm

That what I'm after, very subtle until I hit the loud pedal. Don't like loud all the time, don't like quiet all the time. Maybe I should look at cutouts.....
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 6:30 pm

looking at cutouts for another vehicle I'm working on, you have the conventional electric style where it's a single valve on one side so when it opens your dumping exhaust out both sides and you have two of those, butterfly valve like a throttle plate, or a gate valve but they need more ground clearance. then you have ones I've been looking at more which have twin valves one for each side set 90 apart so when one is open the other is closed, only found those on amazon so far.

unless you make your own and then you just buy the parts and then you can actually go vacuum.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 8:01 pm

Fully welded mufflers. Thrush makes a good one. Cheap and easy to find.

I grew tired of mine though and recently switched over to Borla Pro XS mufflers. They sound much better. Quiet at idle but make noise under load. I'm also dumped at the axle but will be changing that soon. Recently bought a parts cars and one of the many previous owners left a pair of 2.5" mandrel bent OTA pipes in the back of it.

Touch screen and all new speakers is a modification I recently made as well and it made a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 8:22 pm

What is the downside to pre axle dump? Maybe I will reconsider.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm

I don't mind the dumped exhaust. Just looking for a change after 6 years. Bagging it soon and my second amp just arrived this evening.

As long you install some turndowns it will help mellow the exhaust a lot. The Thrush mufflers without them sounded great but really took a toll on the ears of anyone inside the car.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 1:07 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 1003281096 wagon project under way, needs a name 1003251096 wagon project under way, needs a name 1003241096 wagon project under way, needs a name 1003241096 wagon project under way, needs a name 10032410

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm

Looks like I fat fingered the last post, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm

RBANNING wrote:
What is the downside to pre axle dump? Maybe I will reconsider.
I had them dump in front on the axle and when the tailgate glass was open the exhaust would suck back in. in the factory location on the rear corners it gets swept away from the car and can run with the rear glass up no problem.

Had the same issue with my 1970 K5 Blazer BITD
Back to top Go down
GeoffB

GeoffB

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 pm

RBANNING wrote:

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 21811311
This is what I have in mind.

That'll look great.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 7:42 am

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 2023011096 wagon project under way, needs a name 2023011296 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230111

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 am

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230113

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am

It looks like they were prepping it to paint over the yellow without removing it, but the yellow also is showing signs of poor adhesion.

Are they confident the yellow is going to stay on over time?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 1:32 pm

I would pull the sail panels off of the two rear doors and reseal with windshield adhesive while you are doing the body work.   They will fly off when you don't want them too unless you re-glue them

only the door part, the part on the front of the rear glass never flies off it has screws.

silverfox103, sherlock9c1, ayilar and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2023 4:51 pm

make sure they paint the door sills and frames as otherwise it'll look kind of crappy when you open a door and see white with the rest of the car black.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 4:19 pm

As to adhesion of new paint, block sanding done prior to primer to ensure adhesion. I had originally thought they were going to bare metal. This was a misunderstanding due to launguage barrier.

Door panels, kick plates etc removed and sills being painted, I agree, it would not look good with white showing in those areas.

Windshield is being replaced while at the shop, I will advise using same adhesive for the sail panels. They were removed already but have yet to be replaced.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 4:50 pm

RBANNING wrote:
As to adhesion of new paint, block sanding done prior to primer to ensure adhesion.  I had originally thought they were going to bare metal.  This was a misunderstanding due to launguage barrier.

Door panels, kick plates etc removed and sills being painted, I agree, it would not look good with white showing in those areas.

Windshield is being replaced while at the shop, I will advise using same adhesive for the sail panels. They were removed already but have yet to be replaced.

My comment on adhesion was because there are areas where the yellow has come loose from the white and that makes me suspect of if the yellow in general is not well adhered. Surface sanding the yellow is not going to do anything to improve the yellow adhesion the the factory paint. It will also be a bit hard to feather in the peeled areas to get rid of the odd shaped paint step without causing a slight dip that might show in the right light. The darker the new point is and how shiny it is can make a huge difference in what the car looks like when sighting long surfaces.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 7:52 pm

When painting a car black, the surface has to be as perfect as possible. Black shows EVERYTHING and any missed imperfections in the base will stick out like a sore thumb. Part of the reason I put off having mine done is pickiness when it comes to the end result. I despise tape lines more than anything else in the world. I bought a parts car just so I could grab extra glass because mine is coming out when it finally gets painted.

You should find some Impala outer door handles because they have no chrome and the entire thing gets painted. Took some time but I found my last two a few weeks ago.

KCClark likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm

Picking up from paint tomorrow, will post pics shortly thereafter.96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10141410
Will be installing 2.5" stainless H pipe and 2 Flowmonster welded stainless mufflers with turndowns. These appear to be Chinese knock offs of Magnaflow that Summit had on sale for $30 each. Seem well built and if I don't like them, I'm only out $60.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 5:56 pm

@rbanning -- do you have a name yet? The 1996 RMW that I bought ten days ago will be "Betsy"
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am

No name yet, however, Jude is high on the list.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 9:31 pm

Yikes. Good luck getting that exhaust on there. It's going to sit LOW.

96 wagon project under way, needs a name AfLrCG9

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 9STnvkC
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 8:06 am

It can be done. I have a 454, and a 3.25" drop in thef/2" in the rear, and my exhaust tucks.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 9:11 am

Fred - I bet you exhaust doesn't look like the picture that RBANNING posted above with no bends in it.

My 4" exhaust tucks in above the frame too, but is also not straight Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 am

Mine are very similar to the ones in the picture, I even dump them in front of the axle. I do have to run the left one under the driver's side front footwell. They are still above the frame.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2023 8:23 pm

It's not going in as pictured. Being installed by a local fabrication shop, pipe tucked in stock location, mufflers also tucked in stock location, dumps flush with the bottom of the mufflers. Mock up is parts as delivered, not intended to depict installation. Sorry for any confusion.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 7:38 am

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10176910
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10176710
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10176410
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 am

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10176310
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10176210
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10175910

rcktpwrd and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 7:44 am

Jake Fisher, owner of Fish Fab in Westfield, IN does REALLY nice work!!
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230210
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 7:51 am

He sent me these picks at 9:45 last night. I dropped the car off at 5pm. Final welding and minor fab work today. Check out the triangulated hanger brackets!
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 8:05 am

Before anyone expreses concerns about driveshaft clearance, this is with the suspension unloaded at absolute maximum droop and still has clearance. Won't even be close during normal articulation.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2023 5:09 pm

Picked up my car today. I'm very pleased with the exhaust. Very deep tone, no rasp, no pops, just a nice low frequency growl. I was afraid it would be too loud, but if anything, I'd prefer a bit more at higher rpm's. My wife, who absolutely hates loud exhaust systems, said it sounded good. That's a minor miracle in and of itself!

Sprocket, rcktpwrd, ayilar and GeoffB like this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 11:44 am

I'm now shopping for headliner material. I found what appears to be a good match (based on member posts, thank you) at yourautotrim.com. I watched a number of YouTube videos and decided I will tackle this myself. After realizing how much interior trim comes out to replace the headliner, I also decided I would clean and paint all the interior trim. I found a Dupli*Color vinyl and fabric paint at the local O'Reilly's that is an almost perfect match. I will post this interior rejuvenation journey in the appropriate section.
Back to top Go down
vivix

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am

exhaust looks great, nice job.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2023 1:05 pm

Haven't updated in awhile. Just recieved new headliner material but backer came out in pieces. I'll be fiberglassing it back together over the weekend. Since half of the interior trim had to come out to remove the headliner, I decided to repaint it all while it was out and go ahead and install 80 square feet of sound deadening material. About 3/4 of panels are painted and 1/2 the sound deadening is in. New Alpine speakers to be installed as well. Hope to finish this all up this weeke d, but that is probably optimistic! Also tried on some new shoes.96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10206710
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230310
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 2023031196 wagon project under way, needs a name 1020671096 wagon project under way, needs a name 10206710

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2023 3:30 pm

For anyone interested, it takes 40 square feet of sound deadening material to do the floor and roof of our wagons. I've got 40 square feet left to do all 5 doors and the rear wheel wells. This should be enough, I will find out soon.96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230315

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2023 4:49 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230316

8 square feet just in the spare tire well. Hope I have enough, started with 80 square feet.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 12:58 pm

Don't forget to drill a hole in the bottom to let the water out...

Whatever you think you need, it won't be enough! I did this last summer to my 96.
Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 4:18 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230411
96 wagon project under way, needs a name 20230410

New headliner ready to install.

Buickman1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 4:23 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 16836610

And in the wagon.

rcktpwrd and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
RBANNING

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 4:26 pm

96 wagon project under way, needs a name 10588310
96 wagon project under way, needs a name Screen11

New wheels installed and the proof of perforated vinyl graphics for windows.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 wagon project under way, needs a name   96 wagon project under way, needs a name Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 wagon project under way, needs a name
Page 1 of 1