GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One Person Brake Bleeders

Go down 
+5
goldwolfnhn
booster
94Woody
Fred Kiehl
Rev Bob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rev Bob

One Person Brake Bleeders Empty
PostSubject: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm

Has anyone had success with any of the aftermarket check-valve brake bleeders on the RMW?

Seems like a good idea, but looking for someone who has actually used them.

Reverend Bob
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 6:17 pm

I have them on my 91 OCC, and am happy with them. Keep the dust boots on them so they do not get dirty. The fronts and rears are different threads...PITA. When I swap the Wilwoods, I will have to get new ones, because not only are the threads different, but there are two on each caliper.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 pm

I bleed my brakes with gravity.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 8:53 pm

I have not had any success with the one person bleeders. I either use two people or put on a bleed hose on the bleeder fitting to a container with brake fluid in it, which works way better than the bleeders for me.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2023 9:28 pm

I either use gravity or most hand vacuum pumps come with a kit for using them to bleed the brakes with, and most of those handpumps are rebuildable.

Walterf likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2023 4:19 pm

I have one of the Harbor Freight hand pumps, works pretty well.

Also helps to smear a little grease around the bleeder fitting so the vacuum bleeder doesn't suck air past the threads...

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 am

They worked for me, but lately I've been using a one person bleeder bottle that fits any car (have too many to keep buying bleeders). It's a bottle with a check valve in it, same concept as the bleeders:
https://a.co/d/8jFiqps

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2023 9:14 am

As mentioned, I did not have great luck with the ones I got a while ago when this came up before.  I had a few minutes today after I saw it back and did a bit of research as there seem to be so many different success rates.  I did not care for them because they actually leaking at the thread into the caliper more than just letting it squirt out so that leaves a chance of air going in depending on the how easy the fluid refills in the master cylinder. They had dry sealer on the thread which started to flake so I also worried about those flakes getting into the brake system when I changed back to the regular bleeders.   No chance of that if the valve is closed with the pedal still down in two person bleeds.

As it turns out there two styles of the speed bleeders, one like I had (I think they were Russel), and another that is designed differently to address the issue.

This the style I  had.

One Person Brake Bleeders Bleede10

Here is the the other style.

One Person Brake Bleeders Bleede11

The second type is multipiece that allows the primary seal to stay in place so no leaks there.  The second piece is loosened separately and releases the bleed ball inside the valve so you can bleed.  When retightened you lock the ball sealed in place on two surfaces. The second piece movement is sealed from leaking on the thread by what looks to be an o-ring so shouldn't leak.

I think the second type is much better done and more foolproof and I would be comfortable leaving them in place if they are rated for seeing the full pressure and heat.  Even if you did put in and take out there is less chance of air or contamination getting into the system, I think.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2023 9:28 am

There's some very creative marketing going on in that first one!

Progressive rate spring - for a brake bleeder?
Honed ID - for a brake bleeder?
Centerless ground ball?

I like the design of the second one a lot better, but if it's used in the salt belt I'd expect the purple and blue pieces to get corroded together unless they're stainless or brass.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2023 1:36 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
There's some very creative marketing going on in that first one!

Progressive rate spring - for a brake bleeder?
Honed ID - for a brake bleeder?
Centerless ground ball?

I like the design of the second one a lot better, but if it's used in the salt belt I'd expect the purple and blue pieces to get corroded together unless they're stainless or brass.

I agree about the corrosion. I think they are aluminum and normally colored aluminum is anodized which helps the corrosion a lot, but not a cure all and often doesn't cover the insides very well.

I think if it were me, even in non salt areas, I would try to find a push on rubber cap for them.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 2:23 pm

I have Russell brake speed bleeders on all of my Harley's and they work great for me. I just picked up a '96 Roadmaster and want to flush the brakes so I'm gonna go the speed bleeder route as well for the wagon. Since Russell products have worked for me before, I'll stick with their brand.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2023 6:26 am

ckamin, do you have Russell part numbers for the front disks and rear drums?
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 3:07 pm

The Russell bleeders I bought for the rear are #R40527 (8mm x 1.25 pitch). The fronts I purchased at the NAPA store (NAPA brand) and don't recall the part number but they are 10mm x 1.5 pitch.

Rev Bob likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2023 4:45 pm

ckamin

Thanks!

Reverend Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Person Brake Bleeders   One Person Brake Bleeders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Person Brake Bleeders
Page 1 of 1