GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone have a power antenna....that works?

Go down 
+6
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
phantom 309
DBeaSSt
sherlock9c1
81X11
10 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 am

Sure would like to fix this on my car. Mine is a '96 model.

Let me know. My shipping zip is 78664 if you want to give me a price with shipping.

Thanks all!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm

I have a couple of extras that work. Sent you a PM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Me Too   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Your post reminded me that my power antenna is broken too.Anybody got a working antenna for a 91 OCC?Give me a price shipped to zip 23690.
Thanks a Bunch!
Take Care
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Just for reference. All wagon and Caprice sedan's use the same antenna. Wink

Only ones who had to go and be different were the Roady and Fleetwood sedans. And actually I think that's a bracket thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm

How hard is it to go from non power antenna to power antenna in a '92? Is it possible? Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Anyone want to give me the 411 on how to change the antenna once I get the new one?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Stingroo, not sure. If the wiring is there on non-power cars I imagine it'd be pretty simple.

81X11, not hard but kinda annoying.

- Remove RF wheel (not required but makes it easier)
- Unbolt inner fenderwell enough to drop it so you can see and get to the antenna
- Unplug power and antenna cable from under hood.
- Unscrew the chrome "cap" at the top of the antenna.
- Open RF door and remove single bolt which goes through the rear of the fender into the antenna bracket.
- "Slide" antenna out between inner fender and fender.

Reverse to install new one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks! Sounds much simpler than my 79 Buick...had to move the fender on that car!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm

unbolting the inner fenderwell does not go easy with a rust belt car,. good luck to all you southern boys,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:34 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
unbolting the inner fenderwell does not go easy with a rust belt car,. good luck to all you southern boys,..

Nick
understood, but on a TX car it should be a little PB blaster and not much effort..... cheers
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 am

phantom 309 wrote:
You don't need to unbolt it. You just pull it out of the way, install the antenna, and then bend it back when you're done (if it's still there, of course).
tongue That's the way we dooz it in Syracuse.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:57 pm

I can repair your non-working antenna if it has a good mast. Send me the mast, pigtail, and $65, you get a working antenna. I do not have any complete antennas for sale. If I had a good extra mast, I would do exchanges. Anyone want to sell a good mast and pigtail for $5 plus shipping?

The Fleetwood, and RMS antennas have different masts which will not match the body contour of the Caprices and wagons.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 pm

if you remove wheel well sometimes the clips that are hooked to the fender break or strip. if that happens auto zone sells new ones. i found out after i went to jy and pulled some off of a car, then you still need to clean them up. getting them from autozone will save you a lot of time. my autozone had them on a spinning rack where they keep bolts and washer
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Sherlock, sent you a Paypal on Friday. Can't wait to install the antenna. Please let me know when it ships.

Thanks again!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

Got my power antenna from Fed Ex Saturday, THANKS!

Wanted to get it on this weekend but played with the GTO until I was too hot to work anymore. Where's fall??? Geez it was hot.

Planning to sand it and paint it to stop the rust on the housing. It's not too bad and I know once it's installed it won't be seen....but I'd know it was there. ; )

Will try to get it installed after work one day this week. Should I lubricate it once it's up? Anyone know? Want it to last a while.

Thanks again!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm

It should be clean, but not lubricated. The mast sections hardly touch, and do not need lubed. Lubing them will cause them to attract dirt, and produce more wear.

Here in FL, I can find junk yard speed nuts in like new condition.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to installing it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Details the inner fender   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Mike,after seeing pics of the inside of your door lower storage cubbyholes I am sure you will sand,polish and then
paint the inner fender and probably pinstripe the inside of fender.
Please Mike anytime you want to trade wagons for a month or so let me know and I will drive down to Texas.The
quality of your work will make the trip down to Texas and back twice is easily worth it.
Just Kidding Maybe
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Ahahaha! Thanks that really made me laugh. My wagon is not nearly THAT perfect but I sure try to keep it nice.

Appreciate it!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Need some advice on my 94's antenna. The antenna was up permanently when I bought it. No big deal, I thought, mast is broken so it is disconnected. Upon closer inspection, I found the fuse sitting in the ash tray, and the antenna disconnected. To double check things before I replaced it, I plugged in the antenna and replaced the fuse. To my surprise, the antenna worked perfectly! It was that way all year.

This spring, the antenna operation started to become erratic. Sometimes it would not go up right away, raising after a few minutes, and sometimes it wouldn't retract. I cleaned the mast carefully and gave it a good scrub with some 0000 steel wool, which seemed to help for a few weeks. Finally, last month, the antenna ceased raising. I just checked the fuse (good) and the wiring. 12v on the two wires at the connector when radio is on, and 12v on the other when off. The mast cable is not broken.

Obviously, the previous owner experienced similar problems, and that is why it was disconnected. Not sure why it worked for a year after I hooked it back up...

I don't really care about the antenna working, I would just like the antenna to be up so reception is better. Unfortunately, the tip is just down far enough that I can't grab it.

Any ideas what the problem is, and how to get it up one last time? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 pm

jayoldschool wrote:

It's alright, many men experience this same issue and now modern medicine can help. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

It's alright, many men experience this same issue and now modern medicine can help. Razz

LOL I thought of that sentence in the same way.

Poor Jay.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm

That's the best you geniuses can accomplish? You probably used to strike out at T Ball!

lololololol
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:52 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
That's the best you geniuses can accomplish? You probably used to strike out at T Ball!

Knocked that T down many a time Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I never played T ball. Sad
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:08 pm

<< is not allowed to walk down the street without a helmet.....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Man, the FSM is terrible for antenna diagnosis! No trouble flow charts, nothing. Just the mounting points. Doesn't even give the voltage for the three wires at the connector. No mention of the fuse.

Wonder if it could be the relay? Doubt it.

I am thinking it is a problem with the thrust reaction switch inside the unit. I remember one time when the antenna stayed up after I shut the car off and I got it to retract by pushing gently on the top of the mast. I am betting if I can pull on the mast a little bit, the antenna will come up. Unfortunately, all attempts to grab the tip of the mast have failed. I even tried a string lasso.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:40 am

I've just realized that this is a FS/wanted thread. I only read the forum by "new posts" so I don't really notice I'll repost my antenna question/observation/update in the appropriate section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a power antenna....that works?   Anyone have a power antenna....that works? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a power antenna....that works?
Page 1 of 1