GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mattress on roof?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ayilar

ayilar

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17, 2023 9:09 pm

I read a post on the GMLRF of someone squeezing a queen-sized mattress inside one of our wagons (Caprice or Roadie, I don't remember which one -- but it should not matter).

Has anyone transported a queen-sized mattress on top of the roof? In the affirmative, how did you attach it, and where/how fast/how long did you drive with it?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 10:02 am

Been there done that. Moving alone means you do what you have to with what you've got.

Mattress on roof? JtQ0Ffy

Tied it down with some extension cords and drove a few miles to our new house. Under the speed limits of 45-55 because I didn't want anything bad to happen and nothing did.

It was a California King.

Wojtek and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 11:13 am

There are tie-down points along the side rails of the rack. They will hold a lot of stuff on the car. I have no problem hauling a mattress. If you are worried about it lifting, put a piece of plywood on top, under the straps.

94Woody, Wojtek and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 12:53 pm

Thank you both for the helpful replies. Regarding "flopping about" -- I would also be moving a box spring foundation too, so my thinking is to put the mattress on the car roof first and have the box spring on top as it has a solid wood frame so it should hold the foam mattress in place and prevent the front from flipping up or catching air and trying to fly away.

A friend of mine carried a mattress on top of his Ford Flex over a distance of several hundred miles, and in my case it'd be about 120 miles. He recommends getting a protective bag to protect from possible rain and road grime.

I bought some ratchet straps last month, and that would be a good use of them (hopefully, those won't be famous last words...)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 2:54 pm

I always use ratchet straps. Unless you know how to properly use rope, it is the safest way to make the load secure.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 10:50 pm

Ratchet straps are a must when going long distance.

Wojtek and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down
vivix

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2023 4:19 pm

Just did this, queen mattress bent enough to fit inside and the box spring ratchet strapped to the roof.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 12:44 pm

I did a king size with the box springs inside....through a tunnel lol... we kept it under 45 and it was only about 15 miles. Ratchet straps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mattress on roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress on roof?   Mattress on roof? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mattress on roof?
Page 1 of 1