GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

broken flow restrictor!

Go down 
+2
94Woody
rcktpwrd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

broken flow restrictor!  Empty
PostSubject: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2023 9:03 pm

On her way home last night the heater hose flow restrictor blew apart! Luckily, she's a car person and pays attention to smells and the gauges. Said she smelled coolant then saw some steam, so she pulled into a parking lot quickly.

Found this when I showed up to see what happened and if I could do anything to get the car home, ended up getting the car towed.

broken flow restrictor!  QXgxdcXl

I found a genuine GM hose assembly on RockAuto that should be here Tuesday.

I had replaced most all of the hoses when she got the car a few years ago, except this one as I couldn't find the hose at the time. Now I see I should have been looking for the complete hose assembly... which isn't listed in the hoses section...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=84567&cc=1037483&pt=6860&jsn=479

Wojtek and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2023 11:22 pm

Very common problem. For me they just kept breaking. I eliminated the stupid thing when I did the electric water pump.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info I too have been looking for this part

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2023 8:21 pm

You can get the part at AutoZone, but you need hose clamps ànd possibly hoses. If you have The same size hoses for in and out, get the one for a Camaro.

Serendipity96 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2023 7:33 pm

Got the part today so I installed it. Sadly, the genuine GM part is now made in China. It does look and match the original perfectly, hopefully it lasts as long.

broken flow restrictor!  CDW8NTMl

Removing the old and installing the new wasn't too terrible. Hardest thing was having to take the mechanical fan off to get to the lower hose clamp. Still have to refill the coolant.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2023 9:27 pm

It won't last, sadly. Keep a very close eye on it, they leak on the ends and it collects on the bottom and you eventually see the low coolant light pop on when accelerating. Always tell when it's happening because there will be stain around each end. Can get the restrictor itself (in a GM box) from most any parts store.

Only thing more annoying than this part is aftermarket ignition key cylinders. Took me a couple of those to learn to just remove the system when I buy any 94/95.

Serendipity96 and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 pm

i replaced mine with 1/2'' copper tubbing. i soldered i smaller pc of brass pipe in it as the restrictor. i did put a little flare on each end of the copper so the hose clamp would not slide off.

silverfox103, 94Woody, Serendipity96, rcktpwrd and Buickman1 like this post

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2023 7:44 pm

Agree with @94woody - I spent the money to put the GM assembly on one of my cars only to look at it from underneath one day and see seep leaks on many of the connectors. Dorman makes a number of heater core restrictors that most parts shop keep in stock. The 902-908 might work for these cars. You'll need to use a Dremel to cut the crimp off, then just replace with a high quality hose clamp.

94Woody and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 7:49 pm

Thanks for the optimistic outlook!  broken flow restrictor!  1f605

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. If it starts leaking, I'll apply one of the listed repairs.

I refilled the cooling system today using one of those vacuum things, it worked great!

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24444-Cooling-System-Refiller/dp/B01BW39HJS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1I05N06O2ERCP&keywords=oem+tools+vacuum+coolant&qid=1693524494&sprefix=oem+tools+vacuum%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-5

Never used one of these before and I highly recommend it! Took a couple minutes to pull the -23ish vacuum on the system and then about a minute to refill about 3 gallons of coolant!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: broken flow restrictor!    broken flow restrictor!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

broken flow restrictor!
Page 1 of 1