GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Squeekr

LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Empty
PostSubject: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 6:45 pm

i currently have a instrument cluster that im going to be replacing the one in my 91 RMW with, and was curious if anyone had any experience with swapping out the OE bulbs with LED ones? im mostly curious if i need to get them colored or if the cluster itself is colored, and if LED lamps will give me any flashing issues at all. some of my concern really stems from not fully understanding or knowing if a 91 RMW has a CANbus or not.

any guidance is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 pm

CANBUS is a 'new' car thing, typically around the 2006 model year and newer.

You should be fine getting replacement leds in the same bulb type as stock, not sure on colors.
Back to top Go down
Squeekr

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 8:31 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
CANBUS is a 'new' car thing, typically around the 2006 model year and newer.

You should be fine getting replacement leds in the same bulb type as stock, not sure on colors.

thanks a lot, that solves that problem, i didnt want to end up with a bunch of bulbs that didnt work and have to revert back!

ill probably work on disassembling the instrument cluster to verify the color portion of the question. thanks so much again!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 12:16 am

The bulbs are all white incandescent.

The 91s do not have a canbus system.

The only concern is that LED bulbs are polar sensitive...like any diode, current only flows one way. If you put it in backwards it will not light up.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Many LEDs don't handle dimming with rheostats very well and get flickering and lack of range of brightness. Has anyone used them to know for sure how they work without extra
resistors and such?

AMH_92 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 7:50 pm

booster wrote:
Many LEDs don't handle dimming with rheostats very well and get flickering and lack of range of brightness.  Has anyone used them to know for sure how they work without extra
resistors and such?

one way around that is to leave one incandescent bulb in place, say for the odometer, something that the bulb change won't make much difference for.
Back to top Go down
auburn.fangler@gmail.com

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 8:10 am

Love mine. Be prepared to replace all interior bulbs to freshen the look. The difference is surprising. Some LED bulbs are made to plug in either way, eliminating the polarity problem. If I could remember which Amazon order that was, I'd post a more helpful reply. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?   LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED bulbs in 91 RMW instrument cluster?
Page 1 of 1