GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ckamin

Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Empty
PostSubject: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 12:14 pm

Good morning!

The AC in my wagon isn't "cold" like one would expect and a coworker suggested started with something simple like a recharge with AC Pro (or something like that). I have no reason to believe there is anything else wrong with the system (compressor goes on, fan blows, heater works great, etc).

Does anyone have a link to a detailed description of the recharge process on this forum or a good YouTube video for a '94-'96 Impala, Caprice Wagon or Roadmaster Wagon?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 2:58 pm

I got nothing except, stay the hell away from those cans. Only thing they are good for is overcharging your system and causing more problems later.

Do yourself and your wagon a favor and take it to a proper shop and have it evacuated, vacuum tested for leaks and recharged. Have the Orifice Tube replaced while the system is evacuated.

Did that to mine 4 or 5 years ago and it's still working fine.

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 1:37 pm

As Woody says, don't waste your money on those cans, they won't do anything to solve your problem. You've got a 30+ year old. Good chance you have seals that need replacing or maybe components. Bring it to an AC shop have them test it, put dye in the system and you'll see where the leaks are. Have them fix them.

Tom

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 6:39 pm

You can get a can of dye, and a black light to expose the leaks. Once the system has been evacuated check the orifice tube for black crud. If it is black, the entire system needs to be cleaned, and the compressor, and accumulator replaced. Anyone who can turn a wrench can replace the parts. The cost of a decent set of gauges, and vacuum pump is far less than having someone do it, and you get to keep them to use in the future. The parts have instructions with them, and you can find help on line. If you run into any questions you need answered, message me.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 3:37 pm

I've done a lot of AC work on these cars. I'd never ever recharge any car AC system with just a low side gauge. I can see the theory of why they sell those cans though; if everything's operating perfectly, 30psi is about where you want to be on the low side. But usually, everything ISN'T operating perfectly.  The Harbor Freight dual gauges are nice, and I use them a lot. You'll also need a can valve and can tap to attach to the yellow line and you'll be good.

These cars have two primary leak points:
1. The factory high side pressure port next to the battery always leaks. Take the cap off, look inside at the little black plastic ball, and see if it's bubbling. You can try pressing on it with a pick or #1 phillips screwdriver to see if you can get it to seat and not leak, but it's also not serviceable. Replacement ports have schrader valves in them that can be quickly replaced without even losing refrigerant if you have the appropriate tool.
2. The compressor case and/or nose seals always leak after 150k miles. You have to replace or rebuild the compressor to fix this.

Of note, I fixed leaking high side ports on several Impalas at the 2023 ISSCA Nationals. I let pressure out of the system, quickly swapped ports, and was able to recharge every single one of them to proper operation with only one 12-oz can of R134a. Normal capacity on these systems is 28 oz, but every one I've filled from a full vacuum will work fine with 24 oz in it.

Make sure the cooling fan(s) are both operational. These systems will not work without the cooling fans running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon   Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help or advice for an AC recharge on a '96 wagon
Page 1 of 1