GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ckamin

Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Empty
PostSubject: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 8:08 am

Help! When I turn the headlamp switch knob to adjust the illumination of the dash lights, they flicker on & off as they dim or brighten. What can I do to fix this? I do not have sentinal/twilight lights and everything else seems to work properly.

On a different note, the signals flash in a rapid manner as though a bulb was out. However, al the bulbs work & flash properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 1:50 pm

1. You need a new switch.

2. The signals go on steady state when you have a bad bulb. If the bulbs have more than OEM resistance it will cause the faster blinking rate.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 9:48 pm

Ok thank you! Any hints, tips or tricks to replacing the light switch? I've conquered the dash panel removal once before to replace the stereo deck...

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 11:46 pm

What brand of car do you have?
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 8:28 am

Sorry I forgot to mention that- it's a '96 Roadmaster wagon and it does NOT have the automatic/sentinel lighting.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 am

Send a picture of the part

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 3:50 pm

Here is what I have as it is still in the Roadmaster... I want to make sure I take the proper steps to remove it & install the new one so I don't either break anything or overly frustrate myself... Thanks!

Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Screen14
Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Screen21
Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Screen15
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 4:06 pm

I believe the switch is available aftermarket. To disassemble it you must push the switch in, and push down on the button on top of the switch while pulling the knob out with the square shaft on it. Once you get the knob off you must remove the large plastic bolt with the hole in it. The head of the bolt usually breaks off. The only way to get a replacement is from an older G20 van.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 8:52 am

Update:

The headlamp switch was a piece of cake to replace- thankfully there is enough room via the fuse access panel on the side of the dash to remove & replace it. Replacing the switch fixed the problem I had of the old switch not adjusting the dash brightness without the dash lights flickering on & off.

Regarding the plastic nut retainer which holds the switch in place: I had prepared myself with the steel nut assembly via ebay but the plastic stock nut didn't break on me and I reused it. I think I used an 11/16" socket (I believe... I may be off a tad in recalling the size of the socket) and extension to remove and replace it in the dash. I did NOT use a ratchet, I was able to loosen it and tighten it by hand using the socket & extension with no difficulty.

I hope this helps anyone with similiar problems.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 10:14 am

""I think I used an 11/16" socket""

Probably 18mm.
Back to top Go down
ckamin

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 1:09 pm

Could be an 18mm, I just grabbed an SAE socket and the 11/16" (I believe) 6-point was a good fit so I went with it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking   Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dash light illumination adjustment/rapid turn signal blinking
Page 1 of 1