GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!

Go down 
+11
Cadet57
93wgn
Sprocket
bigoldv8
Krzdimond
94Woody
toomanytoyz
phantom 309
200OZ
silverfox103
81X11
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Empty
PostSubject: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 am

Well I have a heck of a new project. This one will take me years to put right, but man it will be something once it's done. Dad and I put Lloyd's trailer on the Suburban and headed to Houston early this morning, and thanks to AJ O'Pry I now have a heck of a GTO project on my hands. Pretty amazing!

The car will need a LOT of work, but it's all there. It's a 67 2dr hardtop, original color was Plum Mist (purple) over parchment (white). It's got the original 400 V8 with a Quadrajet 4brl, Turbo 400 automatic hooked to the factory Hurst Dual-Gate (his & hers) shifter, factory a/c, power steering and power brakes, and heavy duty cooling. It will be something if I can restore it!

Got the full story today from AJ. Interesting history, and a bit different from what I'd thought. AJ got the story from the original owner's son. The car was purchased new by an older woman. It was damaged at the dealership when new, someone backed a forklift into the right 1/4 panel, and they did a fast fix on it, and not a great job. It sat on the lot for a while, most likely because Plum Mist was not a popular color, and interestingly, the car was factory equipped with hubcaps and white-walls....not too sporty for a GTO.

She drove the car locally from 1967 to 1982, and stopped driving that year (still has the 1982 inspection on the windshield). The car was parked in a leaky garage and the lady died a few years later. When parked the mileage on the car was only 26,000! The car sat in the garage until the owner's son decided to put it up for sale in 2007. By now the car had stuff piled on it and was fairly rough looking, and the guy basically wanted it out of the garage. AJ found out about the car, looked into it, and managed to buy the car for $800. Pretty good!

The car was all complete and original down to the plug wires. He replaced the gas tank, rebuilt the carb, re-core'd the radiator, installed a brand new dual exhaust system, and removed the factory steel wheels with hubcaps and replaced them with Pontiac Rally II's and raised white letter tires. Car was running and driving again.

The car has always been in Texas, but sadly is a gulf coast car, and got parked in a leaky garage to boot, so it has rust issues. AJ had a former student of his that owned a body shop about an hour away. He agreed to do the bodywork for $2000 as a "side job". AJ drove the car to him, gave him a deposit, and also a new $400 reproduction tail light panel and driver's side floorpan he'd already bought.

The guy took out the tail lights and removed most of the trim off the outside and put it in the trunk. He started sanding the car and put it in primer here and there as he did it. Then, a few months into the work his business went under. The car was pushed outside, sadly with the hood off and trim removed. AJ had no idea. The body guy's wife actually called AJ a few months later and told him that he should come get his car, as she'd heard that he was considering selling it for $3000 and was going to tell AJ it had been stolen (!!) AJ was furious and rightly so, and went to get the car. When he got there the engine had water in it from being left outside with the hood off, and was locked up. The rust was much worse too, as it had been left out with many areas sanded bare, and it rains a lot in Houston. Also the idiot sold the new tail light panel and left the new bare floorpan patch panel outside and it was now totally rusted.

AJ towed the car home, pulled the plugs and put ATF in the cylinders to try to get the engine free, and then put it in his garage in disgust, and it's been sitting in there for two years now. He called me up a few weeks back, told me he was never going to have time to fix it, and asked if I wanted to come get it. Which I did today!

It rolls easy and we had no trouble getting it on the trailer. Burb towed it fine. When we got home I was shocked, amazed and tickled. MISTY LIKES THIS CAR!! I think she was happy it was not an old station wagon or Chevy Citation. She actually jumped right in it with Tucker and helped us get it off the trailer and into the garage...and let me take her picture in it...PROOF!! I'm still in shock. This is the first car in memory that I've drug home that she's liked, and it's in terrible condition. HA!!!

I spent about three hours on it tonight in my garage. All the exterior trim, tail lights, headlight bezels, header panel, and wiper cover were still in the trunk, and Dad took it all to his house and is going to polish it out (he's as exited as I am about the car I think, 67 is one of his favorite years for these). I got my shop vac out and sucked all the rust scale out of the trunk, vacuumed the interior, and pulled the rotten carpet up in front of the bucket seats...holes there...ouch.

The car is rough, no joke. but all there. The seats are filthy but not ripped up at all, it really has low miles on it, still just over 26k! It rusted under the windshield trim and the rear window trim, common on these cars, and water pooled in the trunk and front floorboards and rotted them. It's going to need patch panels on both front floorboards and a full trunk pan, as well as around the front and rear windows. It's also going to need a lower 1/4 patch panel on the left rear, and a full 1/4 panel on the right rear, and the tail light panel. I WILL have to learn to weld or this will cost a ton to fix....

The doors, front fenders, header panel, and hood are all pretty much perfect and rust free. The frame is solid, exhaust is still like new, and the car has all the pieces. I'm betting I can get the engine to break loose too. And MAN the doors "thunk" solid when you close them, no rattles at all, despite all the "needs" it has you can tell the miles are really low, it's all still so tight!

Dad and I are going to pull the body off the frame. This project will take years. I'm torn about the color. Plum Mist is a really rare color, but I just don't like it. Car will be worth more if it was done in the correct color, especially since it's a matching-numbers car, but I'd love it in silver or black.....and with white interior any color will work. We'll see, that's WAYYY down the road.

Ok, been a LONG day and I'm done rambling for tonight. Sorry that was so long. Enjoy the pics!

-Mike

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat022

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat018

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat017

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat015

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat003

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat025

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat026

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat027

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat030

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat032

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat033

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat035

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat038

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat040

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat043

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat044

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:32 am

Nice Find!

Brings back memories, I had a 67 GTO, champagne gold w/ 4 speed.

Good Luck, you have a project in front of you.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 am

That is a great find, looks good, have fun with it. I get a chuckle about what's ruff down south. Laughing It's all relative I guess. It's very cool your wife is on board with the project.... at least for now.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 am

Nice story,. if you are motivated it will be fun,.you need to document it all tho,. when /if you get the car finished,and if you decide to sell it,. it will be researched by everyone,. and thats when the thr truth often comes out,.There have been a lot of bubbles burst over the years,.there is an example on this forum of someone inventing a history on a car ,.
you certainly do have a great foundation there,.
If it truly does have only 26,000 mi on it,. you,ll be able to find lots of evidence to that effect when you remove the body,. top of the frame should still have black paint on it etc,.
check for the build sheet under the pass seat,. on top of the gas tank,. behind the back seat, that will tell the truth about original options etc,.
Think in the future 25? 35 yrs,?,. about our wagons,. someone buying one that came from the from the vancouver BC area, a car thats changed hands 3-4 times, a wagon with a very rare factory installed 6 speed, even the spid label says its factory, all the wiring etc,. all looking factory,.but the truth actually is its a quebec car, that was very well restored and modified by 1 guy (wagon 95) , but what a history could be invented with that car! (its was a 1 off built specially for jon moss who used as his personal driver, yada yada, 35yrs later all these guys'll be dead, and so the history can't be verified, well it can if you do a vin search on the car,.but you kinda know what i mean right? if there's still available records 35 yrs from now ) There are now more 69 SS camaro's registered than the factory actually built! More 70 442 w-30's than gm built etc,.all of them highly optioned cars,. Ever come across a 6cylinder coronet 500 any more? nah they're all 440 road runners or gtx's etc,.
I looked at lots of projects in my life,. and the low mile project cars are usually pretty obvious, even up here in the rust belt,. I love the story about the dealership and the forklift,.
not sure if any gto came with hubcaps etc,. but sure does sound interesting,..
I heard some really good stories over the years,.
The interior certainly does look good,.and would certainly add to the low mileage claim, because those old vinyl buckets ripped easy and wore out fast,.here's hoping the seats aren't year one replica's,.
I like the stories that always start off with a little old lady or a little old man,. sunday driver etc,. they died,.(dead folks don't tell lies) Very Happy
I sounded jaded because i am, but i really hope for you that this car is as claimed, even if there are parts of the story i,d definitely dispute,.
Ever talk to a stripper that wasn't doing it just for the money so she could go back to school? (meh)

Looks like you got a great car there,.an a/c car too,.Nice!! Wink Here's hoping it didn't start life as a T37, and some guy got a hold of it and cloned a gto out of it,.44 yrs is a while ago,.and 40 yrs ago, gto's were in the junk yards,.n parts were cheap,.
Bottom line is, you have a very cool car,. when it finished and driving,. it'll be very cool,
Nice find, no matter what its pedigree, me personally i wouldn't care,. it,d get huge brakes, stroker motor with mpfi, big sticky rubber, and an overdrive trans,.
a nice mix of nostalgia with new technology,..

Nick
just a little jealous,.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am

Man Mike... Quite the story! That thing is gonna be awesome! Smile

I love the rare colors. You HAVE to paint it the stock color. How many silver or black GTO's have you seen? 50? 60? 100? How many purple ones have you seen? Me neither. Wink

Good score. Cant say I'm not a little jealous... Have fun with the build and take plenny'o pics!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:01 am

GTO project Day 2 pics.

My father cleaned up all the trim that was in the trunk, plus the tail lights, hood scoop insert, and hood hinges.

I took the kids swimming today and came home to a tabletop of shiny goodies! Yay Dad! ; )

Got a good father-son project here. Check out today's pics.

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoatTrim009

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoatTrim008

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoatTrim006

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoatTrim005-1
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for all the comments. And yes, I'm sure glad my wife likes this one!

I went to the Ultimate GTO website and ran the body tag on the firewall and vin tag in the door sill. All good stuff. It's a 67 GTO 2dr coupe with the base level 335hp 400 engine. And the Plum Mist paint code is on the body tag. Everything matches up, and I sure can't see any signs that the tags have been altered.

The seats are for sure original to the car....the vinyl is not torn up but it's VERY old and hard. I'll most likely have to do an interior kit....I think it would clean up, but have a feeling the seats will start splitting if people start sitting on them again much.

The gas and brake pedals have almost no wear on them. Will pull the rear seat and look for the build sheet soon. Also kind neat, the owners manual and protecto-plate were in the glove box. Sadly both are in poor shape, but they match the car. : )

Tomorrow I'm going to clean the interior up some. It's just SO FILTHY. I got it all vacummed out, but have no doubt it's been sitting for a LONG time.

Having fun with it. And no I won't back-burner my wagon! ; )

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 am

Hey again all. Check out this link. Here is a restored Plum Mist over parchment GTO. This is what mine could look like if I stick with the factory color. Pretty close options to mine with the exception of the vinyl top. My car never had that.

What are your thoughts on this color? When I open my trunk this is the color on the underside of the lid.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558183176KWqOlQ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 am

Me likey. A lot.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 am

I've got a LOOOOOONNGGG way to go before my car looks like the one in that link! ; )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:38 am

Well hop off the forums then!

(Kidding. Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 am

Here's the base-model GTO hubcaps my car had from new. These were in the trunk when AJ got the car. He kept them. I'd never put them on. I love the Rally II's.

It will never be a 100-point car. ; )

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/hppp_0703_1967_pontiac_gto/index.html
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:18 am

Oh I would totally roll the stock hubcaps for sure! Those are killer! Widen the stock rear wheels a little and get some sneaky big tires... Love it. Smile
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 am

81X11 wrote:
Hey again all. Check out this link. Here is a restored Plum Mist over parchment GTO. This is what mine could look like if I stick with the factory color. Pretty close options to mine with the exception of the vinyl top. My car never had that.

What are your thoughts on this color? When I open my trunk this is the color on the underside of the lid.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558183176KWqOlQ

I would stick with the factory color (There are red and black GTO's everywhere) and give this car a proper restoration if it were mine.

You said it's a Coupe, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the pics look like a Hardtop.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:49 pm

"Coup" and "hardtop" are nothing but marketing terms.

Enthusiasts define coup as a car with a "B" pillar and ALL windows roll down, while a hardtop has no pillar and the rear windows are either fixed or "push out". This car has either both or neither, depending on what your definition is....... No "B" pillar, but the rear windows roll down......

Me? If it's 2 doors, it's a coup. If the model came ONLY as 2 doors, and one option was a ragtop, then it's a hardtop......
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, but according to production figures the GTO Coupe and GTO Hardtop were 2 DIFFERENT cars and look DIFFERENT. The 67 GTO was available as a Hardtop, without a B Pillar and open windows, a Convertible,and a Coupe, with a B Pillar and frame around the door window.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/statsexplorer.cgi?year=1967&f1=style+popgto+clrpaint+dtmatrix+vinmatrix+dataplate+price

67 GTO Hardtop, 65, 176 produced......

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! 67_00001_1

67 GTO Coupe, 7, 029 produced.....

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! 67_00007_3

Marketing terms ring true nowadays, but in the 60's there was an actual difference.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Yeah, hardtops FTW! Including 4dr hardtops! Smile

Long live the no-pillar cars!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 pm

I like the Plum, #'s all match, keep it plum. Hub caps are also a keeper, look nice.
Buy some correct sized red lines for the steelies with caps for show, and run the rallys with what ever size tire you like for fun and cruizin'.
The chrome looks pretty good, you have a cool Dad. It's fun spending other peoples money.

Mike
Back to top Go down
bigoldv8

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Original color, definitely. Plum on parchment is rare and awesome....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

I forgot about dog dish caps,. i was thinking full covers DOH!!
they do look cool,
definitely original colors,
again, nice car,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Whatchit Nick. You'll get us all banned. LOL! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:55 pm

I meant hardtop, not coupe. ; ) My wife finally told me SHE wants the GTO purple. As long as Mama's happy, Daddy's happy, so purple it will be!

Spent hours on the GTO yesterday cleaning scum off it, and ordered a bunch of catalogs to start gathering parts. I love it, but again, will not neglect my other toys. My wagon will remain spotless and continue to be improved!

I sold the red '02 Firebird convertible last week. Hated to see it go! I'm in the process of getting a carport for my side yard to park the 88 Cutlass T-top and 96 Roadmaster in. I've got the brown 79 Buick up for sale, will hate to see it go as well but have too many projects and the 79 is outside now. Can't have that.

Such fun!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Whatchit Nick. You'll get us all banned. LOL! Very Happy

er,. sorry!!

nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Nice score!!!! ANd I was all happy with a blazer console, lol.

I used to work with a lady who was the first owner of a '69 442 with dog dish caps. the car was about as low optioned as you could go on a 442. SHe was daily driving it in 1994 still and she was in her 60s and chained smoked Pall Malls. WOnder what ever happened to the car. She'd get annoyed as everywhere she went people tried to buy it off her. It was in need of paing and a general restore....

Good luck on your new project. I'll be sure to look you up next trip to Round Rock..
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 am

Hope so! We'll hit the Saturday car show.

Thanks for all the nice comments folks! I'll try to stay on the wagon topic now, but truth be told I'm such a big car nut I really like hearing about ALL you folks car finds too, not just the wagons.

Take Care!
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:06 am

Nice score! I also would go with the original color combo... As for the motor, the YZ 400(68 GTO engine) that I have in my 69' firebird 400 coupe is a good runner but has nothing on the 70' small valve 455 in my 69' Firebird 400 convertible. If you can find a cheap running 70' Bonneville, grab it... Do a light rebuild on it and the TH400 behind it, yank your original motor/trans and save them & drop in the 455. It's actually better on gas than my 400 too but will put the car sideways on a 20 mph roll!

Also, if you haven't done so, get the PHS documentation on your car too...

Good luck on the poncho project!

Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 am

All good tips, thanks. I'm going to order the PHS docs soon. I did run the body tag and VIN numbers and it all matches up. Pretty cool! ; )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

Guess I should join a GTO forum...but I get good tips here!

Worked on cleaning up the GTO this weekend. Was HOT and HUMID and I was a sweaty, dirty, rust-covered mess by the time I got done, but I made some headway on the car. I have no real funds to invest at the moment but can't just let it sit there!

I put air in the rear tire and pushed the car into the driveway, and used Dad's pressure washer on everything, top to bottom. Knocked off every dirt-dobber nest I could find...ha! Used dish soap and a sponge on the entire exterior of the car. You can see through the windows now. Ha!

Pulled the hood off, and I put the spark plugs back in the engine, taped off the carb, and blew the holy hell out of the engine compartment. Then sprayed it down with degreaser and did it again. Looks worlds better there.

The front cowl below the wipers was FULL of dirt, pine needles, acorns, leaves and such, it was a mess. Blew all that out and it rained scum from the fender onto my driveway, but under all that was dirt some really good original purple paint on the upper cowl, and in the sun it sparkled...that 60's Plum Mist color is growing on me.

Next I cleaned both sides of the hood (proud of that hood, it's in perfect shape), and then cleaned the wheel trim rings and blew out the wheel wells.

Next I blew the trunk out.....and it has almost no trunk floor now....whoops...will have to order a full trunk pan, what a rusty mess...oh well..

On the inside I cleaned the dash and one door panel, but ran out of steam at that point, it was just too hot. Put the hood back on the car, air'ed up the rear tire and pushed the Goat back in the garage, and pressure washed all the nasty stuff off my driveway.

Baby steps!

-Mike

Cleaner!
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GoatCleaning003

Hood off and clean
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GoatCleaning005

Engine comparment cleaned. Check out the purple "Plum Mist" paint on the cowl below the windshield:
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GoatCleaning006

Who really needs a trunk floor??
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GoatCleaning002

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm

That engine is cleaner than the one in my Caprice Laughing
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:10 pm

You should have seen my driveway.....
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:14 pm

81X11 wrote:
You should have seen my driveway.....

I don't doubt it. Sounds like when my friend pulled an 80 something Citation out of this guys backyard/ forest. It had about 15 years of pine needles, sap and pinecones on it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Been there, done that. My first car was an 81 Citation X-11. Have had a lot of those little spuds over the years. Ha!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:39 am

Why I Give Thanks...

So I got this GTO a few months back from my buddy AJ in Houston. He only had a bill of sale but told me getting the title would be no problem.

The original lady owner died in the early 1980's, and AJ got the car from her son, who is in his 70's now. He gave AJ a bill of sale, told him he had power of attourney and would go get the title with AJ when he was ready....well AJ just never got around to it.

AJ got the car well over a year ago. The bill of sale had no phone number on it, but AJ himself pulled the car out of the garage and knew where the guy lived in Conroe, just a few towns east of AJ. Well AJ went to go talk to the son, and of course, he had moved.

I Googled the sellers name, and hit a wall. Next I tried finding the guy over the internet phone number and name searches...nope. I spoke to a title company about getting a bonded title, and it's a $100 fee plus a percentage of the book value of the car, and takes about four weeks...ouch. Even a basket case GTO has a pretty good collector car book value....

So other than cleaning the GTO and storing it in my garage, I've not done any work to it. Haven't had the funds to sort out the title and am not going to put money and labor into a car without my name on it.

Got an e-mail from AJ this morning. He was cleaning out his garage and found the original shop manual that had been given to him when he got the car. He'd forgotten he had it or would have given it to me. He opened the cover and on a piece of paper stuck there was the son's cell phone number. He called it and the guy answered. Amazing.

AJ and the son are going to the DMV this morning, and I should have a title shortly.

You just never know what will happen next!

Oh and you want to hear a cool name? The original owner's name was Eugenia Wallias. Classic name right? AJ said he had a really good conversation with the son who now lives in a retirement condo.

He said his mother really loved that GTO, and she only drove it locally. She was older when she bought it in 1967, was already retired, and was not looking for a GTO, but a LeMans, but she fell in love with the Plum Mist color when she saw it on the lot, and since the GTO had power steering, brakes, a/c, and was an automatic, it had all she wanted. It was always garaged and babied, but again, after she died it was just left in the garage. Her house stayed in the family but was leasedc out and the garage was just used for storage. Over time boxes and stuff were set on the GTO, and the garage roof developed a leak, which is what rusted the car around the windows and then ate the floor. The car was basically forgotten until AJ heard about it, and was able to get it.

And that's where we are now.

AJ said they had a really nice talk last night, and I should have a title quickly.

Amazing.....

-Mike

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat045
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:25 am

Good to hear about the title Mike!!!!!!I am like you about cars and titles.I dont consider it really my car until I have the correct title in my hands.
Now the real work begins and knowing you,I bet you cant wait until that title is in your name and everything is official.
Congratulations Mike
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:35 am

Got big plans. Both my Dad and father-in-law are fired up. My Dad is a car nut like me and my father-in-law worked as a roughneck on the wells in the gulf coast in his younger days, and knows how to weld, and he restored a 57 Chevy when my wife was a kid. The GTO is turning into a family affair.

Right now were planning to pull of the front sheetmetal and take the body off the frame. The engine is going to Dallas, my father-in-law wants to rebuild it in his garage as a project...FINE WITH ME. The transmission will stay in the garage until later. I'll eventually send it out to have it looked over and re-sealed. It "should" be ok, the car has super low miles on it. Ditto the rear axle.

The frame is going in the side yard to be pressure washed, then painted and we'll slowly rebuild the suspension. The body will be put on sawhorses in my garage and we'll be patching the floors and trunk first....my father-in-law is going to teach me how to weld, and then we'll see about the 1/4 panels and window frames....don't know if I'll have to farm those out or not. We'll see.

The interior and all related parts will be bagged, labeled, and put in the attic for safe keeping. Lord I miss basements, the water table is too high in Texas, can't have them here. Putting stuff in the attic is a pain... Oh well.

At least we have a rough plan of attack now once the car is officially mine. bounce

You just never know what you'll find hiding in people's garages do you?

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! TheGoat001

I still love driving through the older areas and trying to see in garages and back yards. As of right now I know of a 66 Mustang fastback and a 1958 Impala hiding in garages within 5-miles of my office, both have been in those garages the 16 years I've lived here, and no telling how much longer before that.

I also know of a 67-68 Mustang fastback sitting outside in my neighborhood that looks like an easy resto but has not moved in at least two years.

The toys are still out there if you keep your eyes peeled!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

It wants to LIVE!

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Goat2
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Goat1

Show me.....
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Lights

Hahaha. Dad came over and we got to messing with the GTO a bit yesterday. Went through the electrical system to see what works. All four headlights still blaze on...even the three original T-3 bulbs! Wipers, flashers, and dimmer all work. Speaker pops when radio is turned on, but no sound. Engine cranks, sure would like to hear it start.

Anyway were just tinkering and snapped these pics. MAN I need to win the lotto so I can fix this old girl up!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm

too bad i,m far away,. she'd run in an hour or so,.
put an oil guage in it and crank it without the plugs, see how it does,.

nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

nick

It's not run in a LOOONNNNG time. But it will again!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:37 pm

81X11 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

nick

machines have no concept of time,.just deterioration.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
81X11 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

nick

machines have no concept of time,.just deterioration.

Which is why it's safe and dry in my garage...waiting to be brought back to life.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I have never seen this thread until today.

That will be on beautiful car when you're done with it.
Take your time, do it right and DEFINITELY go with the original colors. A Plum Mist/Parchment combo is stunning!

That car has some excellent option content, too. Did you ever get the PHS docs?
What a great car!!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 pm

JoeT wrote:
I have never seen this thread until today.

That will be on beautiful car when you're done with it.
Take your time, do it right and DEFINITELY go with the original colors. A Plum Mist/Parchment combo is stunning!

That car has some excellent option content, too. Did you ever get the PHS docs?
What a great car!!!

No I've not ordered the PHS docs, but did run all the numbers on the GTO website. I am going to keep it Plum Mist and parchment will be nice and cool for Texas...even though it has factory a/c. I am not going to put the dog-dish poverty caps back on. Yes I know that's "correct" but I really love Rally II's so will stay with those.

Anyway all that's in the future. For now I'm just tinkering with it, until funds allow me to really dive in. It's neat old car and it'll be gorgeous again....someday!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Time to start accumalating parts for this Goat.With any luck your yet to be born daughter will
drive it to her high school graduation!
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Time to start accumalating parts for this Goat.With any luck your yet to be born daughter will
drive it to her high school graduation!
Jim

My 3-year-old Tuck has already claimed it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:55 am

I'm betting this is what my car looked like when new. Mine never had a vinyl top and my car has the dual-gate automatic and a/c, but the colors are right and those are the hubcaps my car had.

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GTO1
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Gto3
Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! GTO2
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 am

Here's a hardtop with Rally II's.
Found this on UltimateGTO.com

What a gorgeous color combo...

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! 67_00005_1
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 am

JoeT wrote:
Here's a hardtop with Rally II's.
Found this on UltimateGTO.com

What a gorgeous color combo...

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! 67_00005_1

Yep that one looks just like what I "hope" mine will someday. No vinyl top, rally II wheels, right colors inside and out.

I'll most likely do modern raised-white-letter radial tires, like BFG T/A's. I like the RWL look better and if I ever do get it on the road I plan to DRIVE it a lot. There is no hiding cars away for winter here....thankfully...it was 84 here yesterday! Very Happy

I like the hood tach on that car as well. My car does not have the Rally gauges, just the stock gauges with a clock, so a hood tach, while not original, would be a fun mod. I LOVED the hood tach on my '69 ragtop.

I still think purple is somewhat of an odd color for the car. I can hear people saying "WHY did you paint that car that color??", but then I can point out it's the original color...right??

-Mike

Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm

I think that's a great color combo! (I'm biased though, my favorite color is purple) Be different!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

92cappy wrote:
I think that's a great color combo! (I'm biased though, my favorite color is purple) Be different!

It reminds me of my favorite "take a date out to the lake at night" college drink.

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Purple

Everclear Baby! Tastes like candy....works almost ever time... Ahahahahahahaha!

See I WAS young once! pirat

This reply will most likely get me banned from the forum under the new rules.... No

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 4:46 pm

cheers
81X11 wrote:
92cappy wrote:

It reminds me of my favorite "take a date out to the lake at night" college drink.

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Purple

Everclear Baby! Tastes like candy....works almost ever time... Ahahahahahahaha!

See I WAS young once! pirat

This reply will most likely get me banned from the forum under the new rules.... No

Can't forget Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill at $2 a bottle for those "classy" dates. When you want to impress your college date with "wine"....

Lord it's amazing I managed to get married.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!   Ok another off topic but had to share this prize.  WHAT A DAY! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ok another off topic but had to share this prize. WHAT A DAY!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next