GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it

Go down 
+8
Sprocket
sherlock9c1
toomanytoyz
DBeaSSt
200OZ
94Woody
Cadet57
Lynol
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Empty
PostSubject: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 pm

EDIT: Just bought it for $750. More info later.
This morning, 95BRMW and I went to look at a 1994 Caprice wagon he found on CL. The cars got 52,000 2-owner miles on it, and the guys asking $1,500 for it. It's the most base-model LT1 Cappy wagon I've ever seen. It's a civilian model yet it has crank windows, manual locks, and a solid front bench (never seen in anything this new besides a 9C1 personally). It also has no hood ornament (was there a delete option for this?) Anyway, the problem is the rust. I've never seen it this bad on a Connecticut car before. I hoping some of you up north folk can help me assess the rust on it. Take a look at the link below; lots of pics of what looks like the Titanic, but no, it's a Caprice I assure you. The most serious is the driver side rear quarter. We took out the interior panel and looks like it rusted from the inside out, must have filled with water for years. The drivers side front fender well is rusted through, and the other area of immediate concern to me is the area inside the tailgate on the left over by the hinge. Other than the obvious rear brake line rust through which the seller just discovered (the car has been sitting since the early summer) the car has a little bit of peeling paint on the fender top and the hood is crinkled in the front from driving the hood under some fence rail in a parking lot. If there's not a pic of it, it didn't have rust on it (would you believe the spare tire well was in mint condition!!?!? D-pillars too?) The car has all new tires and the guy claims the car runs and drives great but the battery was dead so I'm going back tomorrow morning to check it out and drive it a little. So what do you all people with rusty B-wag knowledge think of it? I don't have any rust in NJ, so I have no clue about this stuff. http://picasaweb.google.com/112403261079321912100/Rustprice#
Razz

Last edited by Lynol on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:05 pm

I take back what I said about low miles and a good frame. That thing is about 100x worse than what my '93 with 124k looked like when I got it. I'd pass based on the underside alone. Not to mention the shot inner fenders. Sad to see such a low mile car is such piss poor shape thou.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Holy smokes. Seeing pics like this make me VERY happy to live where I do. That wagon would be sitting in a u pic yard if it was down here. THAT is a wagon you hack into pieces, lol.

That said, the tail gate area pic looks like my wagon, my driver quarter is no where near that bad. That wagon makes my floors look mint.

I wouldn't spend more than $500 and that is being very generous.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:09 pm

I've seen worse... heck, I've driven worse, but it still doesn't look all that good. Looks like a good winter rat. I'd take a pretty solid 150,000 mile PA. over that pile. You need to check the front 2 body mounts on the left and right side. A lot of the front 2 mounts that are attached to the firewall are shot on the rust buckets here in NY. A good front end crash in a car with rotted body mounts will ruin your day.

Mike
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Wow, I didn't even know you could get manual door locks on the wagons!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Wow, I didn't even know you could get manual door locks on the wagons!

Yup. I looked at a '94 that supposedly was a NYS Dept of Corrections car. Claimed it was a police package, had no 1A2 code... Police blue on blue cloth, LT1, manual everything.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 pm

I've seen and driven worse, too. Smile

As mentioned, winter rat for sure.

And hey! It's got a new fuel filter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 10:26 pm

That rusty, it doesn't matter that it's got 52k on it. You've got maybe 2 years tops before you'll have to junk it. I'm saying that based on my first '95 RMW that lasted 18 months before the frame got too soft to pass inspection. It was about that rusty. I wish i had taken more pictures of the rust.

I would pass unless you want the interior, but that base of an interior isn't of much use anyhow. Besides, who would want to drive around in a car with no power locks and no power windows? Yuck. The other option is how rusty is the LT1? That engine/trans might have some value as spares but that's about it. Really, you'd be tying up $1500 or $1k or whatever into that car which will have ZERO value in about 24 months other than spare parts. That's how to look at it. Save your money.

Honestly, my '94 RMW from Miami with 140k on it has been through 5 Syracuse winters (albeit treated with oil and kept up) and it looks 100x better than that.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I will look at those body mounts as mentioned. If I was to buy this car, it would just be for the winter to give me a taste of the LT1, then I'd probably take its tires and part it or sell it in the spring. The frame has no rust through... yet. What do you think i should offer?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:12 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Besides, who would want to drive around in a car with no power locks and no power windows? Yuck.

My sedan was like that and I drove it just fine for 3 years Wink Was a few less pounds and 8 things to NOT quit working and need repaired in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 am

you can probably get 600-1000 for the driveline alone depending on condition and buyer so there is some return on investment. that said you don't have that color interior on the olds, so the interior pieces aren't much use for ya but lot's of other little parts you can store away for future use.

In florida that probabhly get about 600-800, and whoever bought it would pull the engine and scrap the rest.

After reading all the replies and THEN looking at the pics I was thinking it's not THAT bad. I'd say the 1A2 NYSP that I bought on ebay was only a little better underneath. and I paid 1700 for it with 140K but that was three years ago when nice ones were still 3-4K.

check the floorpan under the driver's seat. on my 1A2 the seat rail was starting to poke through the floor (noticed when I was shop vaced the rust off the bottom, lol.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I'd say Sprocket is right at about what it's worth. I'd offer $500 but pay up to $650...
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

are you up to date on your tetnus shots?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 5:52 pm

$500 tops. I tried for many many months to sell/trade a COMPLETE LT1 drivetrain for $500 with zero bites.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: BOUGHT   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Yeah so the Caprice (or Caprust if you prefer) has been bought. I haggled with him for a while and came to $750. I'ts not a great car, but I've certainly looked at worse that was much more. I know some of you guys were saying not much more than $500 or $600 but I figure I can get use out of it, new tires, and have an LT1 and trans when I'm done with it, so I figured it was worth it. Upon a close inspection of the frame with wire brush and screwdrivers, it seems fine. Floor pans are solid as well. There's actually parts of the frame that still has paint on it. But, I'm not looking for a nice wagon to keep forever, I figure I'll keep it until spring and then save the tires, engine and trans and scrap the rest. I'm not looking to make money on it or anything, just something to help me decide if I want an LT1 sedan or not. Heck, if I save the motor, I could buy one of the many cheap as free L99 sedans and drop that in there. So pending a brake line repair and a 02 sensor replacement, the Caprust will be on the road and the OCC will be off for the winter. So I now join the ranks of those who own more than one wagon. Heres one pic, i'll put up more later.
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000627
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Looks nice, I think you made a good deal. Congratulations! My first LT1 wagon was a '94 Caprice with no power anything, like yours, looked the same other than mine was all light blue. I paid twice what you paid. cheers

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Nice Score Lynol. Figure the tires are worth 200 so I say you did well. the rear quarter reminds me of the 1973 Caddy I had. My Dad went totally old skool on it.
Hit it with a wire wheel in the drill then we cut cardboard to fit and fiber glassed it into place and bondo over it. never bubbled again in the next 5 years we had it Razz

Check Crovo's thread on the Caddy for other ideas on quick fixer uppers.

Oh btw, the LT1 will be addicting. Open 2.56 rear? lay a track for a block and half easy hee hee hee (put some old tires on first Smile

Hey that thing looks like an OCC!!!!
cherry farao rendeer king queen jocolor <- Naya wanted these
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

200OZ wrote:
Looks nice, I think you made a good deal. Congratulations! My first LT1 wagon was a '94 Caprice with no power anything, like yours, looked the same other than mine was all light blue. I paid twice what you paid. cheers

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I checked those body mounts like you said as soon as I got there on Sunday, and the ones at the firewall and the rear ones are all rust free.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Lynol wrote:
200OZ wrote:

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I checked those body mounts like you said as soon as I got there on Sunday, and the ones at the firewall and the rear ones are all rust free.

Never ceases to amaze me the things that are and aren't rusted on these cars...
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Yup. My wagon has rust in the strangest of places, yet is spotless in others.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:35 am

If you want it to last, starting grinding, painting, and oiling now. you may extend the life of the car a bit.

oh, and it's never the parts of the frame that still have paint on them that kill you; it's the other 'missing' parts.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am

Scary rust, but at the very least it's a really low mile LT1! Now you've got a car you can drive year-around without feeling guilty. There is a certain freedom in that!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Lynol's "new" car is in my yard now awaiting the brake repair, and his registration. Snapped a pretty blurry pic of it this morning before work in "the line up". I am going to give him a hand in slowing the rust. A lot of wire wheel brushing and some rust inhibitor should extend its life.
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it 265597040_photobucket_16010_
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:26 pm

I spy a Riviera too... Mmmmm. I like those.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:24 am

Stingroo wrote:
I spy a Riviera too... Mmmmm. I like those.

Was thinking exactly the same thing. One of the few FWD'ers I actually want to own. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 am

I bought the riviera earlier this year with a knocking engine (had 99,900 miles on it). 97 Supercharged. I was never a fan of 2 door cars, but something about this one made me want it. Once I got it home I knew what that was, its measures only 11 inches longer than a wagon! I guess if I am gonna own a coupe, it might as well be the biggest one I can find!

And no, the center console is not for sale! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 am

Yep I like those Riv's too. That Series II 3800 SC is a great engine as long as the intake gaskets hold!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:50 am

I know all too well about those gaskets. That's what did in the original engine. The 60k junk yard engine's didn't look to good either.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:55 am

I've never had a Riv, but I've had two non-supercharged Bonneville's, a supercharged Park Avenue, and currently my wife drives a '01 Grand Prix with a non-supercharged 3800. Great engines, love the 3800's, and a great drivetrain, but the gaskets on the SC and the entire plastic plenum on the non-sc cars are the weak links.

I replace those every 50K miles just to be safe! ; )
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Here's some more pics....
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000629
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000626
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000630
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000625
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000622
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000621
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000620
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000624
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000631

And we can't forget the nice big hole; from the inside this time
Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it P1000618
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey. Minus the hole, that looks like my quarter Sad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 12:30 am

That body is pretty clean! Looks like it spent it's whole life parked in the grass...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 am

Man the lower doors look really solid. I guess that rubber weatherstripping really works!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 am

The doors are never the problem on these cars.

That rear fender looks like it got rusted from the inside out due to a water leak.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 am

When I looked at the 88 Cutlass the lower door was one of my first spots to check. They rusted like mad. Glad GM improced the design on the newer wagons.
Back to top Go down
92 Woody Wagon

92 Woody Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Looks like a typical car that was driven in the salt then parked in a garage with no air movement underneath, that's unreal but I bet it runs good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ClarkGriswold
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it   Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looked at a rusty low miles Caprice, UPDATE: just bought it
Page 1 of 1