GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Shocks and Springs

Go down 
+3
Nick Danger
81X11
Cadet57
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 am

My wagon is starting to lean a bit on the right and I figure its time for springs and/ or shocks. Anyone have a good recommendation for replacements? I want to either keep the ride height the same, or even get the rear a bit higher but not too much. Rock auto has only one "wagon" spring in their catalog, but there are plenty of shocks. I was considering the: Monroe # 58574 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber; Maintains Ride Height Up To 1200 lbs.; Package of Two -are these decent? I also have air ride and would have just replaced the air shocks, but no idea if the compressor works as it was unplugged and the plug contacts are all oxidized and green.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Posted this on the Yahoo Groups wagon site a while back. Still happy with the way I did mine. Long post.....but that's ME!

SO my buddy was nice enough to let me use the lift at his shop, thank goodness.
Put the wagon up in the air, pulled the rear wheels, and got to work removing
the factory air shocks. Bottoms were easy, tops were a nightmare. NO
WORKROOM, even with the the lift. WHY didn't gm put capturned nuts up
there?!?!?

My drivers side rear shock was an oily mess, and the shocks both still had the
Delco tags. Originals. After much cursing and stuggling got them off. These
were SHOT.

The new shocks are Gabriel Load Handlers, with external springs. Went this
route rather than replacing the original springs or adding airbags. Supposed
to add an extra 500lbs of load capacity, so thought these would make up for the
air shocks. Crap shoot, but seemed the easiest solution.

Putting these on was HARD though. Had to reach around the springs now to get
at the upper bolts. ZERO FUN, but finally got them on. Taped the end of the
oil air lines and zip-tied them up out of the way.

NEXT moved to the front, pulled the wheels, and looked at the shocks. Looked
easy, thank goodness. Bought Monroe Severe Service shocks after reading other posts about these. Cheaper than KYB but almost as good as the Bilstiens that came on the SS's.

The old shocks came off easy, thank goodness for rust-free Texas metal! These
shocks didn't look bad but when set next to the new Monroe Severe Service shocks
the old shocks looked tiny! The diameter of the new shocks looked twice the
size. Installed the new Monroe shocks in no time. Easy job.

THE NEW SHOCKS ARE WONDERFUL!!! What a change! Is this the same car??? The
front does not float AT ALL, but it still rides very smooth. You hit a bump
and the front doesn't care. No harsh bang, no multiple bounces, no bobbing.
I just can't say enough good about these Monroe SS shocks.

The rear is a tad softer with the Gabriel coil-overs than the front Monroes but
it's WORLDS better than it was. No bobbing anymore. Feels secure and smooth.
And the rear of the car sits just fine, no sag, looking at the car from the side
the upper fender lip is about even with the top of the wheel rim. Looks fine!
Will have to see how the car does with a full load in it.

Took the car to the car wash and then to the local cruise night in Cedar Park
Texas. Car rides just super. It's so stable and smooth you just would not
believe the difference.

Now the last goofy part. I put the tail gate down at the car meet and sat
down. I heard the air compressor come on. Whoops, forgot to unplug that and
the car was trying to air up shocks that were no longer there!

Pulled the owner's manual and located the relay box under the hood and pulled
the air pump relay. Done.

And the new shocks are GREAT!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Awesome reply. Thank you. I was actually looking at those Gabriels for the rear as that is what Autozone has in stock. With those on the car, you remove the rear spring correct?

Also, How is the car with a load? I'm trying to get shocks that will level the car as much as possible even under load. Did you replace the springs as well? What did you use there if you did?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:37 pm

In the back I still have the stock springs from when the car had air shocks, plus the coil-over Gabriels. It sits nice and level and I've had six adults and two kids in the car and it didn't bottom out, but I've yet to tow with it. I will say if you want to maintain the ride height with a big load you may want to consider changing the springs or adding air bags. I don't tend to "work" my car that hard, and the way I have it set up is fine for me.

I did want to make a comment about the front springs. After posting this I realized where you live. If Mass is anything like Jersey was, you may want to go with KYB's up front, not the Monroe Severe Service shocks. The Monroe SS's are FIRM. It's not a big deal here in Texas where the roads are generally new and smooth, but on older, cracked and frost-heaved roads like you guys may have up there, these may rattle you to death.

I've read the KYB's ride softer but still give good control. For an even smoother ride you could go with Monroe Sensa-Tracs, but those are SOFT. It all depends on what you want.

My 2-cents!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

I used Bilstein 1104/0929 shocks, kept the original springs, and attached Airlift 1000 air bags to a compressor. My compressor was burnt out, so I bought from someone else on the forum. The compressor needs an easy mod so it doesn't overinflate the bags. I used Bill Harper's rear shock mount hardware, which made mounting the new shocks a lot easier.

When I was done, I had automatic ride height, the car tracked better, and the lean was gone. The soft springs still soak up the bumps but the stiff shocks keep the ride from being mushy.

Cheapest Bilsteins I could find: http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_Index=7Q11&Manf=All&SubChar=Q
Mounting hardware: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=234476
Autoadjust suspension mod: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=231599
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 pm

I have Sensa Tracs on my wagon and it floats and bounces like crazy. Cannot wait to get them replaced with something stiffer.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 9:51 pm

OEM blistens avail from that website. search the parts for sale section to a link I posted.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 am

Another stupid questions, for REAR springs, Autozone lists "Regular", which look like what are in my car now and "variable rate" which have more coils, which should I buy keeping in mind I'll probably go with the Gabriel coil overs in the rear? I frequently see roadmasters with a huge rake in the back and it looks bad, I really dont want that, Id rather keep the car level, or if I have to, only go up a tiny bit.

94Woody wrote:
I have Sensa Tracs on my wagon and it floats and bounces like crazy. Cannot wait to get them replaced with something stiffer.

Those are the Monroe Sensa Trac coil overs correct? I'll make a note to stay away. Thanks

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 am

I used the Gabriel coil-over rear shocks and left the stock rear springs alone. Worked fine, ride is good. Bought those at Autozone.

If you are towing or something put the variable rate springs back there and then you can use whatever shocks you like. If the goal is to NOT have to replace the rear springs and you don't want to mess with air bags then the coil-over Gabriel shocks are fine.

For the front I still say get KYB Gas-A-Just. They're not as stiff and the Monroe Severe Service or Bilsteins but are are much firmer than run-of-the-mill shocks and the pricing on the KYB's is very fair. Advance Auto Parts stocks them if you have those up there.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:36 am

81X11 wrote:
Advance Auto Parts stocks them if you have those up there.

-Mike

We do, even have one about a 1/2 mile away. But I avoid that place like the plague, or an ex girlfriend. Laughing I'll see if Rockauto has them.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Lol.

I'd rather walk into a store and grab the part off the shelf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:03 pm

^ Agreed, whenever possible. Unless online is significantly cheaper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:20 pm

So bump.

I'm going to do my shocks over the summer. It bounces like mad. I want it firm. Air ride can go to hell too, I hate it and have no use for it.

I found the Severe Service shocks at Rock Auto, but they're listed as Sedan only. Is that true? If not, I'm in business. 4 shocks for under $150? Yes please.

If not - what would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Well I havent done mine yet. I'm actually ordering the stuff this week for the rear. I'm going with Moog CC623 variable rate springs. They look a lot beefier than the stock springs so I think that'll help lift the back and firm it up a bit. I'm also going with Gabriel Load Carrier coil over springs. pn 43060. As for the fronts, they're still pretty good so I can't help ya there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:10 pm

I don't know about my springs yet. I'm going to try and just do the shocks for now, car only has 114k miles.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I don't know about my springs yet. I'm going to try and just do the shocks for now, car only has 114k miles.

I only have 15k more but the springs have had it, thou my guess is potholes here don't help Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Yeah, my roads are relatively flat. LOL

But we'll see what happens. I haven't been under there to see what exactly it needs, but it bounced like 4 times when I went over a small hole thing on the highway today. That can't be good. Plus, my rear air shocks are leaking, and I plan on deleting them anyway, so I may as well do all 4.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 pm

The Monroe 550012 (front) and 550013(rear) are listed as severe duty Police/Taxi sedan only shocks.

I have had them on mine for the past 4 years with ZERO issues!

Airlift 1000 #60755 bags WILL improve ride and yes, you will use them when the "kids" at school realize that you have a tail seat and want to check it out.

If you are adamant about removing the air ride, please keep me in mind as a new owner of the compressor..... Mine is shot and there are none in the junk yards here.

I will even drive down there to pick it up Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Well, I'm not in Jacksonville anymore, but I can definitely hold onto it for you. Mine works, but I don't want it. I don't let people sit in the rear seat.

Good to know the "sedan only" shocks work. I'll be ordering them next week. Smile

Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
The Monroe 550012 (front) and 550013(rear) are listed as severe duty Police/Taxi sedan only shocks.

I have had them on mine for the past 4 years with ZERO issues!

Airlift 1000 #60755 bags WILL improve ride and yes, you will use them when the "kids" at school realize that you have a tail seat and want to check it out.

If you are adamant about removing the air ride, please keep me in mind as a new owner of the compressor..... Mine is shot and there are none in the junk yards here.

I will even drive down there to pick it up Cool

I have probably 2 compressors in my garage. There is also a 92 and 94 RMS sedan in the yard near me as well as a 91 Caprice Wagon. Too bad I am leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks. The RMS' will be there when I get back but the Caprice, maybe not.

The compressors are not uncommon on other rides but be careful that you get one with the correct plug for you harness.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm

*Bump*

Well, Uncle Sam was kind enough to send me a tax refund this year so I can finally do shocks and springs. Picked up some Gabriel Ultra shocks and Moog variable rate (CC623) springs. Also ordered a set of Bill Harpers shock install brackets. Everything will be going in this coming weekend. I'll post how it goes and if I'd recommend the shocks.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Bump. Got everything installed. Went much better than I thought it would. Those shock brackets from Bill are fantastic, I would highly recommend a pair if/when you do shocks. The CC623's are great. Slip right in and gave me about an inch and a half higher clearance than the old spring. The ride in the back is so smooth now too.

Couple pics...

Height before:
shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs IMG_20110507_101844

Height after:
shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs IMG_20110507_135244

Old shocks:
shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs IMG_20110507_115826

Old springs:
shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs IMG_20110507_115809
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Give the springs a couple of days to settle and remeasure.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Give the springs a couple of days to settle and remeasure.

Do you think that i'll loose that inch and a half?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:46 pm

That's on my to-do list for sure. Glad you got the upper shock bolts out. What a pain that is on our cars!

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 10:28 pm

maybe not the whole 1.5", but you will lose some as the spring settles under the weight.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the pics and info, will be placing an order at Rock Auto soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Well, its been a week and I went and measured the height again today. If anything i've lost maybe an 1/8th to a 1/4" in height from when I first put them in. Car still sits much better than it used to. The CC623 is a great spring. Also, had 4 rims and tires in the car and it still sat great. Car only sunk a tiny bit, but the ride was barely changed.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm

I put a set of cargo springs in the back of my rmw and the ride height came up over 2 inches....

Shocks on deck for tomorrow......Oil change too. got the rims on tonight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Thats great Justin please keep us informed buddy.Looks like you saved me and a few others
a lot of work and searching.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks and Springs   shocks - Wagon Shocks and Springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Shocks and Springs
Page 1 of 1