GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wide whites - question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Wide whites - question Empty
PostSubject: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Okay, I've decided I want to try the wide whitewall thing. I can NOT do this myself. I don't have the tools, and even if I did, my hand is NOWHERE near steady enough to try it. Do tire shops do this sort of thing or something like that? I've heard of it being done but I don't know if there's truth to that. Anyone know? Anyone got pictures of wide whites they did/had done?
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 am

I did a full write up. You do NOT need a steady hand, and for what they'd charge you, you could get cheapy flea market tools and DIY.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 am

I see your thread, but I'm still wary of doing it myself because I know they'd come out wavy and I'd just get annoyed by them and end up turning them back inward anyway, thus making it a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 10:57 am

You can't make them wavy. The line in the rubber is cast the way it's cast. If it's straight, you get straight. If it's wavy, you get wavy. Wink

So essentially, you can't screw it up. Only way you can, is if you spend too much time in one spot and go through the white. I didn't, so you won't. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 am

Hmm.... well that still raises the issue that I don't have a grinder or anything else.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 pm

I bought a cheap grinder last month from Sears for $30.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Hmm..... maybe time to check the Black Friday tool deals out.

Is it easier to do this with the tire off the rim or what? Almost all of the videos I've seen show it off the rim, but if I'm just going to the OUTSIDE I don't need to take it off, do I?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I did mine on the rim, fully inflated. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 3:21 pm

That's what I thought.

It'll have to wait then. Decided my black Friday spending cash is going toward a much-needed new cell phone. Then next week's check is for getting myself home for Christmas, where I'll be broke until mid-January. Sad College sucks.
Back to top Go down
FlashGumby

FlashGumby

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 pm

The other thing to think about is that sometimes shops won't MOUNT the tires if you've altered them in any way (ie grinding), so it may behoove you to have them mounted first an *then* do the grinding.

-Scott
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Hmm I never thought of that.

Did you do your own, Flash? Those look really good.
Back to top Go down
BigWagon

BigWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Bewber wrote:
I did a full write up. You do NOT need a steady hand, and for what they'd charge you, you could get cheapy flea market tools and DIY.
Bewber,
That looks awesome but it would scare the tar out of me to try it. Very nicely done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey sting I watched a guy turn all 4 tires on his car into wide whites and he did it using the drive
axle up on jackstands.He had it safely balanced on 4 jackstands.Had to block the opposite wheel to keep the power constant.Started the car,put it in drive and went to town on each tire on that
same hub.He said to always use the same model number tires to keep the whitewalls underneath consistent.I thought it was a joke video but those tires looked like storebought wide whites.He
used a homemade brace to help him keep the grinder at a constant angle.He had someone in the car put the car in drive and maintained 25 mph.
It was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen but it worked!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah I saw a similar video. Somebody did it actually using a RMW, except they put the car in reverse and just let it run.

I'm thinking about doing it again. The smoothies don't look right with the blackwalls...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wide whites - question   Wide whites - question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wide whites - question
Page 1 of 1