GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The very last Custom Cruiser ever made

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Empty
PostSubject: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 pm

I got bored tonight and took my OCC vin, removed the serial number part on the end and added the number 4347 (total # of OCCs made in 1992) to it, then I played with the check digit until I got a valid result on compnine, and whaddaya know, I actually found what I believe is the very last Olds Custom Cruiser ever made. It's a white car with a tan leather interior, it was manufactured June, 20th, 1992. Now, here's where it gets interesting; I ran that VIN in Autocheck and this car is still on the road (last record 7/2010), AND it's spent it's lifetime in Florida, initially titled new in Panacea, FL in September of '92, it appears to be a one owner, currently registered in Tallahassee (since 2002). It's last odo. reading in April 2010 states 247,626, so this Olds has done a lot of cruising. So if anyone in Florida (Sprocket, I'm lookin at you) ever sees a white '92 OCC with alloys and a tan interior, stop and look at the VIN because it might just be the very last OCC ever made.
Oh, here's the VIN, check compnine and see it for yourselves: 1G3BP8370NW304347
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 am

WOW Lionel that was a great idea about counting backwards on the vin to find the last OCC built.Very ingenious and
a little scary.Mines a 91 and according to the vin it sat on the lot from date of delivery or manufacture until it was
bought by the first owner in late 93 or early 94.I like to think that the dealer had it on display in the showroom or
maybe in one of those huge plastic bubbles in a heated dark room with 24 hour security.Yea I am little goofy but
thats from the crap I have to take for my severe alergy to warm weather insects.I have the same reaction to nats
and mosquitos as those alergic to bees and wasp stings and its a miserable way to live when its warm.Doc said its
very rare in adults and the kids that have grow out of it but I grew into it.
Take It Easy Lionel
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:53 am

Lynol, did you try a couple VIN #s higher just for kicks (just wondering if it's really the last one).

Also, Tallahassee is about a 7 hour drive from me (FL isd a BIG state), so I doubt I'll ever see it. Smile

Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 am

Florida isn't a big state, it's a tall state. It's America's penis.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Bewber wrote:
Florida isn't a big state, it's a tall state. It's America's penis.

yup and it pees all over Castro, lol.

The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Florida-keys-aerial-usa
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 am

Sprocket wrote:
Lynol, did you try a couple VIN #s higher just for kicks (just wondering if it's really the last one).

Also, Tallahassee is about a 7 hour drive from me (FL isd a BIG state), so I doubt I'll ever see it. Smile

I tried one serial number up from that with either engine, no results. Were any '91 -'92 OCCs built at Arlington? Or were these exclusive to Willow Run? Next time I'm in FL I'm making a side trip to Tallahassee to find that car, lol.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 6:57 am

I'm not 100% but I think all Cruisers were built in Willow Run.

Nice detective work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Well I saw one 92 num 42xx that was built May of 92 as a C4C victim. Spent over 200 at the PNP saving parts off it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Well I saw one 92 num 42xx that was built May of 92 as a C4C victim.

Such a shame. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: First of last OCCs   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:16 pm

So I played around with more VIN serial numbers and check digits, and I found some more interesting OCC VINs (I searched the first 17 for 1991):
The first several 1991 model year OCC's had an RPO for "lead units" as well as a whole bunch of one-off or single digit production amount RPO codes or various things, some making sense some not.

VIN #1 built May 23rd '90 was also the only Canadian spec OCC produced.

VIN #'s 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10 were all built 2-19-'90, so it seems the VINs did not necessarily go in order at first.

VIN #4 built 5-04-'90, also has an RPO code for "Pilot Vehicle"
VIN #6 built 5-22-'90, another "pilot vehicle"
VIN #7 built 5-24-'90, another "pilot vehicle"

The next two have normal RPO's but were made very early, and a month apart. They also do not list a make or model when searched in compnine like all of the 2-19-'90 ones did.
VIN #11 built 8-06-'90
VIN #12 built 9-10-'90

VIN #13 cannot be found (oooooohhhhh superstitious are we?)

VIN #'s 14 and up seem normal, no weird or low RPO codes, all built starting 11-01-'90
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm

"Pilot vehicle" huh. I know when a new car comes out they build several to "work out the kinks' on the assembly line or test crash. Perhaps thats what those are?

I need to find the VIN from my first Cruiser. It was build around the 11/90 timeframe.

Here it is - 1G3BP83E4MW300329

Last I heard it was on the way to Florida. Wonder if it's still alive.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The very last Custom Cruiser ever made   The very last Custom Cruiser ever made Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The very last Custom Cruiser ever made
Page 1 of 1