GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

quarter window swap?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
la65gs

quarter window swap? Empty
PostSubject: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Does anyone know if the window glass from a Caprice wagon will fit on a Roadmaster wagon?
I like the longer windows of the Caprice over the filler piece between the rear door and back glass of the Roadmaster.
Loren
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:21 pm

They won't fit. Roadmasters have larger B pillars.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 am

Actually the "C" pillar is different. The "B" pillar is between the doors. The Caprice has a square lower leading edge, and the RMW has a curved lower leading edge. The 91 OCC glass is the same as the RMW, and the 92 OCC glass is the same as the Caprice.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 am

Yeah... C pillar is what I ment. I had B stuck in my head for some reason.
Back to top Go down
la65gs

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 am

Good to know. Looks like I saved the caprice glass for nothing.
Thanks guys,
Loren
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 am

Pretty sure they don't make those rear panels anymore. Hang onto them, they could be worth some $
Back to top Go down
la65gs

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I know that the RMW window is not made any longer. About 4 years ago, I had a portable basket ball hoop go through the driver side. No new ones then and it was a difficult time finding a used one.
For now , they are up in the rafters of my out building.

Regards,
Loren
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

The windows are hard to get, because they are difficult to remove. I have yet to get one out at the junk yard. You need a heat gun to soften the goo that holds them in. They also have about 6 studs on the frame with nuts holding the reveal molding in place. Save all of them that you can. In the near future, you will not find many even in the junk yards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks Fred learn something new everyday.Didnt know about the diff between the 91 OCC sideglass and the 92 OCC.Going to park the 95 RMW up against the OCC tomorrow and take
pics of the difference.Personally I think a 255/60 on a 7 inch rim is really pushing it.The sidewall
is going to bulge out badly and the tread wont lay flat on the road.I am going with a 235/60
on my 15x7 stock OCC alloys.It is going to put a strain on the tire bead area as well.
M H O
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I believe that you can swap them out if you remove the whole window frame. the curved glass in the front is inside the window frame. The frame itself IS interchangeable. Just take a look at the 'factory' Impala wagon/mule that came from the factory with a L99. RMW glass on one side and Caprice on the other on the same car.

I haven't taken one apart but know that you can infact swap them if you take the whole shebang out. How else could a 92 OCC have Caprice side glass and a vista roof......

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Yo Sprocket who you calling a mule?Seriously which "Factory" Impala wagon are you talking about?
Thanks
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 pm

The stock alloys should be 7.5 inches IIRC. I have 255s on 7.5 steelies (stock steelies), and they are fine. You may find that your speedo will be fast with the 255/60s. They are only 27 inches in diameter (235/60s are even smaller), vs. stock 225/75s which are 28 inches. That would be a 5% increase in odometer/speedometer speed. You will rack up 5% more miles on the odometer. and have a 5% fast error on the speedo (current 60 would show 63). Check this site for gear ratios: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/. Go down to, and click on the speedometer section. There will be a chart for the gears. For reference, the stock drive gear is an 18 tooth. There is also a formula if your gears are not on the chart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Fred are you measuring the outside edge to the opposing outside edge?Should measure inside
of the bead lip to the opposite bead lip.On my stock steelies and my OCC alloys they both
measure 7 inches across.Of course I guess there could be some different size rims out there.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: quarter window swap?   quarter window swap? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

quarter window swap?
Page 1 of 1