GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

why you should READ the FSM to help you out.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Empty
PostSubject: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 pm

As you may recall, just before Grimace was born from the ashes, the AC crapped out in the car. Actually, the schrader valves needed replacin.
When I went to fill it up. the compressor wouldn't kick on.

Now 7 weeks of 470 AC (4 winders 70mph), I actually picked up the FSM last night and in 5 minutes had the solution.

The automagic climate control system was the culprit. Seems on these fancy type luxary items, if the compressor cycles to fast it cuts off the voltage to it. When I replaced my valves I never disconnected Mr. Battery. That's all it took.
Disconnect battery. go get Freon (yes R-12), hook it all up, reconnect battery. start car. wait for the 30 second countdown and viola! Compressor on, sucking in the Frosty Freeze Smile AC blows like Frosty's girlfriend now, just in time for my trip to Kennedy Space Center tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

It is amazing what information the FSM has in it. You might even think it was made to help mechanics to fix these cars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey John.,I tryed jumping the compressor but nothing happened,then I remembered about the disconnect procedure
and once I had unhooked and rehooked aand waited for 30 seconds and everything is great in the world.Once I
recharged the system to a safe level for a 20 year old car,all is cold again.Went to my pain management
doctor yesterday about a half hour from home.At 25 lbs on the low side and about 150 on the high side she is blowing
at 45 degrees with the climate control set at 65 degrees and the fan on about speed 3.When the climate control
runs the system,it controls the fan speed and and output and it will get uncomfortably cold pretty fast.Man I love these old wagons even with the leaking AC and the little old LO3 engine.
I was almost to my doctors office and was 2 stoplights and 1/4 mile away.Slow down for the second to last light and look for any vehicles aproaching the lights.And what do I see but a 91/92 OCC in sapphire blue with Cragar SS wheels and all black limo tinted windows.Car was very rough but appeared to be rust free and the driver had his hand out the window waving like crazy.I would have liked to talk to him but I was pressed for time and he was going the opposite
way.Not much of a story I know but I got a big kick out of it.Hope everybody made out OK in these damn storms!
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey John I forgot to ask was the F that stands for farhrenheight flashing before you disconnected the battery?On mine I now know that when that F is flashing on the
climate control panel I just need to disconnect and reconnect the battery and count for 30 seconds and I am good to go>
IMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Didn't notice the F or not..... My system was discharged so I didn't try to jump the compressor directly from the batt. I didn't think the compressor was bad as I knew it wasn't getting the voltage to the compressor and the pressure switch was good.
If I turned it on, it looked normal from the panel in the car. I could adjust fan speed etc. just the compressor never kicked on.

Mind you this car was made at the beginning of the production run so there may be a few subtle changes here and there.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
It is amazing what information the FSM has in it. You might even think it was made to help mechanics to fix these cars.
yeah right? Razz
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Way to go! Glad you got ice coming out the vents again!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 am

Glad it was a simple trick to fix and not a 500 dollar labor and part fix!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 am

Heh, I just found this particular tidbit out myself when 'Red' wouldn't kick the compressor on. Seems the diagnostic codes all clear when you turn the ignition off EXCEPT the low freon code. Wink Wasn't hard to clear using the function built into the unit either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 9:31 am

on the way home last night the climate control didn't seem to work, just COLD air.....wonder if the heater core is blocked....Not going to worry about it as summer is here for the most part and it'll only be on HIGH for the next 6 months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why you should READ the FSM to help you out.   why you should READ the FSM to help you out. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why you should READ the FSM to help you out.
Page 1 of 1