GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Decent Paint Remover?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

A Decent Paint Remover? Empty
PostSubject: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I recently discovered that the brown that sits underneath the vinyl woodgrain is actually above the clearcoat on the rest of the paint. I'm told some light sanding and some paint remover will take it off. Can anyone recommend a paint remover that will take off that brown paint but not damage the clear coat beneath it?
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 6:17 am

Sorry but not going to happen. If you want to get past the brown it's going to tedious hours of careful sanding,.. then you will have to buff that out when done. Not gone to be an easy job. Sand and shoot some paint back over it,.. then clear. That's the way I would do it, but I'm painter.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:30 am

It's probably for the best. I planned to repaint the whole car, but I figured I'd try this and clean up my Duplicolor spray job too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Try compounding it with a machine. extra cut compound, 1000 grit sand paper wet. Just a little wet sanding, dont go all the way with the sanding let the compound do the work.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 5:20 am

How far are you from Barre? I only ask because I have a plow over there I need to pick up and I could swing by and look at your ride and maybe even help you out if you wanted me too.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 8:59 am

Well, Barre is about an hour to the northeast of me. However, depending on how you were planning to get to there, I'm right off of I-90. It also depends on when you were heading out this way, I have finals all this week so I won't be around. But if our schedules do work out I appreciate the offer.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 1:59 pm

I wasn't planning on going right off. I have a gut feeling that when Iget to this guy's place he won't have it ready for me to pick up and i would be going that way again, but I love road trips so when ever is good with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Decent Paint Remover?   A Decent Paint Remover? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Decent Paint Remover?
Page 1 of 1