GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C

Go down 
+16
lakeffect
jayoldschool
Krzdimond
Gastt
BigBlackBeaSSt
jimbeau
gmtech
92cappy
buickwagon
Bandwagon
Sprocket
WagonLover
Cadet57
mtrhead79
200OZ
81X11
20 posters
AuthorMessage
buickwagon

buickwagon

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:31 am

This car is an RMW with the C68 fully automatic climate control. There is no recirc button. The recirc function is only commanded in maximum cooling mode -- either when the CC decides the interior temperature is sufficiently higher than the commanded temperature to warrant it, or when the commanded temperature is set to the minimum (15°C/59°F).

Unfortunately, while recirculating the air does tend to lower the vent temperatures, it actually reduces cooling to the middle and rear seats. In normal operation, outside air drawn into the car causes a slight increase in air pressure, causing the pressure relief valves next to the middle-row seats to open. The resulting air flow draws cool air from the front seats rearward to the middle of the car. However, when recirculating, very little air is drawn in from outside, so very little air exhausts. Most of the air simply circulates around the front seating area, leaving mostly dead air in the rear half of the car. This can be alleviated by pointing the dash outlets upwards so that the air tends to blow over and around the front seat backs and return along the floor under the seats.

However, there is no mode that draws air to the third-row seating in the wagon. Because the pressure relief valves are next to the centre row of seating, and there is no return path below the seats: the third row is in dead air. Opening the rear vent windows helps when the car is moving but with the long, dark roof the air that does get there has warmed by the time it reaches them. Too bad they are manual - the little guys can't reach them when belted in and you don't want them open when it's raining anyway.

Rear AC (and heat in the winter -- it can get down to -40 around here) would be the best solution, but the other idea I had was to cut in a pair of 12v computer muffin fans somewhere under the rear speakers. With a corresponding pair of exhaust vents somewhere in the vicinity of the middle row seat cushion, it would help the rear passengers somewhat. It still leaves me freezing up front though.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:12 am

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 5:23 pm

My 94 silhouette had factory rear ac. It was in the side. Worked well at cooling the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

I have an 04 Express van (3500) with rear AC and heat. Works like a charm. It is small enough to fit in the rear cubby holes.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:24 pm

I have a pair of rear Caddy air ducts if anyone needs them.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:28 am

Other possible ideas according to RedneckAC.com

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Medium_Air-Conditioned-Wagon-Palisades

portable version

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 FH42ZUVF54HJ6K0.MEDIUM

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 RedneckACControls

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Tifi-airconditioned

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Picture-AC-13-624x452

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Picture-AC-14-624x441
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:03 am

Great pics! I appreciate ingenuity, even if it is sometimes 'misguided'.
Back to top Go down
59 wagon man

59 wagon man

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:59 pm

well guys my wagon maybe a little bigger and doesn't seal weatherwise good compared to your newer car's ,so here is just my 2 cents. originally had a vintage air in dash with a monster cooler but it just couldn't really cool the car ,left the indash added an old style underdash ,split the lines and you would think you could make ice cubes
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 pm

That's why I bought an Astro minivan with DUAL A/C !
Wanna buy my wagon?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 am

Those pics are great!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2022 7:27 pm

super old thread here but did anyone ever do anything with this idea? I was googling and it brought me back to his posts.
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2022 8:15 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C   Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C - Page 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadmaster Wagon Rear A/C
Page 1 of 1