GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle

Go down 
+6
Lynol
95BRMW
buickestate
BigBlackBeaSSt
81X11
Stemmler
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Stemmler

Stemmler

U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Empty
PostSubject: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 8:21 pm

About 1.5 hours from Carlisle my u joint caps decided to leave and drop the rear of my drive shaft to the ground. Got a tow to a shop but they couldn't get the right size u joint until tomorrow. The fun never ends on road trips with this car. Plus the grass was full of ticks on the side of the road.

U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle 5865151074_d1a9443c14_b
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Its the way these cars shift I bet.

the first day I bought my wagon I got u joints thinking they where bad. but they where fine. Now you got me thinking.

Last edited by CarloNYC on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Never a dull moment!The joys of owning a classic car/wagon!
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 pm

The shaft is only a few months old. I didn't think it would cause problems.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Well....you got a pretty picture out of it...

Bummer!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Where are you staying tonight?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

We're at the Quality Inn in Carlisle. Hopefully the car will be done early and we'll drive back to pick it up.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Tim

you thinking of washing your wagon again?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 pm

buickestate wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Tim

you thinking of washing your wagon again?

Shocked Shocked

I thought if he was close I could help tomorrow.

Where is the car?
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Pep Boy's in Bethlehem. If they don't call early I'm going to check and see if they got the part. If they did I'll drive over with a guy from my club and pick it up.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 pm

That sucks! Now I'm worried about my Caprice making it to Carlisle.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Sucks to hear that, hope you get it back and smooth sailing the rest of the trip there and back home. You going to the show field or just going as a spectator?

95BRMW wrote:
That sucks! Now I'm worried about my Caprice making it to Carlisle.

Dave, we can always take my Caprice... You like sweating your balls off the whole way? I know were not going to the show field, but we do have to take a GM, even as spectators. We would look like idiots pulling into the parking lot with the Ford or the Chrysler.
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:11 am

I'll be on the show field.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

Hope the d/s isn't bent,.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 am

Stemmler wrote:
I'll be on the show field.
Good. Can't wait to see it, two-toned DGGM over silver is my favorite Caprice wagon color!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Well the car is on jackstands. Pepboys messed it up, imagine that!!.. We had to use a grinder to get the u-joint they put in back out!!! Back to the Mechanicsburg store, where they proceeded to give us the wrong u joint again!! Stuck for the night, Mickey is driving Bill back to his hotel. He will go to Autozone and pick up the correct u joint in the AM and we can finish the job I hope!!

Thanks John and Mickey for the help............

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 pm

i,d like a better explanation,.
messed up what?
grinder?
huh?

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 12:20 am

+1
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 1:04 am

+2 Manny Moe and Jack sound like a bunch of A-holes
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 7:37 am

It was noisey from the word go. Not the right u-joint I suspect. Will know more when we get the new one in................
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks to Tim I was able to get the corrct U joint in and made the GM Nationals this morning. It still has some noise but it much better. Will have to take it back to the drivesaft shop when I get home.

Thanks again to Tim, Mickey and John.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:13 pm

This is the first time I've ever heard of this problem. Makes me wonder if maybe a mistake was made during the installation. Not trying to impugn you, but just trying to find a root cause.

I'm dealing with some "installer error" on a recent job I did, but come to find out there was a hidden defect in a hose that I didn't see until I finally removed the hose from the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 am

Glad to see you were able to fix it. Sometimes (a lot of times) those PepBoys guys are idiots, especially when it comes to older style cars like ours. I took my OCC to a PepBoys and it took them an hour to tell me they can't do a front end alignment on a car with rear fender "skirts" like our wagons have. Don't know what the heck that had to do with a front end alignment. Anyway, I was glad to come across your wagon today at Carlise, too bad I missed you, but your wagon was pretty sweet. I love me some DGGM Caprice wagons!!! Hope you had a good time despite the breakdown, and hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 pm

bill did you make it home ok?
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm still in Carlisle. Leaving tomorrow morning and hopefully making it all the way home with no tow trucks invovled..

It may have been an error when I installed it. But I asked my mechanic to take a look and make sure I installed it properly. One thought was they may not have put the clips on the caps and they worked there way loose due to extened time at highway speeds. Made sense to me but but I'm still leaning a lot when it comes to cars.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I learned a bit about u-joints as well. My father showed us how to center one after installation. Might help me to go after the high speed vibration in the Impala......
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
i,d like a better explanation,.
messed up what?
grinder?
huh?

Nick

Still want this explained./
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 pm

the u joint was stuck in drive shaft had to cut it out. bill good luck on your trip home. let us know how you make out
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle   U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

U Joint caps decide not to go to Carlisle
Page 1 of 1