GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP

Go down 
+3
phantom 309
Fred Kiehl
Olds Weighty Eight
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

The distributor?

Tried that.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:05 pm

I,m sticking a f88ing needle into my eye as we speak,. to take the pain away from this thread,.

Fred as i tried so patiently to point out before,. where you actually clock the distributor makes no difference as long as there is not a vacuum advance in the way stopping it from rotating to set the timing,.as long as the plug wires reach their respective positions,. he can put the number 1 wire where ever the rotor is pointing on tdc,.
We are talking TDC number 1 and not number 6 here i hope,.
hence my instructions to pull number 1 plug to check when that cylinder is coming up on compression,.

*sigh*

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:08 pm

#1 plug was pulled. I made sure it was TDC.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Stingroo wrote:
#1 plug was pulled. I made sure it was TDC.

So a quick recap,.

car was running fine with small oil leak,.,

intake was removed and replaced,

car then ran poorly,.,

distributor was removed and repositioned, (only god and the internet experts know why,.)

car now doesn't run,.

all instructions have been followed to a "T"

OK,.
pull any wire,. stick your tongue into the end,. crank the motor over , see if your f...ing eyes light up,. then you know you still have spark,.if you still do have spark and bladder control,. follow the next piece of advice,.

Here's my advice,.(what have you got to lose??)
crank a handful of advance into the distributor counter clockwise say, almost 1/2 way between two posts of the distrib,. see what happens after you crank it over while putting your foot down at least 1/2 on the gas,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Yes the distributor. The rotor should be more toward the middle of the car, than the middle of the coil.

You could have a broken connector at the back of the ignition module on the distributor. Are you getting spark? Put your timing light on #1 and crank it while looking at the timing marks.

Send me your email, and I will send you pics of a properly installed distributor. The number one wire should be just to the left (looking at the distributor) of the left connector (looking at the distributor) on the coil. The indent for the removal of the cap hold down screw should be pretty much dead center front. Rotor should point to the same place as the #1 wire (common sense, but I wanted no stone left unturned).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Alittle gas in the tbi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 2:52 pm

It lives.

...and I am dense. I followed the firing order, but it was the wrong direction.

D'oh.

Oh well, live and learn. Oil leak is gone, and I cleaned out my EGR passages while I had the intake off, they were completely caked in some metallic crap. Should improve my fuel economy slightly.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Glad it's all better.....
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Way to go. It usually ends up being something stupid, It's just hard to look at it that way while your in the middle of it.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Maybe it's the massive difference in torque figures between my car and the Park Avenue my dad drives, but it seems to make more power than before too.

Woohoo!

Whatever. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

did you watch this now?

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 am

Boy, am I ever glad you finally got it right. This thread was becoming a PITA. When I saw the OOPS, I finally had hope. They usually do not run right when the wires are put on in reverse order. I will admit to mixing up a wire now and then, but totally backwards...I am amazed. You may even have more power than before, especially if you worked on the ignition system in the past. Who knows how many wires were crossed up, or if the timing was anywhere near correct.

Congrats for getting it right. I believe there was a lesson in this, well maybe a couple...or three...or four.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 am

If nothing else Stingroo has learned a lot about his wagon and even more about the typical
small block chevy.Hey Ray real quick now,whats the firing order of a small block chevy and
does it run clockwise or counter clockwise around the dizzy?
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am

LOL Guys.

It seems to have more power, Fred. It also seems to idle pretty high too... not sure about that.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm

It may still have a vacuum leak. The water with dishwashing liquid is a non-combustable way to check for leaks. Squirt it everywhere there is a gasket or hose. it will suck into any leak. Check the torque on your manifold bolts, especially the DS rear two. Make sure you used the correct sequence for tightening.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The water with dishwashing liquid is a non-combustable way to check for leaks.

Now where, pray tell, is the fun in that? jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP   INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

INTAKE MANIFOLD HELP! ASAP
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2