GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

intake manifold question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

intake manifold question Empty
PostSubject: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 7:47 am

my intake manifold is leaking. tried stop leak no go. so im looking at holley projection intake. from researching this subject ive found that my original distributer wont work with it because of the size of the hole. so has any one done this to there tbi??? i need to know what distributer to order and if it will work in harmony with my stock 350 tbi guts thanks

mike
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:37 am

Give Holley, Jeg's, or Summit a call. I'm sure they'd know.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:37 am

The other option is to have some aluminum built up around the hole and have a new hole machined to fit the distributor. The distributor is a short version to fit under the cowl. If you decide to buy another distributor, make sure they know that it is a short version. Most will not fit.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm

short distributer ok thanks fred. would it be worth it to go ahead and get an msd ignition system? or would i be wasting my money
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:17 am

Unless you are going for lots of power, the OEM system should be sufficient.

Why is your manifold leaking? They usually do not leak unless they are cracked. Cracking one is unusual. You may just need new gaskets. The silicone at the front and back are the only troublesome issues when reinstalling the manifold, but they do not affect leakage of air, just oil. A used junk yard manifold is cheap, if yours is damaged. The TBI manifolds are all the same for the 305, and 350s.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:08 am

its leaking ar the front on the drivers side
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:55 am

That is probably the gasket. or a loose/missing bolt, unless there is a specific crack, or hole. Besides replacing the gaskets, and reinstalling the one you have, you could get a used one, and replace yours. The rear bolts on the driver's side are behind the engine lift ring, and difficult to torque, but other than that it is not too difficult. Have a friend help position it when installng, because you are reaching out pretty far, and your arms will tire quickly. Make sure you have a clear path to drop it in place. The peripheral parts tend to encroach on the space when not properly restrained.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:46 pm

A squirt bottle with water will help you pinpoint the vacuum leak. It's harmless.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Put a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in the water to releave surface tension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: intake manifold question   intake manifold question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

intake manifold question
Page 1 of 1