GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air Conditioning not creating water discharge

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Empty
PostSubject: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 am

Need some advice here. I was going to do the silicone of the a/ c discharge elbow at the firewall today. I wanted to check the water coming out first so I ran the a/c and no water came out the overflow tube. I ran the a/c at 60 degrees while it was 85 degrees out today. I ran it for 30 minutes and no water! I drove it around taking hills up and down to see if it would make a difference - nothing. I had already pulled the carpet back and was expecting the worse that water would have come inside but it is bone dry.

So how is this possible? Wher is the water going? The ground beneath the car was dry too so not coming out anywhere else.

The a/c Bo owe cold so nothing odd with operation there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:04 am

You would get very little water if it wasn't humid out, but you would definitely get something. Check to see if the drain is clogged like mine was. Poke a screw driver in there, the heater core and evaporator are up above the drain so no worries about damaging them.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 am

Is the passenger side front or rear carpet wet? That is where the water went on mine.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 am

I recently took my pan off, and found a bunch of leaves in the channel between the two sections of the pan. There is a divider at the front beside the drain hole that makes an extremely narrow channel from the left pan to the right one. On one car it was totally blocked with debris, and on the other it was deformed. I straightened the deformed one with some careful heating from a Harbor Freight $10 heat gun. The other tray has some additional issues, and I am going to the junk yard to find a replacement. There is more than one style of pan. The 91s seem to be shorter at the firewall area, but there may be other differences. If you have to find a replacement, take you old one with you for comparison.

Silicone on the outlet tube will not make a difference if the elbow is there. The culprit for leaks is the pan gasket. I filled the channel level to the top with silicone sealer, and reassembled it. My leak has stopped. I also put a ring of silicone around the screw hole for the front left screw to make sure it sealed against the post.

To get the hidden screw out, I used a "battery ratchet" that fits the screwdriver bit, a short screwdriver to 1/4 inch socket adapter, and a long 7mm socket. You have to pull the rubber/foam insulation away from the firewall, and it will fit. I also used an open end wrench on the left front screw to remove it, because you can not get a socket on it.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I have no water on the floor pans so I am baffled where the water is going. I tried the coat hanger in the overflow at the engine firewall yesterday but will do again today a little deeper now that I read I will not be poking and damaging anything by doing so.

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Dude, you live in Nevada where the humidity is usually under 10%. There is no moisture in the air to condense...I'm being serious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm

DUH!
JG
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:57 pm

I did not notice you were from NV...You can pour water in the cowl intake for the AC, and you will see it run out of the tube. If you pour enough in, it may even spill out on the floor, if it does not evaporate first.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I am up in Seattle right now working on the wagon. I should definitely have some water discharge. My buddy's cars all weep with the A/C on up here.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Sometimes it does not discharge water. If the channel between the two pans is clogged, it may just sit in the left chamber, and eventually evaporate, or come out so slowly, that it does not puddle. Try going around a sharp left turn when pulling into a parking space, and see if you leave a tail of water on the right side of the car.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Wagoninabox wrote:
I am up in Seattle right now working on the wagon. I should definitely have some water discharge. My buddy's cars all weep with the A/C on up here.

Yeah you should see some water then....

If the floors are dry and it's running right, I wouldn't bother about it too much.....probably alot of other odds and ends to keep you busy on the car.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: ***Update***   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 10:22 pm

So, I finally got water discharging out of the overflow tube! A hundred miles into the 700 mile trip, I stoped and the water was coming out just fine and none on the interior. The A/C worked like a champ. I got back in and drove off and about 5 miles of driving, I heard a noise and the A/C died! I pulled over and the compressor was not dragging and no other noises.

Just ticks me off. Had the A/C charged right before this trip. Now I have to bring it to a mechanic during my time off as I need the air working in 93 plus degree heat.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

What do you mean "the compressor was not dragging"? Did the clutch quit? Did the fuse blow? What noise did you hear?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 am

Fred:

I heard a ka-clink sound like something flew off under the hood. I pulled over and there were no more noises . The last compressor that went out on me froze up so it just started screaming as the belt turned on it (dodge diplomat). Found out that it was indeed the compressor that went out. I had checked the dash and engine fuses when I first pulled over. Had a Delco unit put on that the dealer will back with a lifetime warranty (my lifetime). Drove it completely around Lake Tahoe the day I got it back and it was the best air it has ever blown.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:04 pm

And is there water dripping out of the AC with the new compressor?If so can we please put this
subject to rest?
JG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning not creating water discharge   Air Conditioning not creating water discharge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning not creating water discharge
Page 1 of 1