GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New from Massachusetts

Go down 
+3
1993 Roady-man
BigBlackBeaSSt
chapel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

New from Massachusetts Empty
PostSubject: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am

Hello.

My name is Jared. I'm from Beverly. I'm 30... I drive a 1995 Audi S6/RS2 Sedan

I come from a Muscle Car family.
My mother had a 69 GTO 400 RA3 4speed and when I was about 5, my mother bought a 1986 Caprice Classic Wagon (white with wood on blue) which she promptly delivered to her mechanic who removed the stock 5.0 V8 and jammed in a Pontiac 400 with a 4bbl Holley and a 700R4

Over the years I've avoided jumping into American cars as my first car was a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am.... and it was garbage.

I've owned BMWs, Audis, VWs, Subarus, Saabs, Mitsubishis, etc... I've worked for Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, BMW and Acura as an IT guy over the years... but recently, my dad's been taking care of a friend's 1966 Corvette 327/350, and after driving that, I finally realized that I REALLY want that V8.

So, I've been browsing the forums and classifieds and craigslist for an adequate car to buy. I'd really like to get a 94-95 wagon

I'm also looking to sell my current 1995 Audi S6

I am NOT some Volkswagen/Audi hipster/scenester douchebag looking to buy one of these to rat rod it out... I'm looking for a fun wagon to enjoy with my family, go camping, go on road trips, tailgate in the 'wayback'... and maybe put a loud exhaust on it and do brake stands... Wink

I've always been a wagon guy, despite only owning one myself.

When I've been here longer, I can share the links with my Battle Wagon site and a link to my current car for sale.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Finally smartened up..... Shocked Welcome.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 1:19 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Finally smartened up..... Shocked Welcome.
Thanks

It all started again when my dad's friend let him borrow her 66 Corvette...
after hearing the noise of that thing and feeling the torque at such a low RPM, I knew that's what I wanted.

also, getting sick of fixing german cars. Pushrods V8s are so easy.

I avoided it when I was just getting my license because most of the V8 guys near me were kinda meatheads or old men...
now, not so much. The Import guys are kinda jerky and uptight... and I don't really have time or patience for that kind of attitude now

I prefer the laid back approach of the domestic scene out here.

Plus, after my mom passed away in a MVA in 09, the V8 bug bit me real hard... My eventual goal is to get a 69 GTO like hers before my dad dies. Luckily he's only 61... so I got a few years. It was a goal I had back when my mom was alive, and after she died I decided that I still need to do it.

I think getting a V8 Wagon is my first step towards that goal. I have very fond memories growing up in that 86 Caprice with my mom and dad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:12 pm

You have youth on your side,now lose the audi and get your wagon.Sorry about your moms
passing and welcome to the gang.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:39 pm

I remember vaguely a brown Malibu wagon in our family prior to our Caprice too. So that would have put a wagon in our family around 1979 or 1980 which would have put my mom and dad at my age (well, my mom would have been 27-28 and my dad 29-30)

history repeats itself... except I'm buying an old one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Still wondering how you ended up in an audi.Sounds like your parents are muscle car fans and
owners along with their friends.No matter you are where you are meant to be.Audi builds some
incredible cars and their interiors are the absolute best period.The quattro technology is amazing
but only necessary in northern parts of the country.Could talk forever about todays cars but
wont.There are a bunch of wagon fans up where you are living so find a nice wagon from Texas
and have some real fun.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Still wondering how you ended up in an audi.Sounds like your parents are muscle car fans and
owners along with their friends.No matter you are where you are meant to be.Audi builds some
incredible cars and their interiors are the absolute best period.The quattro technology is amazing
but only necessary in northern parts of the country.Could talk forever about todays cars but
wont.There are a bunch of wagon fans up where you are living so find a nice wagon from Texas
and have some real fun.
Jim Gordon

well, my parents WERE muscle car fans when I was younger... then they bought a Jeep Cherokee in 1990... and from there they were a Jeep family...
My first car was a TERRIBLE Pontiac Grand Am SE which put a bad taste i my mouth (especially when the headgasket blew and it cost me $1500 to repair...)

I got into VWs when I was just getting my license. My friend had a Corrado G60 and it was all done up for the time (this is around 1997). It made like 220bhp and had a bigger supercharger, bigger cam, etc... That engine is still in my family of friends (currently in a Rabbit actually)
Another friend bought a VW Fox which we beat the tar out of... and we loved that. Then nearly every one of my friends bought Corrados (G60s and VR6s) and GTIs... so I sorta followed suit with my first GTI (an 83). After failing to get that on the road (and losing my job) I sold it. Later, I got a 1988 BMW 325iS. I loved this car. Still one of my favorite cars I've owned. I drove the balls off it and it only cost me about $250 in maintenance. I also helped rewrite the manual on the E30s with Bentley Publishing.
I sold that for a Saab 9-5 Aero (big mistake) which I then traded for my first Battle Wagon - a 2001 Subaru WRX.
I poured a LOT of time and money into that car. bigger turbo, intercooler, JDM STI intake manifold, Rallyspec transmission, suspension, JDM interior, 3" turbo back exhaust (but was quiet and not ricey)
I sold that so I could save up for a house. Bought a 1992 GTI that was in pristine condition. Yanked the crappy 90hp 1.8l out and stuffed a modern OBD2 2.0L 8V which eventually made about 130bhp after I stuck some fat cams in it, lightweight lifters, ported head and intake manifold and a few other things...
I sold THAT after my wife got pregnant for this current Audi... which I've again poured a **** load of money into.
went from a mostly stock (ECU chip only) car to a full RS2 powered car (turbo, injectors, exhaust manifold, software, wastegate spring), Corvette LS7 ignition coils and Porsche 993 Twin Turbo brakes up front. Runs at about 30psi. makes about 280whp and 305wtq. Unfortunately I bought a used turbo that blew up the minute I installed it... which put me in a predicament... I sent the turbo out for rebuild, but it took 6 months to get it back (it was done for free as a favor). During that time I realized I can live without a car... at least such a pricey one. Right now it's solid and reliable, but I just don't really NEED it. So that is currently for sale.

Since I got the Audi in February of 2009, I've barely logged 10k miles.
Hoping to get $7000 for it so I can bury $2000 into a wagon, a couple of bucks into a nice exhaust and then take the rest of the money and fix up my house.

So, that's how I got to where I am now. Mainly 'peer pressure' or trying to fit in with my friends (who all own Audis and VWs)...
But now I've finally gotten tired of it and I want a big V8 station wagon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Well like I said,find a nice texas wagon and then start all over again.My nephew is your age and
went thru Maxda rotaries like crazy.He came to his senses and bought a Peter Ferrell 95 RX-7
and dropped a LS2 vette moter in it.He use to own the street class at VIR (Virginia International Raceway).He got married and is settling down a little too.The reason I say texas wagon is they
have absolutely no rust compared to the average wagons in MA.
JG
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Why do they all seem to rust so bad? Im not used to seeing cars rust this poorly... they seem to rust almost as bad as 80s Nissans.

As fun as it would be to buy a southern car and drive it up north, that would probably be well over my $2000 budget to fly down south and drive it back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

We have a secret weapon for that problem and his name is Mike and he goes by 81X11.When you
are ready ,let him know and he will surprise you with what he can find and the prices you pay.
JG
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:08 pm

what exactly does he do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:14 pm

He is an awesome guy who loves these wagons and wants to see them go to good homes.He
can find the deals like nobody else I have ever met.You will understand after a while what I am
talking about.
Gotta Go Jared
JG
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Mike can hook you up with virgin steel, pure rust free cars in his neck of the hoods. That is what he can do for you. And Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Jarrod thats what I was trying to say,thanks.When you are ready tell him what you want and get out of the way.Just be ready to move when he finds it.If he dont like it then you dont want it.
You will read the same thing about Mike from everybody here.
JG
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:26 pm

oh, great. thanks
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Chapel??

Jesus loves you,..

but i,m his favourite,.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 pm

And the official welcoming committee has arrived,whats up Nick?Actually I have a question Nick,
after watching some videos from the SS forum I noticed something.How many times did you
"gently graze" the tire wall at track?The reason I am asking is the video shows some damage to
the LR of your car and then you HIT the tire barrier?Dont know if I could keep my foot in it as
deep into the corner as you did.Thought for a second you were doing a drifting video but with
all the tire squealing it sounded like sheep feeding time at Daves.
Awesome driving by the way!
JG
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
And the official welcoming committee has arrived,whats up Nick?Actually I have a question Nick,
after watching some videos from the SS forum I noticed something.How many times did you
"gently graze" the tire wall at track?The reason I am asking is the video shows some damage to
the LR of your car and then you HIT the tire barrier?Dont know if I could keep my foot in it as
deep into the corner as you did.Thought for a second you were doing a drifting video but with
all the tire squealing it sounded like sheep feeding time at Daves.
Awesome driving by the way!
JG

^^^^^Link to said videos?????

Oh btw, Chapel, you seem like an obtuse bird for some reason......Smile
There are other southern states with low/no rust wagons (like FL).
The best part of owning a big ole V8 wagon, is it'll probably be as quick as a few of those pricey imports you friends drive.
They may not want to talk to you after you smoke 'em at a light.....hee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMIb2CvK6e0&feature=player_profilepage
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Man you a day you miss a lot.... Welcome to the forum Jared. I like your Avatar....reminds me of Ziggy, the mascot for my goofy old 99 Caddy Catera. I won't fault you the Audi, my brother had a Jetta GLX VR6 with the 5-spd and it was a ball to drive.

And thanks for all the comments gang. I love to hunt for toys! And you're almost always better off getting a rust-free car. Paint fades and interiors go bad, but I know that interiors stuff can be found up north and paint can be done anywhere.

Again welcome to the group!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 6:58 pm

That's exactly what my avatar is.
I thought it was appropriate. I didn't want to put my normal avatar up.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I cant wait to sell my S6.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Welcome aboard! sounds like quite a history you have with cars, good luck in your search for a B-Body!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:54 pm

thanks.
I can say through my years with imports, I've always read the domestic rags (like Popular Hot Rodding, Car Craft, etc...) to find ideas for my own cars.
That's why my Audi has Corvette LS7 ignition coils Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 pm

New from Massachusetts 307042_10150277515961984_523876983_7903770_2704706_n

and here's a photo of me, my dad and my son with the Stanley Cup! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you'll also find that I'm a die hard hockey fan... and while I am a Bruins fan, I do enjoy MANY of the teams (Winnipeg, Toronto, Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver, and previously the NorthStars and Whalers)

I was a big fan of Eddie Belfour. which is why I liked the Blackhawks, Leafs and Stars (despite him never playing for them when they were in Minnesota)

and the Whalers I just liked because they were semi-local underdogs and they had the best goal song in sports history (brass bonanza)

I also played for years and was a ref for years as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Great pic of 3 generations altogether to see the cup.
JG
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of wagons!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 pm

just picked this up
New from Massachusetts IMG_20110911_111120
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:27 am

chapel wrote:
just picked this up
New from Massachusetts IMG_20110911_111120

Paulies northcarolina wb4,. Nice! congrats.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 am

Very nice find. Now get ur arse to Virginia on the 22nd, to show her off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 am

Good looking wagon!Now its official,you are a wagon nut.
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 am

VERY NICE! Great color and love the wood-delete. Smooth looking! Keep the pics coming!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:21 am

Hoping to clean it up this weekend and put a proper radio in.

I'm pretty excited. My wife actually likes it

She wants to put those little stick figure families on the back side window... but like as Kill Marks... Very Happy

we're definitely gonna have fun with it. My wife never talks about my cars with me, but all this weekend we were discussing fun things to do with it.
On the way home from getting it, we went to Ikea and loaded it with a new kitchen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 am

Ahaha....the trip to Ikea was a smart move!!
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:25 am

now I need to find this:
New from Massachusetts Rossperot1996
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from Massachusetts   New from Massachusetts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New from Massachusetts
Page 1 of 1