GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A better Opti?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I noticed there are a few aftermarket upgrades for the Optispark.
Accel and MSD being the two big ones I saw... do these units resolve the problematic Optispark issues or no?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm

chapel wrote:
Accel and MSD being the two big ones I saw... do these units resolve the problematic Optispark issues or no?

The opti spark is an interesting debate,. there are those that have you believe the opti is the root of all evil,.and will die at the first sign of glycol,. yet with a proper functioning vent line,. and clean connectors,. the opti works just fine,.
often the opti is misdiagnosed as the problem and is changed along with the real culprits ..spark plug wires. A good upgrade is to change the coil itself and use an aftermarket msd one.
jmo

Nick
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 8:59 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
chapel wrote:

The opti spark is an interesting debate,. there are those that have you believe the opti is the root of all evil,.and will die at the first sign of glycol,. yet with a proper functioning vent line,. and clean connectors,. the opti works just fine,.
often the opti is misdiagnosed as the problem and is changed along with the real culprits ..spark plug wires. A good upgrade is to change the coil itself and use an aftermarket msd one.
jmo

Nick

I agree 100%

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 pm

So, is there any particular reason to use an aftermarket Opti? Does the extra price pay for any real benefit?

otherwise, you think a stock-type Opti (any aftermarket brands to avoid?) properly installed with a good coil and good wires will do it?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 am

If it works, it works. Take it apart and loctite the two rotor screws, then make sure the contacts are clean, the 4-pin harness connectors are tight, and the whole thing holds a little vacuum and you're all set. Spend good money on plug wires like Nick said. I wrap all of my LT1 plug wires in plastic loom to keep them from touching each other or anything else and that seems to work fine.

Otherwise, what Nick said.

There are drag-racers on the Impala forum which have run non-ACDelco regular optis to 7200rpm no problems. That's good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:32 am

I run the MSD on my Impala just because I got a great deal on it. The housing is billet aluminum which is impressive, but Joel and Nick are both correct.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A better Opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better Opti?   A better Opti? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A better Opti?
Page 1 of 1