GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My car Moaned today

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

My car Moaned today Empty
PostSubject: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm

This is the oddest thing. I was driving Grimace today and all of a sudden it made what I can only describe as a loud moan. My wife and daughter heard it too, so it was some wagon fetish fantasy thing.

Here's the odd part, right after it made this noise the temperature went up over 225 (normally around 190). My first thought was it was homemade hose fitting (copper pipe with 4 hose clamps on it). I was on a stretch of road and had to go about another mile to the next turn off.
I watched the temp climb as it was already over 200 when I saw it. I figured the connection gave out and the was the moan.....I was wrong.

The temp topped out around 230, then started to subside. I figured it was air cooling from going about 45 MPH. I came up to the light (just missed it of course) and the gas station was on the other side. While at the light the temp kept dropping (not at all what I expected). Long light and the temp settled back to 190 by the time it turned green (radiator doing it's thing). Pulled in the gas station and sat idling for 4-5 min waiting for a pump and it was fine (popped the hood and no leaks at all).

I have NO idea WTH the noise was, why the temp shot up, but now I'm thinking this may have happened a few weeks ago and that's why the metal piping at the heater control valve started to leak while I was out of town.....

Any ideas? A blockage that frees itself? Thermostat failing?

I had driven the car 25 miles to a relatives, parked it for about 2 hours and this happened 5 minutes after we left there. Drove it home, then turned around and dropped another 55 miles half hour later. Not a hiccup, didn't even lose oil pressure today either.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 pm

tstat,. moans when it lets boiling water back to the rad,.boiling water meets cooler water it settles down,.motor gets a dose of coller water thru it,.it cools off,. takes a whileas the water coming in is being boiled till it starts cooling stuff off. moaning is the steam getting by the stat,.

not good.

change the stat
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks Nick, I was thinking that might be it.

So it's just a bad stat then? Stayed closed till the water boiled?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:49 am

Sprocket wrote:

If there are no further side effects,. the usual stuff,. pressurizing,. exhaust steam etc,.

buy fail safe stat, always good insurance, it,s easier to deal with too coool temps than too hot temps,
a fail safe will always let you carry on.
fill the motor to the stat level,button it up then fill the top half,.
was there any burnt rubber smell after? a/c alternator all quiet?

nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:37 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

If there are no further side effects,. the usual stuff,. pressurizing,. exhaust steam etc,.

buy fail safe stat, always good insurance, it,s easier to deal with too coool temps than too hot temps,
a fail safe will always let you carry on.
fill the motor to the stat level,button it up then fill the top half,.
was there any burnt rubber smell after? a/c alternator all quiet?

nick

Everything else seems good, no smells or strange noises, new Tsat on deck for after work todya
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm

just sheared off one of the bolts in the intake.......yaaay.
So much for the 15 minute repair. I'm pretty annoyed, going to have to drill it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My car Moaned today   My car Moaned today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My car Moaned today
Page 1 of 1