GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel line quick connects.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Deadmanonduty

Fuel line quick connects. Empty
PostSubject: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:32 pm

I can't seem to get these quick couplers released to install my fuel rail covers. I have the metal tool and its just not coming apart.
Any suggestions?
I didn't relieve the fuel pressure, so I'm wondering if this is fighting me?

Service manual shows using tools that i don't have to relieve the fuel pressure, so thats why I didn't do it. I suppose I could drop the fuel filter and run it til it stalls.......
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Unplug the 3-prong harness behind the fuel tank, then start the car and run it until it dies. That will disable the fuel pump and relieve pressure.

On the fuel lines - you must also push the two fuel lines together to release pressure on the tangs before they will disengage. You can't just push that tool in there. Put the tool in place, push the lines together, then push the tool in again, and you should be able to get it apart.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 pm

what i do is put a rag over the schrader, use a pointy something and press down the plunger,.it,s just like the valve in a car tire,. if the car has sat for a while it barely gives off a little squirt,.um,. don't be puffing on a cigarette while you do it tho,.
the tools for disconnecting fuel lines are usually plastic round doo hickey thingys,. push the fuel line on as you are pulling the tool up the line towards you into the space, while jiggling the line in and out a little bit rotate the tool to pop off the tangs holding it on,.

WFM
YRMV
NWEOI
PDCC
nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

I released the pressure at the shrader valve like Nick said when I did mine. Went to Harbour Freight and bought a package of plastic quick connect removers. They're like plastic rings that clip in the hose and then you slide then into the connection and it compresses the spring in there. Still took a little fiddling to break it loose, and some gas did come out, but not a ton.

Are you reading the forum post on how to install those. If you would, add to that as you do this job. People always have 20-questions about this project.

Still my 2nd favorite mod, after the Impala wheels.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Here's the full write-up: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Ok thanks guys.
I printed about 5 pages of stuff on the fuel rail covers from the other site, and saved a pile of pictures for references. I already have them somewhat ready, but need to move the fuel lines first.
I'm waiting a few days to finish this project as my wrists have major tendonitis in them and are really weak, so I "think" that is my biggest problem at this point! Being in wrist braces (both wrists) doesn't help either! lol I think I need to muscle them a bit more with the tool after I relieve the fuel pressure. Thanks for all the advice! Smile

I have the metal tool from autozone and I did push in on them, so I'll keep trying after my wrists heal more!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Make sure you unplug the injector wires....don't try to force them or thec wires will come out. Just keep track of where each one goes, because when you stretch the wiring harness and squash it down next to the valve cover, the wires will have moved.

Also make sure you take note of where all the rubber lines go. Because of OBD-II, the 96 models have some additional hoses...and I reversed two of them, got a CE light, and it took two mechanic friends and three weeks to figure out what I did.

Good luck! It's worth it when you're done!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I unplugged a couple injectors today, but did them 1 at a time so I couldn't mess wires up. They are really easy to unhook, BUT it sucks ballz when you drop the metal clip behind the engine when it flies off! lol

The only thing scaring me now is that guys are saying vacuum lines need to be extended.....hadn't read that before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel line quick connects.   Fuel line quick connects. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel line quick connects.
Page 1 of 1