GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

in line electric fuel pump?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cadillac kevin

in line electric fuel pump? Empty
PostSubject: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 am

does anyone have experience with in line electric fuel pumps? I found out my engine does not have the rod needed to drive the mechanical fuel pump, and I'd have to tear down the front of the motor to install one. I figure an in line electric pump would be a cheaper alternative than having to pay my mechanic to disassemble the front of the motor to attach the fuel pump rod, but am unsure what to get as far as a brand, pressure, and whether or not I need a regulator.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am

It would have to be mounted right next to the tank, to insure that it doesn't cavitate,
and starve the engine of gas. At least, that was the word on older electrics.
Don't try to use a pump that is made for immersion in the tank for the job.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

I ran one on my Regal. I mounted it on the frame right in front of the right rear tire. As for needing a regulator it would depend on the pump pressure, mine was 14psi so I had to use a regulator since carbs really don't like over 6psi. Mounting as close to the tank isn't quite as important as getting it as low as possible preferably lower than the tank.

I put over 80k on it with no problems and it was my play car. I took it to the track like 3 times a week. It was a legitimate 11 second street car.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm

What brand pump did you have?
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

I don't remember for sure but think it was a Holley Black. But could of been another brand since I remember some people had told me that the Holley was not the best quality and I might have gone with the Mallory. Both had similar specs I just can't remember since it was over 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: in line electric fuel pump?   in line electric fuel pump? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in line electric fuel pump?
Page 1 of 1