GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Deadmanonduty

Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Empty
PostSubject: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:53 pm

My 95 Caprice Wagon has had a loud wind whistle from the drivers side door around the area of the mirror, so I took a close look today and this is what I found........... My weatherstrip seems to be missing something, or installed wrong, etc....you guys are the experts, so share your opinions on what my issue is here. Obviousely its not sealing..... Smile

Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   IMAG0629
Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   IMAG0628
Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   IMAG0630

This pic is from below the mirror looking in and up.
Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   IMAG0633

Last edited by Deadmanonduty on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:58 pm

For background.......I bought this car from a former member of impalassforum, and he took it all apart and never finished the project. I took all his parts and figured out what was what and installed them to the best of my ability. I could have easily installed something wrong, or even forgotten something. I didn't take it apart, so that made it harder to put back together. I used my 96 RMW as a guide, so when I had questions I went and looked at that car for a pattern! Feel free to critique my work, as I just want to get this issue resolved and end my wind noise issues. The weatherseals were all still on the car I think, so those were not removed. I had the mirrors painted and reinstalled them and had trouble with that triangle trim piece. I fought with that for a long time.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I remember the West Virginia wagon. Was for sale for a long time at a very low price with 0 takers. Glad to see it back on the road.

Over time the rubber seal dries and shrinks. Lots of people have this same problem, sadly.

How does the other (door) weatherstripping look? I solved my wind noise problem by installing a new door opening piece.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Looks like the vertical piece needs to be worked around and down into the lower piece. It appears to have a little buckle in it right above the mirror.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:13 pm

yes, this is the West Virginia Wagon from Rick! Smile Bought it real cheap, and its got a lot of great upgrades done! Smile Heres a quick pic of car for you now!
Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   IMG_0454

The passenger side looks similiar, but its not as large of a gap in the weatherseal like the drivers side is. The passenger side is "quiet".

I'm sure I can massage it around some if I take the mirror off.

Any tips on removing and reinstalling that triangle chrome/stainless trim around the mirror? I had lots of trouble with it when I assembled the car.

Thanks guys!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Thats a good looking wagon deadman and a great place to start the mods!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 am

94Woody wrote:
I remember the West Virginia wagon. Was for sale for a long time at a very low price with 0 takers. Glad to see it back on the road.

Over time the rubber seal dries and shrinks. Lots of people have this same problem, sadly.

How does the other (door) weatherstripping look? I solved my wind noise problem by installing a new door opening piece.

I hate when I get shrinkage but it's nice to know other people have the same problem, don't feel so lonely now, it is sad. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

My '92 OCC is the same way but has a bigger gap on the passenger's side. X2 on rubber shrinkage and the also the window pressure on it, you can see how the window works the seal up and back over time, the pointy tip of the seal is leaning back by the B pillar on mine on both sides too.
They should have made that front piece of the glass run channel front lower end longer and have more of a recess for it to compensate for shrinkage and had a fastener in that corner to keep it in place because you know that's going to happen eventually, a lot of older cars did it that way.

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Thats a good looking wagon deadman and a great place to start the mods!
Jim

START the mods? lol There was a pile of them done when I bought it, and I'm slowly but surely adding my touches as I find time when I'm NOT driving it! Smile I've already added, Street Trends lights, tint, Pypes X pipe, Dynomax VT's, Tune, air pump delete. Now I have to find time to finish my Fuel rail covers, electric fan conversion, etc....... I just need a cheap set of SS wheels now to really make her great! I should make a "build thread" on here, as I have a bunch of pics of it in progress.......

Back to my weatherstrip. Should I pull the mirror this winter and try to massage that gasket down some? I'm not taking car apart yet, as I will park it for the "Salt Season" soon! Sad

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Correction,continue the mods!Still a great looking wagon.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:50 pm

I have a pair of like new run channels. I would like $120 shipped for them.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 am

What exactly is the run channel?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am

That is the part the original poster took pictures of. It is the rubber channel that the window runs in. The driver's side is still available new for about $100, but the passenger's side is not available. I have a set for the caprice, another for the roadmaster with the chrome strip at the back of the window, and a set for a fleetwood. All of them are in like new condition and have no shrinkage. I will sell any set for $120 shipped.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:20 am

I'd prefer to buy these from you, but in your opinion are the new ones going to be better? (I know you are 100% honest, so I value your opinion greatly!)
I plan on keeping the car for many years, so I want whatever is best for the long haul!
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 am

If you want new, the driver's side is available from Hamilton Chevrolet on the ISSF. The passenger side is not available. I believe the used ones that are like new may be a good bet, because they are old, and did not shrink. The rubber may be "better" in the ones that did not shrink. I do not know, but it is my logical deduction. I do not know how long they will last, but I have replaced my driver's side with a new one before I found the good used ones. I replaced the passenger's side with a good used one. I would have replaced both with used ones if I had not bought the new one. I have a pair for the White Elephant, but have not taken the time to replace them. You can replace them without removing the door panel, but it is easier to pull the panel and disconnect the ball studs to get the window out of the channel. You do not have to take the window out of the door, it is just a lot easier to put the channel in the rear of the door without the window in place.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 11:54 am

I'll take the good used pair from you. Again its 95 Caprice wagon of course.

Let me know shipped price and paypal. I'll be gone for like 5 days starting tomorrow, so if you don't hear from me for a few days don't think I backed out! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I prefer a money order because of the paypal rule on 1099s after haveing 200 transactions.
$120 for both sides is the price stated above.

My address is:
Fred Kiehl
14130 Rosemary Ln.
Apt. 6112
Largo, FL 33774
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm

ok thanks.
I'll get the Money order out after I get back from my trip. Should hit the mail on Tuesday, but if I have time tomorrow am, I'll get it in the mail to you quick.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.    Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weatherstrip question around drivers side mirror.
Page 1 of 1