GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Fuel System Hates Me...

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

My Fuel System Hates Me... Empty
PostSubject: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm

So in my quest to solve my no spark/no fuel issue I replaced the fuel pump. Well, it turns out it wasn't the pump. But, while putting the sending unit back in I must have inadvertently damaged the resistor that measures the tank level as the needle jumps all over the place now. It settled on 1/2 full and I have about 3/4 in the tank.

So I need to drop the tank AGAIN (3rd time's a charm right?), swap out the sending unit. May even go and put that Delco pump in too. I'm also going to do what Dave suggested and use the high pressure hose to safeguard against a blown hose. What size hose should I get that is as close to stock size as possible?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Hope all the info on your wagon applys to my 91OCC because I want to replace all of that stuff
shortly.Only has 71000 miles but all that stuff is original and 20 years old.Thanks ahead of time
hopefully for all the information.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 am

Cadet57: The float arm may have just slipped out of its clip, or the clip may be cracked. Check the hose size on the new pump. Use a hose that is good submerged in gas. One that is alcohol resistant would be advisable too, because the fuel has alcohol in it. For the most part, the alcohol is what deteriorates the hose.

Flash: you probably do not have to replace the parts in your tank, The hose between the pump and the outlet tube is the only part that deteriorates appreciably, and should be replaced. If the gauge works normally, you should not mess with it. I would run it until it actually has a problem. The symptoms have been discussed ad nausium here, and you should be able to diagnose any issues that appear.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 pm

You can tweak the little copper sweep arm that touches the resistor to increase the pressure and make better contact. First, I used fine girt emery cloth( 1000 grit or higher) on both to remove the corrosion before re-assembly, As an afterthought, a pencil eraser would have worked as well.

It helped. You can dial it in after ward with a resistor from Radio shack if necessary. there's a few threads about that around here.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Cadet57: The float arm may have just slipped out of its clip, or the clip may be cracked. Check the hose size on the new pump. Use a hose that is good submerged in gas.

No kidding. That's why I asked WHAT SIZE. I could have figured out holding it up to the pump....

lakeffect wrote:
You can tweak the little copper sweep arm that touches the resistor to increase the pressure and make better contact. First, I used fine girt emery cloth( 1000 grit or higher) on both to remove the corrosion before re-assembly, As an afterthought, a pencil eraser would have worked as well.

It helped. You can dial it in after ward with a resistor from Radio shack if necessary. there's a few threads about that around here.

I can't solder to save my life. And this sending unit is still under warranty so i'd rather just put in a new one instead of me trying to fix it.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Heres something that may be handy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:39 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
Heres something that may be handy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

.... I know HOW to refurbish it. I just can't solder and as i've said 2x now the broken one is under warranty. Hence, free to replace.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 pm

WOW - Ok didnt see your post previous to me posting mine - my bad
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Chill Justin everyone is trying to help you here.You're young and frustrated with your wagon which
is understandable,I would be pissed too.Dont take out your frustration on those trying to help
you.Now BEHAVE and play nice!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Chill Justin everyone is trying to help you here.You're young and frustrated with your wagon which
is understandable,I would be pissed too.Dont take out your frustration on those trying to help
you.Now BEHAVE and play nice!
Jim

I'm fine. I just hate posts that give me the same info I already know. And I have to repeat myself multiple times. Or just read like someone never actually read the first post. Or post things that don't help at all like "buy a size that matches the fuel pump" Like I could have never guessed that on my own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Wait about 30 years and see how often you repeat yourself!
Wait ab nevermind
Jim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Wait about 30 years and see how often you repeat yourself!
Wait ab nevermind
Jim

What were we talking about now?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Don't upgrade the hose - just leave what's in there.

On a side note, it's interesting to see that someone swiped all of my photos and text, rewrote it with misspellings and then posted it unattributed. Swell guy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 pm

WAIT,I know it was about an instrument cluster and nevermind!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:17 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Don't upgrade the hose - just leave what's in there.

The stock hose is good you think then? Cool. One less thing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:41 pm

I don't get all the drama about dropping the tank. It's not that big of a deal, especially if you've already just done it recently.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Bewber wrote:
I don't get all the drama about dropping the tank. It's not that big of a deal, especially if you've already just done it recently.

You're right, its not a big deal. Its only 4 bolts. I just get lucky every time and have a full tank of gas every. single. time. And I can never siphon more than 6-8 gallons out. Laughing I fail at the fuel tank game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Wow you suck at sodering and siphoning!I think there may be something wrong with your mouth/
lips or something like that! Laughing
Jim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Wow you suck at sodering and siphoning!I think there may be something wrong with your mouth/
lips or something like that! Laughing
Jim

I blame the cheapy $3.99 hand pump I got at harbor freight. As for soldering, I've never been able to master it without managing to burn some part of my body or dripping melted solder everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 pm

You obviously did not take note of my post, and I hate to repeat myself too. The float arm may have slipped out of the clip that holds it. There may be nothing wrong with your sender. Look at it before you take it back, it could be a simple fix. It is easy to knock the float arm out of the clip when installing the unit.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Like I tell everyone who has to drop their tank, while it's out, spend $4.00 to put a transmission pan /oil pan drain plug in it. Hopefully, you'll never have to pull it again, but if you do, then it won't matter if it's full, as it can be drained.

Best of all... no soldering.

Personally , for what little fuel line hose will run, put in a new fuel resistant piece that is reinforced. About one foot curled in a loop is all you need. That thin hose that is supplied bursts very easily. Been in my tank three times within weeks of each event.

I also used the metal screw on clamps, like tiny radiator clamps. I've had bad luck with those little plastic crimp on clamps.

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Justin there is nothing hard about sodering as long as you follow the "Golden Rule".Never,under
any circumstance no matter what ever soder NAKED!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Fuel System Hates Me...   My Fuel System Hates Me... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Fuel System Hates Me...
Page 1 of 1