GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
Nick Danger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Empty
PostSubject: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm

But I get 20 psi when the engine is running. The car still drives, it just stalls occasionally.

We're going on vacation in a few days. So is replacing the fuel pump a job I can do in a day?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I've read these threads.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't think I have the time for recalibrating the fuel sender. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:42 pm

I've done it twice, it is not that bad of a job. You should be able to do it in an afternoon. The fuel pump has given you fair warning, don't take it on your vacation or you will be sorry.

I went out to start my RMW about an hour ago, and she balked, cranked but did not catch. They have a tendency to quit without warning. I will test it this afternoon.

Tom C.

Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 2:58 pm

I have the parts. It's 1:00. I need to quit at 4:00 to clean up for my birthday party. I don't think I'll be done.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

It's past 4:00, and I have to quit. I just discovered that those hilarious guys at NAPA gave me the wrong fuel pump. It isn't tall enough for the outlet to plug into the hose.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
It's past 4:00, and I have to quit. I just discovered that those hilarious guys at NAPA gave me the wrong fuel pump. It isn't tall enough for the outlet to plug into the hose.

Nick D Quit for today and wish NAPA knew what they were doing when you blow out your candles. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
COL
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm

COL wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Nick D Quit for today and wish NAPA knew what they were doing when you blow out your candles. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
COL

Thank you. We had more than a dozen people at a Chinese restaurant. Everyone had fun. It's nice to know that all these people will come out to wish me a happy birthday.

Mrs Danger gave me an old science fiction magazine and a wooden sundial. Someone else gave me a gift certificate for a massage, which I will definitely use after the road trip to the Rocky Mountains. I gave the remains of the cake that Mrs Danger made to the staff.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Sounds like a great day.
Wrenching all day, then a party....

As much as we bitch when the car breaks, we still enjoy making them run again.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 am

happy birthday
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 am

Thank NAPA for your birthday present. Happy birthday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

Here's a late happy birthday and I hope your vacation is a blast!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Done. It took another six hours, including the trip to NAPA.

Whoever said that it was a pain to get the straps back in sure wasn't kidding.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 4:50 pm

The wrong pump was NAPA brand part # P74037. If NAPA tries to sell it to you, don't take it. It's too short.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Get the AC Delco brand next time. It only costs a few dollars more, and you will get the correct item the first time.

I loosened the front strap bolts, and only took the rear strap mounts down last time I swapped mine. The tank pulled out for removal, and I pushed the tank in while sliding it onto a board on a jack to replace it. I had to basically push it up hill. The straps stabilized the tank side to side and the jack lifted it. It still was not an easy job, but I got it all done in about 3 hours.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Hmm, first time it took me 3-4 hours. The 5th or 6th time (I lost count), one hour start to finish including pump swap. Practice boys! lmao.

Jack method works good when tank heavy with gas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Nick Danger wrote:

Really? I didn't think the straps were that bad....

Glad it's back up and running. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Get the AC Delco brand next time. It only costs a few dollars more, and you will get the correct item the first time.

I loosened the front strap bolts, and only took the rear strap mounts down last time I swapped mine. The tank pulled out for removal, and I pushed the tank in while sliding it onto a board on a jack to replace it. I had to basically push it up hill. The straps stabilized the tank side to side and the jack lifted it. It still was not an easy job, but I got it all done in about 3 hours.

I got the Delphi during the second trip. The price difference was $94 for NAPA to $130 for Delphi. Tha's about 40% more. Part of the cost difference is that the NAPA kit included the wiring harness. The Delphi didn't and that costs another $17.

The clerk felt bad about making me come back, so he sold me the Delphi pump at a discount, and didn't charge me for the wiring harness.

From when I first left for NAPA to when I finished putting away my tools, I think I put about 12 hours into the job.

Stingroo wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

Really? I didn't think the straps were that bad....

Glad it's back up and running. Smile

I think I bent the straps when I dropped the tank. We had to jack the tank, and put a second jack under the strap to get it within a half inch, and then pry the strap up until I could run the bolt through.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 pm

The experience you had with the reinstall of the straps is about normal. I think they are supposed to be started in the rear, and then take up the front bolts to tighten them. That is just a SWAG, but it would make sense if the straps are supposed to be tight. The rear bolts have no "give". The fronts are long and can be started with some slack in the straps.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 pm

I had the front bolts backed off about an inch. I didn't want to pull them out, because I was afraid that I'd never get them back in again.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 am

I can understand your logic. The bolts are about 2 inches long. Either way it is a struggle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on   No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No fuel pump sound, no fuel pressure at key-on
Page 1 of 1