GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Head Gasket Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Head Gasket Question Empty
PostSubject: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:53 pm

I appear to have blown a head gasket on my 400 block today.(I least I didn't blow a seal or .... never mind... you make your own joke) Pulled into the driveway after a 4 mile drive from work, and it was steaming badly. I was about to take Shammoo off the road within the next few weeks anyway.

So my question becomes about the best type of head gasket to use for the rebuild. Any suggestions from you guys?

Dave
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Cometic or Fel Pro. Is it just a Head Gasket or did the head crack?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Dave I remember that 400s had a headgasket sealing problem.Sure Nick has more knowledge
on the matter but it seemed to be about the coolant passages getting blocked off by using
the wrong gaskets.I also remember that there is a reverse coolant passages in the heads and
that I believe that FelPro makes a special 400 only gaskets.
Jim
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Jim is correct, and if i remeber correctlly you need to make sure the heads have the correct steam passages as well
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 am

400 blocks have siamesed cylinder walls that block coolant flow between them.

Do you know if your heads & gaskets have these passages?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If this is the first you've heard of them, that would be a clue as to why you’re having problems.

- J

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Instructions crack me up,"with the head upside down" like where else would you drill the holes?
Jim
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:00 pm

My wife doesn't refer to the position of my head as up side down. She uses a different reference point... or hole.

Guys yes I'm aware of the coolant holes vs gasket needs. I am told the more likely culprit may be the need to run a coolant line from the intake manifold above cyl's 4 & 8 to recirculate coolant better to the front again. Seems some manifolds don't allow good crossover or return from there and promotes hot spots.

A motor builder today said he'd take me under his wing to show me how to do it. Sounds like an invitation hard to refuse. Buy him lunch and a few beers for the tutoring lessons.

As always, I'm appreciative of those in my life willing to share hard earned knowledge with me.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 pm

On my 406 I ran two lines to the thermostat housing from my cylinder heads between the #4 & #6 and #3 & #5 cylinders right above where the egr ports are on a stock head. This was supposed to eliminate the need for the steam holes (even tho both the gasket and heads had them).
The only problems I ever had with mine was getting the head studs sealed. I tried Teflon (both liquid and tape) different types of rtv and even loctite. Never got them to stop leaking even tho it was just a drop now and then. And I trashed a block torquing a head down and the bolt stripped out which is the reason I went to studs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Thats been a problem with torquing the headbolts on a 400 since they were first introduced back in the early 70's!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head Gasket Question   Head Gasket Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Head Gasket Question
Page 1 of 1