GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Belt size with out a pollution pump.

Go down 
+2
1phastsswagon
Fred Kiehl
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Belt size with out a pollution pump. Empty
PostSubject: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:13 am

Sorry guys I remember reading about this but cant find it.

My wagon started to make alot of noise, so I looked around and saw the belt shaking. Took the belt off and it was the pollution pump pulley..

I dont have cats so I am taking it off and would like to know what size and number belt it would be.

btw, its a 5.7 350 tbi.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:21 am

The belt is a K060950. You may be able to use one a tiny bit shorter than that as well. It will put the belt wear indicator about 1/2 of the range for a good belt. That is what I have on my car with the air pump removed.

Belt rerouting:

Its very simple really, the whole trick lies in the belt routing. The stock setup in a clockwise manner: Tensioner, over the alternator, down to the power steering pump, under the crank, under and over the water pump, back to the ac compressor. The problem in just removing the pump with this belt routing is that the tensioner will interfere with the belt coming off of the water pump to the AC compressor.
To remedy the situation a different belt routing is necessary. Clockwise instead of having the belt coming off of the power steering pump going to the bottom of the crank, have it come up over the top of the water pump, back under the water pump then around the crank and off the bottom of the crank to the AC compressor. All of your accessories will turn as they did, and you will be able to remove the pollution pump. If this all sounds A little confusing, look at the picture below. Courtesy of MadMax
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 pm

You guys are amazing! thanks.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Most of are soso,Fred is an amazing old fart!
Jim lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Fred is like my grease God .Always there when I need him and he's always right. I hope I can help out one of you guys one day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 8:00 pm

I went all over for the belt and they do not have it ha ha! they said they never heard of that number. weird. pep boy style store are dumb. ill try the old school parts store tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Go to Auto Zone and ask for a 950K6 or a 5060950 belt. Its a very common number in their stores. On my camaro 305 tb with doing the smog pump delete I used a 968K6 belt which fit very well (also from Auto Zone)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks! got it. I read you can gain 2 hp. that's cool too.

There a black think that gos on top. it has a filter. I took the filter off and found metal particles. can I delete that too. it gos to the tbi and back some where. so plugging the holes will be Ok?
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Are you taking about the unit thats tied into the pump on the passenger side above the exh manifold?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes sir.
whats that?
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Thats all the other Smog pump stuff. If you remove the pump there is a tube off the back of the pump that if I remember correctly goes to that - remove that as well. I know on my camaro I had smog tubes on both manifolds (I removed the tubes of the manifolds as well and capped off the holes on the manifolds with pipe plugs)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Very cool!

Off subject. Did you buy the door that came with the mirror? what year is your wagon? 91 white olds with an impala hood?

looks sick!
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank & Yes it's a 91 OCC with the SS Hood & Grill. Has Impala SS Emblems on the C Pillars, and Tailgate. SS Wheels with OE Size SS Rubber up front, and 275/50/17's on the back.

And to get back on the subject if you remove it all (Smog / Emissions) it cleans up the eng compartment alot, gives it a much cleaner look, and easier to work on around
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Hey Robert,have any clearance issues with those 275/50s on the back?Was thinking about going that on all 4 wheels.
Looks great
Jim
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Hey Robert,have any clearance issues with those 275/50s on the back?Was thinking about going that on all 4 wheels.
Looks great
Jim

Jim with the SS Wheels I have NO Issues what so ever - I sent you a PM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 pm

the ss wheels are reverse deep dish. I tryed them on once.

Its funny u went with the impala look i want the occ look and I have a caprice.

But im the only one with a caprice wagon for miles. all i see are buicks here.

sorry guys it miller time.,
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:14 pm

The fittings at the exhaust manifold are pipe thread, I think they are 1/4 or 3/8 inch. You can get them out if you cut the tubing off and use a socket. The pipe plugs have a square end for the wrench.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 pm

You can also find them with a inverted (female) allen key style - Got mine at a local Mom & Pop hardware store, and paid .15 cents each for them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 5:52 am

I like this thread.

Adding AIR pump removal to Christmas list. It's been disconnected since I bought the car (headers).

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:12 am

If your not in a State that you have to worry about emmisions its a very easy way to lose weight, and clean up the engine compartment. I myself will be doing the OCC when I get the time.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am

You can use either a 95 or 96 inch belt afterward, both will work. The 95 gets put under a bit more tension, as the spring is compressed more. Here's a picture of the routing after the smog pump is removed.

By the way, anytime a A.I.R. pump is removed it ideally should also be be reprogrammed out of the ECM, as the ECM will still try to activate it within it's calibration. Plenty of people will tell you they never did this and it runs fine. Here's a link to what should be done and why.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:39 am

CarloNYC wrote:
Fred is like my grease God .Always there when I need him and he's always right. I hope I can help out one of you guys one day.

I am not always right.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:48 am

lakeffect wrote:
You can use either a 95 or 96 inch belt afterward, both will work. The 95 gets put under a bit more tension, as the spring is compressed more. Here's a picture of the routing after the smog pump is removed.

By the way, anytime a A.I.R. pump is removed it ideally should also be be reprogrammed out of the ECM, as the ECM will still try to activate it within it's calibration. Plenty of people will tell you they never did this and it runs fine. Here's a link to what should be done and why.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The OP has an LO5 not an LT1...totally different belt path.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Fred, his original indication was that it was a 5.7 tbi "btw, its a 5.7 350 tbi."

The picture is not of an LT1. I suspect the the center plenum and throttle body threw you..
A closer look shows it is a 350TBI that was converted over to TPI by me into "Shammoo"

It is using the same original serpentine system as was fitted by GM in 1993 to all 5.7 TBI's minus the A.I.R. pump.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 am

You are right the alternator threw me as well. (not to mention the purple pulleys)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 pm

I live in NYC . the cops dont care anymore about car smog. there looking for car bombs lol.

starting on the car now. thanks guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 7:29 pm

All done! Smug pump bolts did not want to come off! lol. I had to use a big hammer.

Will post pics and tell the belt size I used because the others where to big.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Ditto... this is one of those things i've wanted to do since I bought the car.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Did you try the belt size I stated. I keep the packaging in my glovebox, so I do not have to remember it if I need a belt.

The belt is a K060950. You may be able to use one a tiny bit shorter than that as well. It will put the belt wear indicator about 1/2 of the range for a good belt. That is what I have on my car with the air pump removed.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 11:32 pm

In the part number"K060950, the 95 stands for inches.

That's the same part I've used as well.

Not sure why yours would have been the wrong size. Did you verify the belt path per pictures and instructions. Remember you are using a reverse direction water pump on serpentine systems, not like old individual belt systems where the pump turned in the same direction as the crankshaft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 11:48 pm

The belt number was 5060945. I did'nt even have to adjust anything! perfect tension
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 1:34 am

I stated that you might be able to use a slightly shorter belt. the 5060945 is 1/2 inch shorter. I will probably use the shorter belt if I need another one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 am

506094 is perfect, because I did'nt know how to adjust the spring tension.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 7:56 am

There is no adjustment for the spring tension.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 9:26 am

It's "self" adjusting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am

oh Ok. 1/4 inch play up and down.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:25 am

On my set up , with the air filter hanging out the front, I had to be careful that the tensioner wheel was not swung up too high, that it would cause interference.

The 96" belt allowed the pulley to swing down out of the way of the filter better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 am

I see now. It looks pretty close to that filter ha ha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Pulled mine today. It was making noise, and it's been disconnected since I bought the car anyway (headers...)

Thanks for the pic, Dave.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Pulled mine today. It was making noise, and it's been disconnected since I bought the car anyway (headers...)

Thanks for the pic, Dave.

So how did it go? Did you pull the tubes of the manifold, and plug them up to. looks alot cleaner under there to now huh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Well, my car had headers when I bought it, so none of the tubes (or manifolds :p ) were ever there.

I ended up using a 95.5" belt though. Fit like a charm after I realized it wasn't routed the same way as stock.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 am

Glad you got it going....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am

Im just looking for a cheep used headers for it now. any idea?
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:05 pm

If you are just looking to clean up you engine bay alittle, and looking for more of a "sound" and not looking for a major performance gain. Look for a cheap set of shorties. Then have a local shop build a set of extension/down pipes from there. Down side is you will have mod your crossmember / get a tubular one / or get a LT1 crossmember and mod that to work

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:11 pm

thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Or not worry about the crossmember and go with a 3" single exhaust.Cheaper and easier to do
and no performance loss either,
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:30 pm

^ That's what my car has.
Back to top Go down
Wagonmaster russ

Wagonmaster russ

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am

I'm running headers and 3" single with Magnaflow Cat and Muffler, sounds great.
I used an Air pump delete bracket from GM

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Nice looking wagon Russ.This is Jim the guy who contacted you about your maroon steering wheel.
Glad you came over for a visit and I hope you stay a while.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt size with out a pollution pump.   Belt size with out a pollution pump. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt size with out a pollution pump.
Page 1 of 1