GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Y code 307 Olds gauge install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
68GS400

68GS400

Y code 307 Olds gauge install Empty
PostSubject: Y code 307 Olds gauge install   Y code 307 Olds gauge install Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 am

I want to add oil, volt and temperature gauges to a '89 Buick wagon. The engine temperature installation is aways a challenge: do any of you know where I can place the sending unit and maintain all of the engine control sensors? Since the gauges are mounted low, beneath the dash, having the warning lights operate is also a benefit to maintaining original sensors. That red light really gets the driver's attention, especially when the driver is someone who does not look at gauges (my sister - engine overheated on my '67!)
For the oil pressure sending, I usually insert a "T" so both the gauge and stock sending unit work. I have thought about this for the water sensor, but think it will become bulky. Water temp sensors tend to be large with resultant large pipe fittings.
I have Buick and Chilton's service manuals but cannot find a 'spare' plugged fitting. With the vast level of knowledge at this site, someone has probably done this and can help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Y code 307 Olds gauge install   Y code 307 Olds gauge install Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 am

John,good morning and autometer makes a piigyback water temp sensor that is very compact
and just replaces the original sensor on top of the engine.I cant find my Summit catalog as my
brother swipes them and hides them from me.It in the section with all their different gauges.
Jim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Y code 307 Olds gauge install   Y code 307 Olds gauge install Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 11:39 am

are you adding mechanical gauges or electric ones with senders?
i,m pretty sure for an olds (although i must confess i have only a little experience with the doggy smoggy 307 motors) takes it,s water temp from the front of the intake close to the t-stat,. see if there,s an extra plug that you can remove and put the water sensor in.forget the manual, it,s a look and see type thing, when dealing with olds motors in different cars they used different intakes, the oil pressure is real easy right at the front of the engine,.next to the oilfill tube,. just "tee" in where the factory idiot light has its sender,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: Y code 307 Olds gauge install   Y code 307 Olds gauge install Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:53 pm

The gauge sender or bulb has to be immersed in the coolant to work, T's won't work.

You normally use a radiator hose adapter fitting if you don't have a place for the temp sender or want to keep the light with the mechanical gauge.
For example,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I would recommend using the copper line to the oil pressure gauge instead of the nylon line, you can get the copper line kits with the compression fittings at the parts store, got mine at Auto Zone.
You can get the brass T's and any other fittings at the hardware store. I run the copper line through vacuum line to jazz it up and protect it when I do them.
Olds 350's have another threaded opening on the front of the manifold opposite the water temp sender, had a vacuum switch in it on mine, not familiar with the 307.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Y code 307 Olds gauge install   Y code 307 Olds gauge install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Y code 307 Olds gauge install
Page 1 of 1